• 213(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2016-02-17, 20:12)scf2k Wrote:
(2016-02-17, 16:41)noggin Wrote: Two may be a bit hopeful - it's 330Mbs 4:4:4, but one and three are 4:2:2 at sensible bitrates for ProRes 4:2:2.

As fritsch says, and as I suspect you realise, these will only be played back with CPU decode, and if the fffmpeg implementation is single-threaded it will require a pretty high spec CPU. From memory the ffmbc implementation of ProRes was a bit better than ffmpeg at one point, but I suspect the ffmbc stuff has been folded back into ffmpeg now. (Same is true for w3fdif and frame rate conversion code I hope. There's a not-terrible frame rate converter in ffmbc based on BBC work in the 80s. It's not Alchemist, but it is a lot better than frame drop/dupe)

I use ProRes 4:2:2 HQ 1080/50i a lot for my 'day job' and have no major issues with it in Quicktime player on a Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro (though no deinterlacing) and it plays back fine over a Thunderbolt HD-SDI/HDMI output device.

Not sure I've ever had much success with 'pro' codecs (ProRes, DNXHD, AVC Intra or DVC Pro HD) in Kodi though - I tend to transcode everything to 4:2:0 H264 if I want to play it in 'consumer' devices.

Thanks for your detailed reply. Is the main problem with apple codecs is that implementation is not optimised? Or codec itself is that advanced that requires powerful hardware? I guess I'll just encode with H264/H265 high bitrate and it will play flawlessly then.

Couple of issues with that content.

Pro codecs don't have hardware acceleration in normal GPU drivers like VAAPI, as these are optimised for standard consumer codecs.

The CPU decode may not be optimised particularly as there are far fewer developers and users working with Pro codecs, and most pro codec work is done on reasonably powerful systems.

Also Kodi is really designed for 4:2:0 content not 4:2:2 or 4:4:4...
(2016-02-17, 20:04)scf2k Wrote:
(2016-02-17, 18:57)VirtualRain Wrote: Hmmm... Thanks, but I'm guessing this is going to cause a failed refresh rate change/handshake on boot. Currently, after a restart I go into settings, select 23.98 for GUI which causes a failed refresh rate change. I then pull/replug the HDMI to get a signal and I'm good to go until a restart. I gather this is still going to require an HDMI cord pull. I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't require my lazy ass to get off the couch Smile

In my case switching source on AVR to something else and back helps restoring the signal.

Thanks. I'll try that. Can do that by remote control Big Grin
I had similar problem , already reported month ago

Tried forcing edid no resolve

Solved using 60hz for gui instead of 50hz

Asap i set up again 50hz problem occurs again

(Black screen after oe logo or black screen after stopped a movie so no gui...if i restart kodi via ssh using sysyemctl restart kodi gui works again
(2016-02-17, 22:24)Roby77 Wrote: (Black screen after oe logo or black screen after stopped a movie so no gui...if i restart kodi via ssh using sysyemctl restart kodi gui works again

As I mentioned above try switching source on AVR.
Yes i know it thank you (before using 60hz trick mine was changing tv source or switch on/off avr)

Using 60hz i solved(rarely at first 50hz film goes black...i press stop and play again and it starts correctly
(2016-02-17, 20:59)VirtualRain Wrote:
(2016-02-17, 20:04)scf2k Wrote:
(2016-02-17, 18:57)VirtualRain Wrote: Hmmm... Thanks, but I'm guessing this is going to cause a failed refresh rate change/handshake on boot. Currently, after a restart I go into settings, select 23.98 for GUI which causes a failed refresh rate change. I then pull/replug the HDMI to get a signal and I'm good to go until a restart. I gather this is still going to require an HDMI cord pull. I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't require my lazy ass to get off the couch Smile

In my case switching source on AVR to something else and back helps restoring the signal.

Thanks. I'll try that. Can do that by remote control Big Grin

You can also run display port out to hdmi adapter straight to the TV, then audio out through hdmi out to the avr, the avr then doesn't have to do any video switching.
Did anyone other than me try to force edid ?
(2016-02-17, 20:58)VirtualRain Wrote:
(2016-02-17, 18:58)fritsch Wrote: Fix the cause of the problem ... not its symptomes -> bugs.freedesktop.org

Filed a bug months ago.

(2016-02-17, 19:18)jjslegacy Wrote: Why do you have to change refresh rate each boot? It's a saved setting. What am I missing?

It's not saving this setting for me. Sad Resets to 60Hz on a reboot.

I would guess you have an issue with guisettings.xml - I would delete and let it get recreated and reapply your settings.

Mine stays at 23.98 just fine but occasionally gets reset on different builds but easy fix up
For those, that are in need of kernel 4.4.2 I update those at the usual location.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Nice, will install later today Smile
AppleTV 4K, LG 65E6 OLED TV, Marantz NR1606, Harmony Elite
@fritsch - i followed the changes you have here https://github.com/fritsch/OpenELEC.tv/commits/EGL and I'm kind of confused now about the full range/limited range color settings. Mainly because, at least in my case, they get reported by the TV via HDMI. I remember putting some printks around 4.1 to test exactly if intel does know if i set my tv to limited or full mode, and it identified that info correctly (however i'm not sure if it did anything usefull with that info). What does exactly change in this scenario?

I understand the EGL enhancement (nocopy from vaapi to gl and no color conversion in that process), but I don't exactly get if that xrandr command is necessary. Can you elaborate on that more? Or is it only usefull for people whose devices don't have a "set hdmi limited range" option in their tv?
No it's about two things: What the kernel driver does, what VAAPI does and the combination - please read the backlog, search for Limited - I explained that > 10 times I think.

On your old installation: TV uses Limited, intel's kernel driver sets it limited, but VAAPI upscaled to full range and your driver downscales again -> two times loss ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'm sorry, I read most of your post on this thread but none give a full picture. The part you write in your post above is understandable to me, but what I don't fully understand is the solution. Is conversionless output only possible when the display is in full range, because otherwise the driver downscales everything? Why not make a passthrough mode for both fullrange and limited then?

I'm sorry if my question is kind of disjointed and repeated.
What is the recommended install method now that 15.04 is retired?

I tried doing a "do-release-upgrade" on my 15.04 install, and after re-enabling the sources disabled during the upgrade and upgrading all the packages, Kodi fails to load on boot, so I gather something is different in 15.10 as opposed to 15.04.

Ideally, I'd wait to do a new fresh install until 16.04 LTS is launched, so I can keep my install for a while, but running on 15.04 which is now an unsupported OS makes me uncomfortable.
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
(2016-02-21, 03:59)mattlach Wrote: What is the recommended install method now that 15.04 is retired?

I tried doing a "do-release-upgrade" on my 15.04 install, and after re-enabling the sources disabled during the upgrade and upgrading all the packages, Kodi fails to load on boot, so I gather something is different in 15.10 as opposed to 15.04.

Ideally, I'd wait to do a new fresh install until 16.04 LTS is launched, so I can keep my install for a while, but running on 15.04 which is now an unsupported OS makes me uncomfortable.

The first post uses 15.10, upgrades are not supported. I will change to 16.04 soon.

movl Wrote:I'm sorry, I read most of your post on this thread but none give a full picture. The part you write in your post above is understandable to me, but what I don't fully understand is the solution. Is conversionless output only possible when the display is in full range, because otherwise the driver downscales everything? Why not make a passthrough mode for both fullrange and limited then?

I'm sorry if my question is kind of disjointed and repeated.

See my custom kernels and the OpenELEC images, those exactly have such a kernel patch, but as this needs installing a custom kernel ... I described a workaround that works "out of the box".
  • 213(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18