• 121(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-11-01, 22:11)-zero- Wrote: I had problems with ubuntu 15.10 and kodi.
I had to create a symlink for libcurl.so.4 otherwise kodi was not aware of it.

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl-gnutls.so.4 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4

This was not necessary with ubuntu 15.04.

Mmmh: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4 is provided by libcurl3

@wsnipex: anything we need to change?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-01, 21:20)fritsch Wrote: No. As now said 150 times ... this passsthrough patch is not in 4.3-rc7 and it will never be anywhere upstream. Cause they intel folks don't like the passthrough approach.

If you cannot build your own kernel, use Full and set kodi to limited.

Thanks for info and thanks for kernel - i've build my own with previous rc versions (thanks to your giudes). I asked because i just have missed these 150 times ;-)

Not good IMHO that intel folks don't like the passthrough approach - at least on my TV (which started whole passthrough thread) with stock kernel with HDMI set to Full and Kodi set to limited everything looks really weird. It's good enough (but not as good as with passthrough) with both HDMI and Kodi set to Full.

So I'll wait for final 4.3 kernel, add pasthrough patch (or use your patched version if you will kindly provide it) and it will make me happy Kodi user :-)
final 4.3 kernel won't have anything at all that you might need ... but if you sleep better with a final tagged version :-) just wait.

Intel wants to solve it differently: In userspace ... they want that the application can tell the kernel that some window / content / frame whatever should be handled differently. But no code at all is written and no user space application was adjusted and most likely won't be for the next 2 years
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-01, 23:40)fritsch Wrote: final 4.3 kernel won't have anything at all that you might need ... but if you sleep better with a final tagged version :-) just wait.
For sure i will - i know that final 4.3 won't have anything related to this thread but i like things to be current and final :-)
(2015-11-01, 23:40)fritsch Wrote: Intel wants to solve it differently: In userspace ... they want that the application can tell the kernel that some window / content / frame whatever should be handled differently. But no code at all is written and no user space application was adjusted and most likely won't be for the next 2 years
I see their point of view - solution on kernel level is maybe to general and hardware-dependent (specially for multiplatform apps like Kodi) but their approach is unreal in real world. I prefer solution which is available right now and works really well. So thank you guys once more for your work on Kodi and on this thread. For sure i'll make donation straight to you (i know at least fritsch and wsnipex).
Do you plan to add advanced video scalers like superxbr and nnedi3?

Could you integrate sharpeners like adaptive-sharpen?
This is a working glsl shader: https://gist.github.com/bjin/e22e96861669e897cf65

It would be amazing to get these features in the new video player.
fritsch, before you roll out your "final" OE6+EGL build, would you mind adding some patches (from the kernel bug tracker) to 4.3 to fix the thermal management on resume from suspend? Affects quite a few boards, chromeboxes in particular. I'm building/testing now and will submit a PR to you when confirmed
Hi there, I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the work! I'm a noob and can't really help with testing, but I picked up an ASRock Beebox N3000 to replace an old windows-based HTPC. I tried installing the generic openelec build, but got the error: "Failed to start xorg. Is your GPU supported?" Downloaded the 1026 img from this thread and installed it with no problems. Everything's working great for me. Just wanted to add the data point and say Thanks!
(2015-11-02, 01:38)geofred1993 Wrote: Do you plan to add advanced video scalers like superxbr and nnedi3?

Could you integrate sharpeners like adaptive-sharpen?
This is a working glsl shader: https://gist.github.com/bjin/e22e96861669e897cf65

It would be amazing to get these features in the new video player.

If you properly PR them - why not. We currently have more work that we can do in 5 years - so if you need a feature please implement it and PR it.
(2015-11-02, 03:18)Matt Devo Wrote: fritsch, before you roll out your "final" OE6+EGL build, would you mind adding some patches (from the kernel bug tracker) to 4.3 to fix the thermal management on resume from suspend? Affects quite a few boards, chromeboxes in particular. I'm building/testing now and will submit a PR to you when confirmed

Just PR them and I will pick them.
Wonder if we should upgrade from Vivid to Wily, or we can continue use the PPA with Vivid?
Read the first page, please - and tell me afterwards what should be formulated more clearly.
(2015-11-02, 09:24)fritsch Wrote: Read the first page, please - and tell me afterwards what should be formulated more clearly.

I'm very sorry, but for new install it is clear that Wily is required. For those of us, who are running for longer time now on Vivid and using the PPA, it is not clear that we should upgrade to Wily or do a clean new install of Wily. Maybe please add this information to make things clear? I believe this will work:

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

I'm not sure what happens after a release upgrade with the custom Intel driver I installed on Vivid?
(2015-11-01, 18:35)fritsch Wrote: As I needed edid overwriting myself today here is a short howto on how to boot completely without TV / AVR but having correct EDID information. This will work for intel and radeon:

Hello fritsch,

when you boot your system with overriden edid have you also discovered that the /proc/asound/card0/eld* is not setted. Monitor and eld valid is zero. Therefore no functional sound in kodi.

the last days i tried to get this work. i have many debug logs viewed and came to the conclusion that the intel/drm driver seems to try to get the edid from the monitor for sound even if a valid edid file is given. the eld and SAD is always correct. but the message "monitor has basic sound support" is not displayed.

My root problem is, that the intel driver/chipset has a problem with my Pioneer pdp 434. it is not detected at all. neither on the n3150 asrock board nor on my intel notebook. The Amd (replaced a4-5000 board) and nvidia driver is working.

with some hacks i got audio working when monitor is off and avr on during boot. Also when monitor is off / avr on and "xrand -- set audio off; xrand --set audio on" will get sound working.

last weekend i tried the OE6 build with isengard from page #1 to get rid of some ugly kernel crashes and try the EGL/videoplayer work. One crash is still happen when system will power off.
"-d" is not needed.

From the howto given, do the following:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo  ppa-purge ppa:wsnipex/vaapi
sudo ppa-purge ppa:wsnipex/mesa
sudo ppa-purge ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master

Now do the ubuntu release upgrade. After the reboot do:
Code:
sudo apt-get install deborphan
sudo apt-get remove --purge `deborphan`
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/vaapi
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master
# Yes no mesa ppa is needed anymore
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Now to make sure nothing is missing, do the install command again:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ssh python-software-properties software-properties-common xorg alsa-utils mesa-utils git-core librtmp1 lirc libmad0 lm-sensors libmpeg2-4 avahi-daemon libnfs8 libva1 vainfo libva-intel-vaapi-driver linux-firmware dbus-x11 openbox pastebinit

sudo apt-get install kodi kodi-bin

After a
Code:
sudo reboot

Everything should be fine.
(2015-11-02, 10:53)the-dreamer Wrote:
(2015-11-01, 18:35)fritsch Wrote: As I needed edid overwriting myself today here is a short howto on how to boot completely without TV / AVR but having correct EDID information. This will work for intel and radeon:

Hello fritsch,

when you boot your system with overriden edid have you also discovered that the /proc/asound/card0/eld* is not setted. Monitor and eld valid is zero. Therefore no functional sound in kodi.

the last days i tried to get this work. i have many debug logs viewed and came to the conclusion that the intel/drm driver seems to try to get the edid from the monitor for sound even if a valid edid file is given. the eld and SAD is always correct. but the message "monitor has basic sound support" is not displayed.

My root problem is, that the intel driver/chipset has a problem with my Pioneer pdp 434. it is not detected at all. neither on the n3150 asrock board nor on my intel notebook. The Amd (replaced a4-5000 board) and nvidia driver is working.

with some hacks i got audio working when monitor is off and avr on during boot. Also when monitor is off / avr on and "xrand -- set audio off; xrand --set audio on" will get sound working.

last weekend i tried the OE6 build with isengard from page #1 to get rid of some ugly kernel crashes and try the EGL/videoplayer work. One crash is still happen when system will power off.

This only happens on N3150 - sadly, it works on core i3. Please file a bug at bugs.freedesktop.org supply them drm.debug=0xe and describe the issue. Afterwards please Post a link to the bugreport here. Before you do this, can you please try with this edid: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...arantz.bin

Edit: "Concerning your one crash still happens" - as long as I don't see the issue I cannot help ...which crash are you talking about, what crashes?
  • 121(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18