• 139(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-11-11, 17:32)fritsch Wrote: Yes - quite the same.

Well, I tried that but i get no video, just a black screen and audio playing in the background.
Might I have had forgotten something while installing packages?
(2015-11-12, 13:15)noggin Wrote:
(2015-11-12, 07:49)b0mb Wrote: @fritsch

Í´m going to recalibrate my TV.

Should i calibrate it to SRGB or REC. 709 now if i use the 0-255 Color mode?

Do you have any sRGB sources? Pretty much everything I watch (HDTV, Blu-ray) is ITU.709 based (16-235 4:2:0 YCrCb) with the SD stuff ITU.601 (16-235 4:2:0 YCrCb) based (DVDs, SDTV) with a 601->709 conversion done by whatever is playing/receiving ard/or upscaling. I have a small amount of ITU 709 16-235 YCrCb 4:2:2 content too...

Unless you are shooting your own non-ITU 709 content and watching that - or have a scaler or AVR that is doing a colour space conversion away from ITU. 709 - all of your content is likely to be 601 or 709, and your 601 content is likely to be converted to 709 if you are watching it on a device that upscales.

(601 and 709 have different YCrCb->RGB conversion factors hence the difference and conversion requirement)

Is this technical jargon for "everything is Limited anyway, so why bother unless your Martin Scorsese?" I have a Samsung 4k TV that supports "UHD Color". My terrible interpretation of that mode was "Cool! Isn't that a form of Full RGB?, Should probably turn that on and change my Kodi settings." After reading this, sounds like I should turn it all off and settle back into Limited. I had no other reason to change other than "If my shiny new TV supports it, use it."
yes, pretty much
(2015-11-12, 18:41)onizuka Wrote:
(2015-11-12, 13:15)noggin Wrote:
(2015-11-12, 07:49)b0mb Wrote: @fritsch

Í´m going to recalibrate my TV.

Should i calibrate it to SRGB or REC. 709 now if i use the 0-255 Color mode?

Do you have any sRGB sources? Pretty much everything I watch (HDTV, Blu-ray) is ITU.709 based (16-235 4:2:0 YCrCb) with the SD stuff ITU.601 (16-235 4:2:0 YCrCb) based (DVDs, SDTV) with a 601->709 conversion done by whatever is playing/receiving ard/or upscaling. I have a small amount of ITU 709 16-235 YCrCb 4:2:2 content too...

Unless you are shooting your own non-ITU 709 content and watching that - or have a scaler or AVR that is doing a colour space conversion away from ITU. 709 - all of your content is likely to be 601 or 709, and your 601 content is likely to be converted to 709 if you are watching it on a device that upscales.

(601 and 709 have different YCrCb->RGB conversion factors hence the difference and conversion requirement)

Is this technical jargon for "everything is Limited anyway, so why bother unless your Martin Scorsese?" I have a Samsung 4k TV that supports "UHD Color". My terrible interpretation of that mode was "Cool! Isn't that a form of Full RGB?, Should probably turn that on and change my Kodi settings." After reading this, sounds like I should turn it all off and settle back into Limited. I had no other reason to change other than "If my shiny new TV supports it, use it."

Sort of.

If you only watch pre-recorded content from normal sources (DVD, Blu-ray, TV) , then it will be delivered to you in the same two formats. 4:2:0 YCrCb 8 bit Limited 16-235 range in ITU 709 colour space for HD, and ITU 601 colour space for SD. If you upscale SD to HD then the device doing that should do the conversion from 601 to 709 for you.

If you shoot stuff yourself on your own camera and edit it - then if you aren't working in 709 or 601 you probably know enough to know what to do!

The one area I'm less clear about is games consoles playing games - as they are originating content not replaying stuff acquired by others. They may well use the Full Range RGB output if you configure them to do so.
All the modern consoles do support Full RGB within their video settings.....Question is does one benefit from it today? Tomorrow? In that case I assume I would turn on UHD Color when setting a console to Full RGB?

Retroplayer.....guessing those consoles emulated are fat and happy with Limited.

The other normal sources are built in Apps like Amazon and Netflix who promote 4K shows with "features" (dynamic range?)
(2015-11-10, 16:53)fantasticn Wrote: Hi fritsch,

I am constantly updating my three PCs with your OpenElec Jarvis Nightlies. Unfortunately I have to report that with the current build OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0-devel-20151104072854-r21538-gb57169c I am now - again - having problems with my iMac 27". System is starting but Kodi is not comming up (black screen). I can access the system via SSH, but not via webinterace.

I have attached the log (previously deleting all those addons which I recall you do not like): http://pastebin.com/M4P0JuE8

However, I think it is again connected to the kernel build. I am not an expert but I think you updated to version 4.4.0. I now tried Milhouse latest release OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0-Milhouse-20151107222924-#1107-ge1c98c8 and it is working fine. He is still using kernel 4.3.0. Any time the kernel is updated it seems something is missing for my iMac thought it consists of Intel CPU and AMD/ATi GPU :-(

Brgds,

FantasticN

(2015-11-10, 16:55)fritsch Wrote: Nope - running kernel 4.3.0 also. Though I don't test on non intel hardware.

Sorry for comming back to this issue. I know you are currently more into solving video problems with Kodi 16. But since there obviously is a bug introduced causing OpenElec not to run at all on certain systems I think it should be taken care about - of course I do, since I am running the affected hardware :-)) Logs are posted so maybe you can determin the problem.

The iMac 27" (Mod. 2011) is actually based on CPU Intel Core i5-2500S "Sandy Bridge" @ 2,70 GHZ) and GPU AMD Radeon HD 6770M (= mobility) with 512 MB, which OpenElec recognizes as "Gallion 0.4 on AMD TURKS (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.7.0)". This hardware should be quiet common, though it is mostly notebook related. Since I had those problems with OpenElec and the iMac several times before I get the feeling that with certain updates they forget about the support for the AMD mobility graphic cards. But that's just an impression. It could also be related to the support for the sound card which - I have to admit - is not so common (I think it is Cirrus Audio). However, you will probably know better than me.

As to myself I am currently fine since Milhouse release (even latest as of yesterday) is still running smoothly without a problem on the iMac. I just hope that any later releases or official betas or even finals will not introduce the compatibility issues again that the releases in this thread currently seem to have.

Thanks for all your great support and your hardwwork on the development of Kodi and OpenElec!

FantasticN
I don't understand why you post Radeon issues into an Intel EGL thread? Please open an issues on OE's github and provide the relevant logfiles. The builds in this thread are only tested on Intel Hardware which the topic says. Obviously clear you need to check with "master build" OE images.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
New build is online. It includes a long standing audio fix. Tracked down by wsnipex and fixed by FernetMenta. This issue was already introduced in v14 release cycle!
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-13, 11:08)fritsch Wrote: I don't understand why you post Radeon issues into an Intel EGL thread? Please open an issues on OE's github and provide the relevant logfiles. The builds in this thread are only tested on Intel Hardware which the topic says. Obviously clear you need to check with "master build" OE images.

Sorry, I somehow did not get that this thread was only for Intel GPUs. I read about the Intel hardware requierement but thought that this was more related to the CPU. However, I think it is not necessary to open up a separate thread for the problem I reported. Since your build - as you just said - just supports Intel GPUs it explains why the latest release of it have not been starting on my iMac anymore. Also it makes me believe that any official beta or final release we may see later on will include support for other GPUs (like AMD) again and therefore I do not have to fear ending up with OpenElec not running anymore on my machine (like I did twice before).

Thanks for your answer and once again sorry for disturbing the discussion about the video problems (on Intel GPUs).

Regards,

FantasticN
Yeah - though I only test on Intel machines does not mean, that I break it with intention on Radeon machines :-)

Open another thread, please and provide the relevant logfiles from the AMD machine, I need at least: dmesg | pastebinit Xorg.0.log then we will see.
(2015-11-13, 15:13)fritsch Wrote: New build is online. It includes a long standing audio fix. Tracked down by wsnipex and fixed by FernetMenta. This issue was already introduced in v14 release cycle!

anything we should test or notice or just behind the scenes magic?
(2015-11-13, 19:24)jjslegacy Wrote:
(2015-11-13, 15:13)fritsch Wrote: New build is online. It includes a long standing audio fix. Tracked down by wsnipex and fixed by FernetMenta. This issue was already introduced in v14 release cycle!

anything we should test or notice or just behind the scenes magic?
Just the usual testing, please. Perhaps take care a bit on pause, resume and player behaviour when buffering happens.
(2015-11-10, 08:42)fritsch Wrote: Have seen that once, too on my N3150 - but only when I had connected a flirc USB device. Can you retry with all USB stuff unplugged?

Good Point, it wasn't the USB Device, but one of the 5-6 USB BIOS Settings, after Reset to Default the Problem is gone. Thank You Nod
| myHTPC |
I used the newest dev (not isengard) build for a movie tonight and everything appeared to work great. I'll try a movie or two tomorrow and keep a very close eye out for any glitches.
Is this fix related to slow audio resume? That's one reason I've been a bit hesitant to switch to Jarvis. I was so disappointed when I put Isengard on and saw the horrible seek behavior - but then realized that was a new "feature" and, once disabled, I got my rapid seeking and audio sync back. :-) Jarvis then re-introduced some of that lag.
  • 139(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18