• 135(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
Just released OpenELEC-6.0.96-fritsch edition which contains the get_buffer workaround and some further usable backports ... that you can see in my egl-isengard branch. I hope we are done now.

I will rebuild Jarvis-Version later, after fernet has rebased. Then we can go right away into v16 beta direction :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi fritsch,

I am constantly updating my three PCs with your OpenElec Jarvis Nightlies. Unfortunately I have to report that with the current build OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0-devel-20151104072854-r21538-gb57169c I am now - again - having problems with my iMac 27". System is starting but Kodi is not comming up (black screen). I can access the system via SSH, but not via webinterace.

I have attached the log (previously deleting all those addons which I recall you do not like): http://pastebin.com/M4P0JuE8

However, I think it is again connected to the kernel build. I am not an expert but I think you updated to version 4.4.0. I now tried Milhouse latest release OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0-Milhouse-20151107222924-#1107-ge1c98c8 and it is working fine. He is still using kernel 4.3.0. Any time the kernel is updated it seems something is missing for my iMac thought it consists of Intel CPU and AMD/ATi GPU :-(

Brgds,

FantasticN
Nope - running kernel 4.3.0 also. Though I don't test on non intel hardware.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-09, 21:20)fritsch Wrote: Known issue with shitty AVRs since a long time. Be it Pioneer, Yamaha or whatever - the issue is only happening with 44.1 khz and a refreshrate > 30 hz, e.g. 1080p60 - here is the upstream bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75038

Subscribe and tell them: Ey guys it's not yet fixed for me with kernel 4.3.0

As a shortterm workaround I added a patch to OE some time ago to overrule AudioEngine, put this to /storage/.config/advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<minimumsamplerate>48000</minimumsamplerate>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

Edit: If you see in that bugreport I asked Jani if he can specify which patches fixing this issue. I hope he will come back to us - of not, we need to retest with kernel 4.4 and see if it's working.

Lovely! That got the sound working, even though it is a hack Smile

I'll contribute to getting that bug solved in any way I can.
New rebased Version of OpenELEC master + fernet's latest master branch online at the usual place. I removed the older versions as they are obsolete: http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/openelec/...r_testing/
(2015-11-10, 16:32)fritsch Wrote: Then we can go right away into v16 beta direction :-)

Sounds great, looking forward to itSmile
I was using latest 6.0 release, with the limited colour range off. Today I tried OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0-devel-20151110195330-r21567-g685e6e7 build. By default limited range setting was on, tv picture looked normal though. I tried to turn if off and picture became too dark. I boot into installed 6.0 version and tried to enable limited range - image became lighter.
In other words brightness depending on setting and iso in ligher->darker order: 6.0/limited > 6.0/full > devel/limited > devel/full.

Is it expected? Also Im not sure does my TV support full range or not.
The official OpenELEC version from www.openelec.tv is in no way to be compared / confused with the version in this thread.

The builds posted here, use:

"Passthrough 16:235" Mode by default in combination with kodi's Limited Range Setting. All Video colors are transfered untouched to the TV, which should be Limited Range. All Pictures are scaled to 16:235 range within kodi and then output without further scaling. To add, if you disable "Use Limited Range" in this kodi version, the Video data is expanded to 0..255 and banding is cared for by adding dithering. Pictures and menu are output as full rgb (0..255) and not touched. If your TV is limited range - disabling that "Use Limited range" setting makes kodi look much too dark. If your TV is full range - it should look okay - as our kernel mode does not interfer, it just lets everything you set out onto the display.

Official OE release uses:
A fucked up mode, called "Limited 16:235" - where the driver rescales everything it gets to 16:235 by its own while it is assuming full range input (!). So it is perfectly clear, that when you enable "Use Limited Range in kodi", that kodi scales to 16:235 but then _the driver_ does that again ... you end up with a super bright menus. For the Video output of VAAPI that does not count - as this nightmare code has blown up the Limited to full range by itself while the surfaces were copied. (Read the first post, please).

If you run the ubuntu tutorial version without a "Passthrough 16:235" kernel - you should set the kernel to Full Range and then use kodi's setting to choose the Range as described in the first post.

In short:
Official OpenELEC should not be used if you care a single bit about colors ...
Thank you for explanation. So I understand it should be full with official and limited with devel.
Not really ... it's not so easy. I explained that in great detail in this thread .... I don't want to repeat further and further ... use my build and be happy or read the thread.
While playing with devel build (in live mode) I've got black screen twice. Once during boot, and once after starting second video. Will try to reproduce and provide logs.
I wonder if this black screen is the same as my scrambled screen caused randomly when refresh rates changed
do you have avr ? ( i resolve when it occurs toggling on off my avr)

btw for me seems, for what i tested until now, less black screen AND faster refresh rate switch
I do have an avr but just cycling it doesn't always fix it
Debug Log of all of you is needed ... I see now 4 posts here that help us absolutely nothing ...
  • 135(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18