• 253(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
Sorry, this is the full log: link

I will try the OpenELEC.
(2016-05-11, 07:02)fritsch Wrote: Verify with OpenELEC as suggested above to minimize user error.

I tried with your OpenELEC, and the result is similar to Kodi nightly:
OpenELEC full range: link
OpenELEC limited range: link

Settings: VAAPI, no dithering.
And now turn off vaapi please. What happens?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-05-12, 08:14)fritsch Wrote: And now turn off vaapi please. What happens?

And enable VDPAU or only software decoder?
I tried with both settings:

Kodi nightly software decoder: link
Kodi nightly VDPAU: link

And yes, the details are fine, only VAAPI softens the picture.
(2016-05-12, 08:54)djnice Wrote: I tried with both settings:

Kodi nightly software decoder: link
Kodi nightly VDPAU: link

And yes, the details are fine, only VAAPI softens the picture.

Cool. Please apt get install mpv and play it with that player with -vo vaapi Parameter. Paste the terminal output please, same issue?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Not working...

djnice@ubuntu:~$ mpv -vo vaapi /media/usb/01560.m2ts
Playing: /media/usb/01560.m2ts
(+) Video --vid=1 (h264)
(+) Audio --aid=1 (dts)
[vo/vaapi/x11] couldn't open the X11 display ()!
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
Video: no video
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1029Sadsnd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
[ao/alsa] Playback open error: No such file or directory
[ao/oss] Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
[ao/jack] cannot open server
couldn't open play stream: No such file or directory
[ao/sndio] can't open sndio default
[ao] Failed to initialize audio driver 'sndio'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no audio

Exiting... (Errors when loading file)
Are you sure, that you start that from a running desktop with the user logged in? The procedure is as follows:

a) Find out, that other players that use VAAPI decoding are also affected xor are not affected.
b) If all players you tested are affected, file a bug with the VAAPI people on bugs.freedesktop.org where you provide the screenshot comparison. They then will ask you to test with gstreamer.

If you followed my howto in post 1 - the user is "kodi" and it has to be in the video / audio group. if you cannot connect to the X display then you have configuration issue on top.

Edit: And something else to care for irritated users: VDPAU obviously works cause it won't open on intel gpus and kodi falls back to SW - so VDPAU is the same as SW decoding on intel vaapi hardware.
I'm not a linux expert, but I followed the guide from first post, I tried with superuser, but the error is same. I'm sad because we could not solve the problem, and I will sell the hdmi capture device tomorrow.
I hope, somebody will improve the VAAPI picture quality, because so linux htpc not an option in quality...
As your user is NOT kodi you did not follow the howto from post 1 ...

Also: Post the sample (in that format it is now) you are using for testing somewhere, please. If it is too large, use dd to cut out a 50 MB part, e.g.

Code:
dd if=yourmovie.mkv of=50mbsample.mkv bs=1M count=50

You can retry to use mpv with:
Code:
mpv --hwdec=vaapi yoursample.mkv

There are plenty other things to test ... like disabling VAAPI Output in Video-> Acceleration

So please also try: Video -> Acceleration: Prefer VAAPI output disabled
The Video -> Acceleration: Prefer VAAPI output disabled is solved the problem!

link
Thank you very much! This let's us investigate the issue. So it's not a decoder issue, but a rendering issue.
Thank you!
This is the sample file: link
(2016-05-12, 10:59)fritsch Wrote: Thank you very much! This let's us investigate the issue. So it's not a decoder issue, but a rendering issue.

When is it expected to improve this issue?
Next year - currently moving, not working on kodi at all.
  • 253(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18