Cannot connect to OpenELEC SSH
Hello,

I am trying to connect to OpenELEC using PuTTY (I am using this wikipage), but after I enter my IP and hit Open, I get a message that reads:

PuTTY Fatal Error
Network error: Connection refused.

I am using the default 22 port in PuTTY. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks
Have you enabled ssh in openelec settings?
Ha! No, I haven't!
I read the whole OpenELEC SSH wikipage and I didn't see such option!
How do I enable SSH in OpenELEC?
Thanks troggy!
(2015-07-16, 00:31)pixaeiro Wrote: Ha! No, I haven't!
I read the whole OpenELEC SSH wikipage and I didn't see such option!
How do I enable SSH in OpenELEC?
Thanks troggy!

When I have set up OpenELEC, sometimes password authentication is turned off
and public/private key authentication is used instead.

Have you unchecked this option in the OpenELEC configuration add-on under Services?

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/OpenEL...b=Services

Uncheck/turn off the option:

Disable SSH Password

Give that a try.
For a Raspberry Pi (if you use it, as we still don't know which hardware you are using) SSH is not enabled by default!

You can turn SSH on inside OpenELEC settings like mentioned in the link above. There should be a setting for this.

Disabling the SSH password isn't neccessary. The normal username and password (user: root - pass: openelec) should work pretty fine.
I too have problems with Putty, I have OpenElec on Raspberry Pi 2 trying to connect through my router to from a Windows 10 PC. The IP is 192.168.1.104 at the moment for the RPi. I have the option for allowing Remote Control on but i have the same above error. I couldn't find the options page which is shown on the link.
As I said in my own posting above....

SSH for a RPI is NOT enabled by default and you can't enable it in an easy way if you missed enabling it at the very first boot.

A way to get it enabled is:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/OpenEL...tab=System

and scroll down to: "Reset to Defaults" and reboot after. Then you will get a factory reset and you are able to enable ssh at next boot.

The setting page is found under the submenu from "system" and is called "OpenELEC settings". Be aware using confluence as a skin.
I don't promise this will work, and without building a new sd card without ssh enabled I can't test it, but it takes <5 minutes to try...

Shut down your pi
Take out the sd card, stick it in a card reader and put it in your pc.
In the root of the card you'll see a file called cmdline.txt.
Back this file up.
Now open cmdline.txt in a text editor (I use notepad++ but notepad should be fine).
You'll see something like
Quote:boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 quiet
Whatever it says, add ssh to it,eg in my case...
Quote:boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet
Stick card in pi, see if ssh is enabled, confirm here if it is,mutter here if not.

Edit:
Another thing to try...
Access the pi via its IP address in windows explorer, go to userdata > addon_data > openelec settings.
Open the settings.xml and change all the 'True's to 'False' - so as to run the wizards again when you re-boot.
Again, it might work - no guarantees.
Sir -

I too am confused. I used the link and I was completely confused....

I am trying to use putty... I have the right IP address I ahve OpenELEC and this is the first time I am using it....but Network error: Connection refused

It am new and not computer literate...yes so I have no idea...so please please spell it out

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot connect to OpenELEC SSH0