• 83(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
Nearly. Thanks for the cooperation. If you look at the log yourself - you see that every 2 seconds a non existing repo is refreshed .... :-( can you also remove those?

Then we most likely will see a faulty state machine transition.

Edit: And if you are at it, please post the log with the OE pastebinit tool - that's easier to view on my mobile phone directly.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-09-25, 17:37)fritsch Wrote: Nearly. Thanks for the cooperation. If you look at the log yourself - you see that every 2 seconds a non existing repo is refreshed .... :-( can you also remove those?

Then we most likely will see a faulty state machine transition.

Edit: And if you are at it, please post the log with the OE pastebinit tool - that's easier to view on my mobile phone directly.

Ok, fritsch, you are my hero. I step by step deleted those repos and finally the problem was solved (obviously was depending on the "repository.lambda" which was linking to some ""bitbocket.org".source - I do not know where I got it from or what addon on it was necessary for). Therefore I have to admit that I was wrong and those repos actually can cause trouble. I always thought they were just executed when I try to download some addon. That's why I never deleted them. Hmm...

So thank you very much. I now keep waiting for some solution as to the sync problem (seems you guys are already discussing some issues with audio and video sync). I meanwhile keep Kodi at 50Hz avoiding the refreshrate change when enetering fullscreen in LiveTV. THat serves as a workaround.

As to pastebin: I tried to upload the log there but it was too big. I do not have a premium account there. So I used dropbox instead. Sorry for that.

Best regards and one more time: Thank you very much for your support (though I am an ugly user of some banned addons) :-)

FantasticN
Quote:Ok, fritsch, you are my hero. I step by step deleted those repos and finally the problem was solved (obviously was depending on the "repository.lambda" which was linking to some ""bitbocket.org".source - I do not know where I got it from or what addon on it was necessary for). Therefore I have to admit that I was wrong and those repos actually can cause trouble. I always thought they were just executed when I try to download some addon. That's why I never deleted them. Hmm...

Yeah - thx much for reporting back. It is much more honest to come back and actually state the own mistaked :-) you got a +1 on my sheet :-)

Quote:So thank you very much. I now keep waiting for some solution as to the sync problem (seems you guys are already discussing some issues with audio and video sync). I meanwhile keep Kodi at 50Hz avoiding the refreshrate change when enetering fullscreen in LiveTV. THat serves as a workaround

This is currently work in process. The most tested use case currently is: Passthrough completely disabled. Just PCM audio out and Sync Playback to Display enabled. Also there is a new setting below Adjust Refreshrate to match video, which you could try. This should wait until the Refreshrate switching is done.

But yes, you are right - Audio Sync is currently 100% reworked by Fernet and there are rough edges. So a log - with the "state machine errors" I could spot through your logging - would be nice.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-09-25, 16:07)Hufvudet Wrote:
(2015-09-25, 15:56)gurabli Wrote:
(2015-09-25, 15:54)Hufvudet Wrote: Ah, sorry. I have openelec tunnel view and didn't even think about real linux Smile

Regarding your TV, then it's probably limited.

No problemSmile I tried out, saw it is not working, reverted the settings, and asked hereSmile

So I should use limited in Kodi with dithering turned off? It does give me brighter picture and black, and they do not seam to me washed out.

Curious, what happens to the picture if you don't enable 16-235 in kodi?

It us much darker. Or if I enable limited, everything is brighter, depends how you interpret itSmile
As it is a plasma screen, backs and whites are very nice with both, but Kodi set to full is nicer, I would say.
With ion I need to set full, as with limited it is very washed out. Guess the driver sets there limited.
Choose what you like :-) Washed out is not possible anymore with the new code besides really you output Limited and have a full rgb screen. Make a picture of your TV with this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...172435.png
I just realized this: as I use my rig as NAS and a home server too, it is turned on all the time. If I turn off the tv, and I turn it on again, the screen is black, can't get back Kodi, just with a restart. Is there a way to keep HDMI active or to reinitialize it?
sudo systemctl restart kodi

or perhaps DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --auto helps?
It seems like the refresh rate switching is kinda slow, after channel startup I get a screen flash after about 2 seconds. If I hurry up and press the codec menu the refresh rate is changing from 29 to 60. EDIT: also cpu usage seems kinda high.
http://sprunge.us/XBOJ
(2015-09-25, 19:21)fritsch Wrote: sudo systemctl restart kodi

or perhaps DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --auto helps?

Systemctl restart is not good, as it requires keyboard. Maybe a script and mapping it to remote.

How do I add xrandr --auto to autostart?
(2015-09-25, 18:56)gurabli Wrote:
(2015-09-25, 16:07)Hufvudet Wrote:
(2015-09-25, 15:56)gurabli Wrote: No problemSmile I tried out, saw it is not working, reverted the settings, and asked hereSmile

So I should use limited in Kodi with dithering turned off? It does give me brighter picture and black, and they do not seam to me washed out.

Curious, what happens to the picture if you don't enable 16-235 in kodi?

It us much darker. Or if I enable limited, everything is brighter, depends how you interpret itSmile
As it is a plasma screen, backs and whites are very nice with both, but Kodi set to full is nicer, I would say.
With ion I need to set full, as with limited it is very washed out. Guess the driver sets there limited.

There's your answer. If the screen goes darker when you disable 16-235 in kodi you definitely have a limited range only TV. Like fritsch said, washed is not possible unless you go - kodi limited + TV full range.

And since you have a limited range TV the only correct setting, with full range GPU via xrandr, is = 16-235 enabled in kodi. When you disable that you get black crush which might look nice for three minutes until you notice that all detail in shadows is lost.
(2015-09-25, 18:57)fritsch Wrote: Choose what you like :-) Washed out is not possible anymore with the new code besides really you output Limited and have a full rgb screen. Make a picture of your TV with this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...172435.png

Something is strange.

System starts, Kodi set to limited before restart. Everything looks bright, test pattern is fully visible, maybe except 0. Looks too bright.
I start to play live tv, refresh rate is adjusted, and it is not bright anymore with limited, but like b) below. Switching to full makes it very dark, like c). However, if I play a video where no refresh rate is needed, it remains very bright, like a).

a) Kodi set to limited, dithering on, first boot: 0 is dark, everything else is visible, very bright.
b) Kodi set to limited, dithering on, but after refresh rate change: 0-1-2 is black, not visible. 3 is visible, but barely, 4 start to be more, 5 is visible.
c) Kodi set to full, dithering on, after refresh rate change: no square is visible, everything is black, very dark.

To me it looks that b) is the best, but it is achieved only when refresh rate change is needed.

Edit:

Can I leave dithering on (8) with limited?
seems that 16-235 config get confusion for many people , also for me as many people know Big Grin

I suggest also to download avs hd 709 test and run basic test, read the pdf attached

If i may i suggest to integrate some test in video calibration with manual how to set, maybe a wizard to setup tv

remember to calibrate first contrast and brightness from tv, and after from player
:-)

Yeah and a free Toaster for everyone ...
mmmh not bad Big Grin
(2015-09-25, 18:26)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:Ok, fritsch, you are my hero. I step by step deleted those repos and finally the problem was solved (obviously was depending on the "repository.lambda" which was linking to some ""bitbocket.org".source - I do not know where I got it from or what addon on it was necessary for). Therefore I have to admit that I was wrong and those repos actually can cause trouble. I always thought they were just executed when I try to download some addon. That's why I never deleted them. Hmm...

Yeah - thx much for reporting back. It is much more honest to come back and actually state the own mistaked :-) you got a +1 on my sheet :-)

Quote:So thank you very much. I now keep waiting for some solution as to the sync problem (seems you guys are already discussing some issues with audio and video sync). I meanwhile keep Kodi at 50Hz avoiding the refreshrate change when enetering fullscreen in LiveTV. THat serves as a workaround

This is currently work in process. The most tested use case currently is: Passthrough completely disabled. Just PCM audio out and Sync Playback to Display enabled. Also there is a new setting below Adjust Refreshrate to match video, which you could try. This should wait until the Refreshrate switching is done.

But yes, you are right - Audio Sync is currently 100% reworked by Fernet and there are rough edges. So a log - with the "state machine errors" I could spot through your logging - would be nice.

Hi fritsch,

activated the new option "sync video to monitor" as you suggested (though I actually thought this option did exist in previous builds as well). But then video is totally jerky and stuttering.

Here are the logs:

Option "sync video to Monitor" disabled(audio out of sync): http://xbmclogs.com/psbberzzt

option "sync video to monitor" enabled (video jerky and stuttering, no audio at all): http://xbmclogs.com/pjx8us23e

Regards,

FantasticN
  • 83(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18