• 152(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
OK, here it is - i've applied your passthrough patch to 4.4-rc kernel. Previously i had Limited Range set in Kodi - with this setting and passthrough patch everything "was nearly ok" with 4.3 kernel and with 4.4 with my modified patch, as described if first sentence.

After reboot (so in 4.4-rc3 with your new patch) colours in Kodi were washed-out (much too bright). Playing video made it no better. So i disabled Limited Range in Kodi and colours returned to normal good brightness. But even more - first time with calibration patterns i've everything 100% as it should be in theory with limited range - everything below 16 was black and whites over 235 are white (not over 254 as it was before).
Add some kernel printks please and see if the limited mode is set correctly.

Basically I test as follows:

-> Set kodi to limited range
a) Set Limited 16:235 with xrandr -> everything too bright (as scaled twice) clear
b) Set Video Limited 16:235 with xrandr -> everything great
c) Set "Full" -> kodi still great
d) Set Limited 16:235 with xrandr -> everything too bright
e) b)

=> it's working as it should (for me).

Edit: Does it work if you do it like this:

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Video 16:235 pass-through"
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --off ; DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --auto
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I use PPA so i start Kodi with your recommended script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
OUTPUT=`xrandr -q | sed '/ connected/!d;s/ .*//;q'`
xrandr -display :0 --output $OUTPUT --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
xrandr -display :0 --output $OUTPUT --set "Broadcast RGB" "Video 16:235 pass-through"
xrandr -display :0 --output $OUTPUT --off
xrandr -display :0 --output $OUTPUT --auto
/usr/bin/kodi --standalone
xrandr shows "Video 16:235 pass-through" mode as it should be.
Maybe my TV is special case? Anyway - now maybe it's little bit strange, but picture is perfect Big Grin
Nice - works for me ™ :-)

Can you post your patch - that you said would work, please?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Sh...t, i've deleted it.
But if you really need it i can regenerate it if it helps with something.
(2015-11-30, 23:39)BigL-New Wrote: Sh...t, i've deleted it.
But if you really need it i can regenerate it if it helps with something.

Yes - as you said that one was working - I am curious - as the color_range is gone, which was the decision value before.
Luckly i've patched kernel tree for 4.4-rc2 :-)

The only change i've made to original patch was in intel_hdmi.c - some variables were gone so i tried to adapt patch to this situation (with my not-high coding level Wink ). Here is patch for intel_hdmi.c from 4.4-rc2 kernel. With this patch everything worked 100% as before:

Code:
--- intel_hdmi.c        2015-11-23 01:45:59.000000000 +0100
+++ intel_hdmi_new.c    2015-11-30 22:54:09.875926639 +0100
@@ -464,7 +464,8 @@
        }

if (intel_hdmi->rgb_quant_range_selectable) {
-               if (intel_crtc->config->limited_color_range)
+               if (intel_crtc->config->limited_color_range ||
+                   intel_crtc->config->video_color_range)
                        frame.avi.quantization_range =
                                HDMI_QUANTIZATION_RANGE_LIMITED;
                else
@@ -1266,6 +1267,8 @@
                pipe_config->limited_color_range =
                        intel_hdmi->limited_color_range;
        }
+       if (intel_hdmi->color_range_video)
+               pipe_config->video_color_range = true;

if (adjusted_mode->flags & DRM_MODE_FLAG_DBLCLK) {
                pipe_config->pixel_multiplier = 2;
@@ -1485,25 +1488,35 @@
        if (property == dev_priv->broadcast_rgb_property) {
                bool old_auto = intel_hdmi->color_range_auto;
                bool old_range = intel_hdmi->limited_color_range;
+               bool old_range_video = intel_hdmi->color_range_video;

switch (val) {
                case INTEL_BROADCAST_RGB_AUTO:
                        intel_hdmi->color_range_auto = true;
+                       intel_hdmi->color_range_video = false;
                        break;
                case INTEL_BROADCAST_RGB_FULL:
                        intel_hdmi->color_range_auto = false;
                        intel_hdmi->limited_color_range = false;
                        break;
                case INTEL_BROADCAST_RGB_LIMITED:
                        intel_hdmi->color_range_auto = false;
                        intel_hdmi->limited_color_range = true;
+                       break;
+               case INTEL_BROADCAST_RGB_VIDEO:
+                        intel_hdmi->color_range_auto = false;
+                        intel_hdmi->limited_color_range = true;
+                        intel_hdmi->color_range_video = true;
                        break;
                default:
                        return -EINVAL;
                }

if (old_auto == intel_hdmi->color_range_auto &&
-                   old_range == intel_hdmi->limited_color_range)
+                   old_range == intel_hdmi->limited_color_range &&
+                   old_range_video == intel_hdmi->color_range_video)
                        return 0;

goto done;
This does not make sense at all and the driver would always scale - as it does not know at all - it should not scale ...
Code:
intel_hdmi->color_range_video

is not used anywhere for a decision to scale or not to scale ...

Edit: With your patch Limited and Video Range would produce exactly the same ...
Sorry for my very limited coding skills. I was trying to adopt your patch to situation. As you may see it was not so good, sorry Wink
Anyway maybe with my patch Limited and Video Range would produce exactly the same - to be honest i was satisfied with colours so i never changed to Full, always had Limited set. (but i can check it. ive 4.4-rc2 kernel compiled with my patch).
Naturally when i say "never" and "always" i mean time with 4.4-rc kernel so last 2 weeks.

But at least now you have info how your new patch works with my TV :-) For me this behaviour seems to be logical - patch sets limited range without conversion and sends it to TV using Kodi. On Kodi level when range is set to full ("limited" is disabled) Kodi doesn't touch anything and passes signal to TV. And on TV level it receives untouched limited range which is perfect for this TV (for sure it's only limited range). and everything works well. Am i ok with my conclusions?
UPDATE: Why you say that intel_hdmi->color_range_video is never used? It is used in default case (INTEL_BROADCAST_RGB_VIDEO):

+ case INTEL_BROADCAST_RGB_VIDEO:
+ intel_hdmi->color_range_auto = false;
+ intel_hdmi->limited_color_range = true;
+ intel_hdmi->color_range_video = true;
break;
default:

In all other cases intel_hdmi->color_range_video is set to false.
(2015-11-28, 17:05)fritsch Wrote: Here we go:

New builds - using ffmpeg 2.8.3 - please check if everything is still in sync - also check if the lag - you might have experienced while watching a video in the menus is now gone, please.

I am a little late...

I´ve got jerky playback with 25fps files. Btw actually i do not use passtrough ;-) and sync to display activated.
Log: http://xbmclogs.com/p2t25ocjn

Build: OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0-devel-20151127190458 is fine
Build: OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0-devel-20151128154847 is jerky

Hope that helps.
I got a lot of "buffering" and chrashes on seek when playing back from LAN on the newest build, never happened before, think this is either kodi-something or ffmpeg, will try to re-update later doublecheck settings and get a log if needed, i reverted back to an earlier build cos the girl wanted to watch her shows Wink (and yes I really should get a new box I know ...)
(2015-12-01, 09:26)Ney Wrote: I got a lot of "buffering" and chrashes on seek when playing back from LAN on the newest build, never happened before, think this is either kodi-something or ffmpeg, will try to re-update later doublecheck settings and get a log if needed, i reverted back to an earlier build cos the girl wanted to watch her shows Wink (and yes I really should get a new box I know ...)

same here and i also have the 25 FPS jerky problem on my braswell N3700 ....
hey there,

Frenquently when starting kodi i get a blackscreen, and sometimes starting or stopping playback lead to a blackscreen too but rarely.
I think this problem was produced about a month ago and it still heppening with every latest build i've tested.
debug log
LG OLED65C8 / Denon AVR-X3200W / KEF E305+ONKYO SKH-410 / Synology DS2415+ / Logitech Harmony Companion / ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1060K (Kodi DSPlayer x64) / LightSpace HTL, DisplayCal, HCFR, Calman / i1D3 OEM Rev.B, i1PRO2 OEM Rev.E
(2015-12-01, 00:38)BigL-New Wrote: UPDATE: Why you say that intel_hdmi->color_range_video is never used? It is used in default case (INTEL_BROADCAST_RGB_VIDEO):

+ case INTEL_BROADCAST_RGB_VIDEO:
+ intel_hdmi->color_range_auto = false;
+ intel_hdmi->limited_color_range = true;
+ intel_hdmi->color_range_video = true;
break;
default:

In all other cases intel_hdmi->color_range_video is set to false.

Yeah - but which part of the driver actually cares? Which part asks: if color_range_video == true -> don't scale?
  • 152(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18