Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
I guess that depends on how the range conversion process works now. Currently, I know xrandr resets the signal when going from full to limited, but I don't know if that's something necessitude by the process of enabling/disabling range conversion, or whether that's just a result of toggling the limited flag on/off which causes the TV to adjust itself.

If the latter, and range conversion could be enabled/disabled on the fly for at least "range aware" full-screen applications, then I would say that switching from Kodi back to the desktop should definitely return to compressing 0-255 as 16-235 as default. So, for example, have a desktop where 0-255 is automatically compressed as 16-235, and a "range aware" application where 0-255 remains as such. Seems like similar capabilities exist for hardware-accelerated video playback, where the video playback overlay can have entirely different color properties from everything else.

If that's impossible, and the only option would be to continue to crush blacks on the desktop, then I still say this feature would be useful for standalone media boxes like OpenElec, where there is no desktop to worry about, and the priority is providing a top-notch media experience.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - by Sunflux - 2015-09-30, 09:40
Live TV broken again? - by schamane - 2016-02-29, 19:56
Random crashes - by hal2100 - 2016-03-08, 22:03