• 85(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-09-23, 19:45)trsqr Wrote: It's me again and the "seeking eats memory until crash" thing. This time with the latest PPAs (dist-upgrade done on the evening on Sep 23).

After seeking back and forth within a H.264 encoded video with VAAPI enabled, kodi is killed.

[ 1508.922393] Out of memory: Kill process 9529 (Vaapi-Output) score 820 or sacrifice child
[ 1508.922398] Killed process 8858 (kodi.bin) total-vm:14554632kB, anon-rss:2821568kB, file-rss:0kB

This is a Braswell system with 4GB memory and built according to post #1.

dmesg: http://paste.ubuntu.com/12533184/
kodi.log: http://trsqr.net/olli/kodi.log.gz

EDIT: I think it took much longer this time to consume everything, but this is just a hunch.

I'm definitely getting this same thing. Well, by that I mean crashes when seeking. It seems the higher the bitrate of the video, the faster it happens. Remuxed BD sources (like 25-35gb) crash on the first 1-3 seeks. Other files can go a lot longer. The picture and user interface locks up. Sometimes the audio continues bitstreaming, and sometimes I can actually seek once or twice more and hear the audio change. But basically the one way to get control of the box back is a hard power off.
You also don't have a swapfile / swap partition?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I doubt it. I'm running the stock OpenElec image, so... whatever it configured. Chromebox i3 w/4gb 16gb SSD.

Turning off "Prefer VAAPI" stops the lockups.

I notice that rarely after the picture locks up (any user interface elements get stuck on as well), and I'm randomly hitting stop/power in the hopes of it doing something, the picture will go black and the TV will re-sync to a new refresh rate, but nothing will appear, and it will still be frozen.

I also notice that sometimes I see corruption in the picture when I'm seeking with VAAPI enabled - like a bit of garbled data, or a frame that seems to be two frames merged together. A few times it's frozen on that image. I don't see this with VAAPI disabled.

Again, it's harder to trigger this with low-bitrate files. But quite easy with high-bitrate files - I can usually get the box to lock up in a minute or two with a big file and a bunch of rapid random seeks.
Does this btw. also happen with 5.95.5 and Prefer VAAPI Render Method?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I want to report back that in the latest ppa build from 27.09 the delay for DTS Audio is gone for me.
AC3 Audio is also in sync.
In had everything turned to zero for testing in the "advancesettings.xml"
Thanks for the great work.
(2015-09-27, 11:06)fritsch Wrote: Does this btw. also happen with 5.95.5 and Prefer VAAPI Render Method?

Just downgraded. Re-enabled VAAPI, spent 10 minutes torture-testing with the same file... and no lockups. I have skip delays disabled, and one sure way to kill the system on the updated VAAPI is to hold down a 30-second skip for 5 seconds (basically forces it to jump through an hour of video 30 seconds at a time). No such issue here no matter what I did.

I notice memory usage seems lower. After my latest testing session, reported memory usage was 7%. But with the updated VAAPI, after a little bit of seeking (assuming I hadn't yet triggered a crash) I would often see 12-15% usage.
Okay. Then back to scratch board :-)
Hopefully someone else can add confirmation, or you'll be able to reproduce it. But it's not something that presents right away, and it hasn't even happened yet on my other Chromebox, probably because I only ever play much smaller files.
I just tried as good as I can on my offic PC. Used Latest fernetmenta master branch, watching BBB 2160p H264 via VAAPI and cannot reproduce for the hell out of it. Usage climbs a bit but then falls down again ....

Btw. you obviously do this in fullscreen right?

Edit: Ah nice - I see something (in fullscreen). After really pressing a whole lot the Memory usage (RES column) went up to 1.342G of Memory while seeking ...

27843 fritsch 20 0 7395076 1,342g 69260 S 3,7 4,3 0:04.79 VideoPlayer
Okay - now I pressed nearly half an hour and after some time it just keeps what it has.

Can you exactly describe, what I need to do? What settings should I chose? Any skins you use that I don't?
Definitely full-screen. Does OE even have a non-fullscreen mode?

Use the biggest file you have - like a full demux of a BD. Small files I can mess around with without (immediate) issue.

Using stock Confluence skin. I have skip delays disabled (so seeks are instant - not buffered). All I basically do is, on a 30gb file being streamed from a NAS, skip around random. Use chapter up down, use 30-second back and forth, try fast-forward and rewind... maybe stop and come back a few times if it's not happening right away... me, I have the 10-second skip disabled, so my "small step forward" is 30 seconds always, and holding that key down for 5-10 seconds will almost always lock it up after a few usages.
Yeah and then what should I do? I pressed right, right, right on Parcifal a 45 GB Bluary Rip with 4:51 hours length.
(added info to previous post you may have missed)

Just tons of random skipping. No particular sequence. Big jumps, little jumps, forwards, backwards. Hold the keys down so it's forced to skip constantly, especially if it hasn't already found the section it was looking for while you're still piling on skip commands Note that I'm usually bitstreaming HD audio (DTS-HD Master) which may or may not make a difference.

Also a 5 hour 45gb Blu-ray is going to have a much lower average bitrate than a 30gb 2 hour movie. I'm not sure if bitrate is the key component, but I have many compressed movies (ie ~10gb) that don't seem to trigger the problem nearly as easily.
You can find out if it makes a difference - can you disable it?
Which - bitstreaming DTS-HD?
  • 85(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18