• 338(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
I am nearly sure it's a misconfiguration of how you start your XServer. Looks like a user session.

Change the kodi start file to start: xterm instead of kodi - then type those commands in there, please
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
HI!

here I am, I installed from zero ubuntu server (without switch from desktop and then turn it with tasksel into server) and I managed to make it go.

The difference in the guide in your first post is this :
Quote:sudo apt-get install ssh software-properties-common xorg xserver-xorg-legacy alsa-utils mesa-utils git-core librtmp1 libmad0 lm-sensors libmpeg2-4 avahi-daemon libnfs12 libva2 vainfo  intel-media-va-driver-non-free linux-firmware dbus-x11 udisks2 openbox pastebinit udisks2 xserver-xorg-video-intel
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo sh -c "echo 'LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=iHD' >> /etc/environment"

sudo chgrp video /dev/dri -R
sudo chmod 666 /dev/dri/*
sudo chmod 755 /dev/dri

sudo apt remove gdm3
sudo apt remove pulseaudio

and I left this direcotry empty -> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

I just have a little flicker now and then and the image seems to suffer from slowdowns but it's already a good start.

dpkg -l |grep mesa | pastebinit
DISPLAY=:0 vainfo | pastebinit
cat ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | pastebinit
dmesg | pastebinit
id | pastebinit
amixer | pastebinit
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit
Sorry for grammatical errors, use an online translator
Cool :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-02-08, 17:13)fritsch Wrote: Cool :-)

I admit defeat...
I don't understand why if I create a config like this /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-graphics.conf :
Quote:
Code:

Section "Device"
Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "TripleBuffer" "true"
   Option      "TearFree"     "true"
   Option      "DRI"          "false"
EndSection

once I run kodi he leaves with the "GL_VENDOR = VMware, Inc."

do you have any ideas you'd like to suggest?

Xorg.0.log
Kodi.log

If instead I change to modesetting (in the driver section) then it works but I suffer so much from tearing
Quote:
Code:
Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "modesetting"
   Option      "TripleBuffer" "true"
   Option      "TearFree"     "true"
   Option      "DRI"          "false"
EndSection

Xorg.0.log
Kodi.log
Sorry for grammatical errors, use an online translator
Okay. The reason is simple: xserver-xorg-video-intel does not support this new GPU and you are running on modesetting by default. If you force intel, it will fallback to SW rendering.

Good :-) Thanks for the hint. I will update the howto that intel xorg driver is deprecated on too modern intel chipsets.
@Milhouse did you patch the intel driver on LE to include the GPU IDs? Or do you use modesetting by default?
(2020-02-09, 13:31)fritsch Wrote: @Milhouse did you patch the intel driver on LE to include the GPU IDs? Or do you use modesetting by default?

We aren't patching any GPU IDs, or applying any other patches to the Intel driver.

Not sure about "modesetting by default" - @lrusak, this is more your part of the ship...

This is /etc/X11/xorg-i915.conf in latest LibreELEC (master):
text:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "intel"
VendorName "INTEL Corporation"
Option "TripleBuffer" "false"
Option "TearFree" "false"
EndSection
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
empty
Hi fritsch,

it's been a long time since I posted here as my whole setup is still working perfect. Smile

However, I now acquired a 4K TV and wanted to use this as a chance to reset my HTPC and freshly reinstall kodi following your instructions. There are some open points, I wanted to check with you.

My CPU is an Intel Haswell Core i5-4570T with an in-built Intel 4600 GPU. According to Intel, it can do 4k @ 24 Hz but I wanted to ask you how you evaluate the hardware.
Also, is this a generation, where I should directly use Ubuntu 20.04?

I will probably not watch Live TV, just stream some videos from hard drive (is x265 an option with this hardware?) and access some Kodi apps (Mediatheken etc.)

Thanks!
It's haswell generation, therefore no native hevc acceleration. From cpu pov it's faster than kodi needs it for menus, etc.

But the missing hevc capability makes it a show stopper, especially for 4k with 10 bit content.

So if you think buying it new, don't. Even low prices gemini lake apus can do more video wise.

If h264 is your only usecases, it is perfectly fine, including 4k 60, but h264 only.
Thank you so much! Smile
That's the HW, I own right now, so nothing I would buy.
Are there any cheap options out there that can do native HEVC and 10bit? Also, can Kodi downsample Dolby Atmos for example if a device doesn't support it?
I know that it works for DTS but I'm not sure if Dolby Atmos is the same.
DTS-HD, TrueHD including Atmos is no problem for Haswell.
A cheap GPU is more expensive than buying an Asrock J5005.
(2020-02-24, 08:47)fritsch Wrote: A cheap GPU is more expensive than buying an Asrock J5005.

Thank you! So the easiest option would be to just buy the Asrock J5005 and a case? That would be future-proof? 
I'm anyway thinking about replacing the Old HW (it's loud and consumes a lot of energy).
Nothing is future proof!
That's true. Let me ask you this way: getting it, installing 8 Gigs of RAM - will I be fine for 4K x265 and Dolby Atmos decoding / downsampling? That would be "future-proof" for me now. Smile
Also, some online reviews said that the EFI basically prevents installing any other OS on that device. Have you heard of this before or is there anything specific, I should keep in mind before buying it? Forget that, I should learn to read.
Thanks again!
  • 338(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18