• 341(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
The thread title says it all. This thread is for Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04. There's no need to mention that 21.04 installations aren't supported by this thread.

If things didnt work for you, then you might have missed something from the how-to. As I tried it myself for the first time, I missed some steps as well.

It might also be, that Ubuntu changed something in their minor releases (20.04.1 oder 20.04.2) or a Kernel change or whatever.

I highly guess your problems with 20.04 can be solved. But ofc it's up to you to try it again. If you are happy with LibreELEC, then this is totally fine. LibreELEC is especially made for ppl who don't want to fiddle around with Linux much.

The last Kodibuntu release was based on Lubuntu 14.04 if I'm not mistaken. So that's pretty old nowadays Wink. The last Kodi release for that was Kodi 14.
(2021-10-28, 11:52)hlloyge Wrote: I've installed Ubuntu Server 21.04

(2021-11-28, 10:28)hlloyge Wrote: Anyway, I hope we will get updated how-to when next LTE of Ubuntu Server comes out

Actually sounds like you're best-placed to begin a howto for 21.04. I think it'd be well-received, as I found the information in this thread pretty useful for installing my 16.04 boxen way back when.
(2021-12-28, 20:42)Preacher Wrote: Actually sounds like you're best-placed to begin a howto for 21.04.

You sure? Ubuntu 22.04 LTS daylies are already available, and its final ETA is in less than 4 months.
Yeah, I also guess a LTS support thread might be way better Wink

I guess we all can fiddle something together when 22.04 is released. This is not rocket-science and I also guess we are do adobt a lot of the work fritsch did
(2021-12-28, 20:48)Klojum Wrote: You sure? Ubuntu 22.04 LTS daylies are already available, and its final ETA is in less than 4 months.
Yup, I'm sure he's best-placed to begin a howto for 21.04 ... but now you've mentioned that, I'm not so sure that it's needed now!
(2021-12-28, 21:31)DaVu Wrote: Yeah, I also guess a LTS support thread might be way better Wink
I guess we all can fiddle something together when 22.04 is released. This is not rocket-science and I also guess we are do adobt a lot of the work fritsch did

I recall back in the XBMCbuntu days that Ubuntu was considered *the* distro of choice as it was the best-supported (by the Kodi Krew) and most widely used that most issues people had already encountered. At the time, I'd built a Ubuntu server to replace my ageing Fedora box, but struggled to turn it into a media player (all my servers run headless so I know little about how X works).

Instead, I scrubbed it all and followed the XBMCbuntu guide to build XBMC on a Zotac headless box - this which went without a hitch, other than some fiddling to get audio passthrough working with HDMI. I added services later, so changed the approach to getting a media centre first THEN making it a server.

I also followed Fritsch's guide when building the 16.04 replacement. There's no doubt many have benefited from his guide, as it forms a typical FAQ for common issues (getting desktop working, fixing sound permissions, etc) and heads them off at the pass - which in turn reduces the support overhead when yet another question about remote controls and/or systemd arises.

So.. yup - a 22.04 guide would be hugely beneficial, and very welcome (time permitting). I know good guides take some time to write and also become a bit of a support overhead when it needs tweaking/updating, but the returns are tenfold - and will form a good focal point for shared knowledge.
(2021-12-28, 20:42)Preacher Wrote: Actually sounds like you're best-placed to begin a howto for 21.04. I think it'd be well-received, as I found the information in this thread pretty useful for installing my 16.04 boxen way back when.
He he, if I had one more box like this one, maybe I would give my all to do it, but you know, wife wants her Netflix, so I can't really do it on current one.
Maybe I'll try installing it at work, I have somewhat newer PC there - could make crude how-to, but I will need help with that. But not until final version of server comes out.
Steps I followed on Ubuntu server 20.04 LTS based on the guide:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common xorg xserver-xorg-legacy alsa-utils mesa-utils git-core librtmp1 libmad0 lm-sensors libmpeg2-4 avahi-daemon libva2 vainfo i965-va-driver linux-firmware dbus-x11 udisks2 openbox pastebinit udisks2 xserver-xorg-video-intel
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg-legacy

Now edit /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config and add the following into a new line at the end of the file:
needs_root_rights=yes

sudo mkdir -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
sudo ln -s /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-intel/xorg.conf 10-intel.conf

sudo adduser kodi (ony when not created during setup)
sudo usermod -a -G cdrom,audio,video,plugdev,users,dialout,dip,input,render kodi

create the file /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla and add:
Quote:[Actions for kodi user]
Identity=unix-user:kodi
Action=org.freedesktop.login1.*;org.freedesktop.udisks2.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

[Untrusted Upgrade]
Identity=unix-user:kodi
Action=org.debian.apt.upgrade-packages;org.debian.apt.update-cache
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

Create the following file and put the listing into it: /etc/systemd/system/kodi.service
Quote:[Unit]
Description = kodi-standalone using xinit
Requires = dbus.service
After = systemd-user-sessions.service sound.target network-online.target

[Service]
User = kodi
Group = kodi
Type = simple
PAMName=login
ExecStart = /usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/openbox-session -- :0 -nolisten tcp vt7
Restart = on-abort
LimitNICE=-1:-1

[Install]
WantedBy = multi-user.target

sudo rm display-manager.service (already exists so replace)
sudo ln -s /etc/systemd/system/kodi.service /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install kodi

sudo mkdir -p /home/kodi/.config/openbox
sudo touch /home/kodi/.config/openbox/autostart
sudo chown kodi:kodi /home/kodi/.config -R

now we write the following into the created /home/kodi/.config/openbox/autostart file
Quote:OUTPUT=`xrandr -display :0 -q | sed '/ connected/!d;s/ .*//;q'`
xrandr -display :0 --output $OUTPUT --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
xsetroot #000000
xset s off -dpms
 /usr/bin/kodi --standalone
while [ $? -ne 0 ]; do
 /usr/bin/kodi --standalone
done
openbox --exit

BONUS:Splash screen

sudo vi /etc/default/grub end edit the following lines to include quiet and splash
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash"
sudo update-grub

from: https://github.com/solbero/plymouth-them...mated-logo

sudo apt install fakeroot plymouth-label fonts-ubuntu
git clone https://github.com/solbero/plymouth-them...d-logo.git
cd plymouth-theme-kodi-animated-logo
sudo ./build.sh
sudo dpkg -i plymouth-theme-kodi-animated-logo.deb
(2022-01-09, 01:58)maspiter Wrote: Steps I followed on Ubuntu server 20.04 LTS based on the guide:

Just to be complete, exactly which Intel hardware do you have this running on?
the /etc/security/limits.conf change is useless(won't work) when kodi is started via systemd service.
Yes, change the kodi service to include in the Service section:

That should do it. Kodi uses this to give the Audio thread more priority (among others, which get less priority). Negative value "more oomph".
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
It is running on a Mitac pd10ai motherboard with Intel N3350 which has HD 500 Graphics integrated.
(2022-01-09, 17:04)fritsch Wrote: Yes, change the kodi service to include in the Service section:

That should do it. Kodi uses this to give the Audio thread more priority (among others, which get less priority). Negative value "more oomph".
Thanks! My linux knowledge is limited so I admit blindly following the guide  Blush .
@fritsch

Good to see you alive Wink
(2022-01-09, 22:13)DaVu Wrote: @fritsch

Good to see you alive Wink
Ditto! Good to see you back again!
Hi there

Any tip before proceed to upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04?

Thanks in advance!!
  • 341(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18