Advice Needed
Exclamation 
Hi guys!
I have been using OpenElec XBMC 12.2 for some time now and have had no real complaints other than the lack of plugins I can get to work properly.
This setup is mainly to support local content I store on the HTPC.

I have however recently setup a secondary TV in the bedroom which only has ChromeCast for content.

First question is this: Should I upgrade to KODI? What are the main benefits of upgrading?
Second question is this: Is there a good way to make my HTPC content available on my secondary TV using ChromeCast?

Thank you very much!!
1. You need to upgrade to Kodi 14.x, more stability lots of new skins and more apps
2. I don't think there is a way to play on Chromecast from xbmc/kodi. I would recommend you to consider buying Amazon Fire Stick
All of a sudden I can't connect to my XBMC box via my PC. I need to do this to do the manual update of the OS.
The IP is \\68.146.XXX.XXX, but that doesn't work (normally does). But when I flip the slashes to //68.146.XXX.XXX the browser correctly takes me to my content (in chrome).
Why won't my PC get into the network storage?
You are totally insane!

Here - look: Your PC is open to the whole world! Even ssh access is working :-(

Get that machine down, down, down - as fast as you can - something wrong with you?

I took the chance to shutdown your computer, so that no bad guy does _anything_ else with your computer - soooo insane

Code:
fritsch@t440s:~$ ssh [email protected]
The authenticity of host '68.146.YYY.XX (68.146.YYY.XX)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 30:72:0b:c3:24:d1:a2:e8:f2:67:7f:68:5e:9f:e6:a1.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '68.146.YYY.XX' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
[email protected]'s password:
##############################################
# OpenELEC - The living room PC for everyone #
# ...... visit http://www.openelec.tv ...... #
##############################################

OpenELEC (official) Version: 3.2.4
OpenELEC:~ # poweroff
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
And you posted the IP in a public forum .... I really don't want to know how many people accessed this box via ssh since then ... god damn ... what did you thinkHuh

Was that a honeypot test? I still can't believe what you did ...

First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Translation, you should turn off port-forwarding on your router so that your HTPC isn't exposed to the world. Or at least change the default password. Preferably both. There are bots out that that just scan for open connections and use default passwords that are publicly documented, so it's really easy to get a virus/malware/whatever by having something exposed with a default password.
Or the poor person has set his OpenELEC box with an Internet facing IP address (not on the private use range) and has not enabled the NAT firewall on their router.

This is more than a port forwarding issue, this is an incorrect IP addressing issue!

Network security 101, do not use internet facing IP addresses on your LAN!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...58825.aspx

https://www.arin.net/knowledge/address_filters.html
Let's hope he will read this ASAP
Arg. I had no idea people could access that from outside!
How do I correct this ASAP?

Thank you fritsch for taking the box down!
Port forwarding was already turned off and router firewall was enabled.
Also - not that I can complain, but fritsch the IP is still visible in your screenshot. :\
Is removed! I hope you learned something for the future!
Can someone walk me through what I should do at this point? Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice Needed0