• 1(current)
Release HGTV Canada Video Addon - Canada Only
V1.0.1 in my git:
https://github.com/learningit/plugin.video.hgtv.canada
Has subtitles and ability to set views - see the addon settings.

If you have installed my test repo:
https://github.com/learningit/repository...odi_addons

You should get an "auto-update" or "update available" message, depending on your "auto-update" setting. You may need to do a "Check for updates" to see the new version.

Please let me know if this works so that I can get the kodi.org repo updated.
Whoah! Gonna try this tonight and let you know how it works out. Thanks!
Thank you again learningit. Installed from the zip file and tested a few selections at random. Those that list shows play OK but there were a few that I found that did not list any shows in the submenu:
Dream Home Tour
Holmes 10th Anniversary Special
Home Free
(2015-07-21, 22:44)learningit Wrote: Please let me know if this works so that I can get the kodi.org repo updated.

HGTV Canada appears to be working very well. Meets and succeeds the WAF and has more content than the US version of HGTV. Great work and thanks for this!
HGTV Canada works great. Thank you so much!
(2015-07-22, 02:34)pdops Wrote: Thank you again learningit. Installed from the zip file and tested a few selections at random. Those that list shows play OK but there were a few that I found that did not list any shows in the submenu:
Dream Home Tour
Holmes 10th Anniversary Special
Home Free

Those shows do not have full episodes. It would waste too much time trying to figure that out in the pass when I gather the shows. Looking at what does not have full episodes, they seem to be new shows which will later have episodes.
@learningit

Everything works great! This is awesome. I didn't realize there are so many full episodes. Thanks for doing this. Somebody asked for you to consider wnetwork.com; there are indeed full episodes there. I thought there weren't but I was wrong. Just checked foodnetwork.ca and there are full episodes there too.

Something I don't think you can do about is the square images for the shows themselves (not the episodes, the square images for those show up fine). The reason the default hgtv.ca image shows up instead is probably because the images for the shows don't exist in the first place. Ftv skin works best with square images for shows, as you already know. Maybe one way to remedy that as a compromise is to use the image from the first episode of the show, scraping off of tvdb might be too much of a hassle.
Thank you learningbit for making this Addon. I tested few episodes and all runs well however, the subtitle (CC) is not working. Hopefully this is an easy fix because I cannot watch anything without subtitles.
(2015-07-22, 15:02)gambitz Wrote: Thank you learningbit for making this Addon. I tested few episodes and all runs well however, the subtitle (CC) is not working. Hopefully this is an easy fix because I cannot watch anything without subtitles.
3 Things:

1) Make sure you have version 1.0.2. 1.0.1 should work for sub-titles, but it was creating them twice (which was kinda stupid on my part).
2) Make sure you turn on sub-titles in the addon settings.
3) Not all shows/episodes have sub-titles, in particular, I noticed many of the Canadian shows don't have them or they don't work in the same way as most other shows.
(2015-07-22, 04:14)springroll Wrote: Something I don't think you can do about is the square images for the shows themselves (not the episodes, the square images for those show up fine). The reason the default hgtv.ca image shows up instead is probably because the images for the shows don't exist in the first place. Ftv skin works best with square images for shows, as you already know. Maybe one way to remedy that as a compromise is to use the image from the first episode of the show, scraping off of tvdb might be too much of a hassle.

Enable views in addon settings and set Default View = 57 and Episode View =56 for the fTV skin. Other skins will have other values (usually 500 and above)
The icon shows up because it would take too much time to scrape individual pages for a "show" image.
(2015-07-22, 15:08)learningit Wrote: 3 Things:

1) Make sure you have version 1.0.2. 1.0.1 should work for sub-titles, but it was creating them twice (which was kinda stupid on my part).
3) Not all shows/episodes have sub-titles, in particular, I noticed many of the Canadian shows don't have them or they don't work in the same way as most other shows.

1. 1.0.2 - Check
2. Sub-titles - Enabled
3. HGTV.ca has all shows captioned. In particular, broadcasters owned by SHAW CONNECT will have ALL SHOWS CAPTIONED. And yes, their caption/subtitle works differently because they are more specific for the hearing impaired audience (with black bars and the words move around to match who is speaking). Like I said above, hopefully it is easy to fix. Thank you for your work.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D0...hoto%2cJPG
The above screenshot shows which companies are owned by Shaw Connect. They all has captions and should have full episodes.
(Edited to add image)
(Edit: I can't figure how to embed image from onedrive, LOL)...
(2015-07-22, 15:51)gambitz Wrote: 1. 1.0.2 - Check
2. Sub-titles - Enabled
3. HGTV.ca has all shows captioned. In particular, broadcasters owned by SHAW CONNECT will have ALL SHOWS CAPTIONED. And yes, their caption/subtitle works differently because they are more specific for the hearing impaired audience (with black bars and the words move around to match who is speaking). Like I said above, hopefully it is easy to fix. Thank you for your work.

The above screenshot shows which companies are owned by Shaw Connect. They all has captions and should have full episodes.
(Edited to add image)
I'm not clear, do you get no subtitles at all? For example, a random choice of Season 1, Episode 14 of "Home Factory" has subtitles for me, does it for you?
Can you give me a specific show, season and episode that you don't get subtitles and you believe that it does have subtitles?
One page view of what full episodes are hosted by Shaw's television networks (Food Network Canada, Lifetime, Global, HGTV Canada..etc) and the direct links

As for W Network, it belongs to Corus; unfortunately, it doesn't have a page like Shaw does. This page lists the television networks it owns and their respectively websites. A few I checked have full episodes: W Network, ABC Spark

(2015-07-22, 15:51)gambitz Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 15:08)learningit Wrote: 3 Things:

1. 1.0.2 - Check
2. Sub-titles - Enabled

(Edited to add image)
(2015-07-22, 16:17)springroll Wrote: One page view of what full episodes are hosted by Shaw's television networks (Food Network Canada, Lifetime, Global, HGTV Canada..etc) and the direct links

As for W Network, it belongs to Corus; unfortunately, it doesn't have a page like Shaw does. This page lists the television networks it owns and their respectively websites. A few I checked have full episodes: W Network, ABC Spark

What does this have to do with getting subtitles working for gambitz?
(2015-07-22, 16:15)learningit Wrote: I'm not clear, do you get no subtitles at all? For example, a random choice of Season 1, Episode 14 of "Home Factory" has subtitles for me, does it for you?
Can you give me a specific show, season and episode that you don't get subtitles and you believe that it does have subtitles?

Interesting... I verified my shows (Canada's HandyMan Challenge, Holmes, etc) on browser, they have captions. But NOT on Kodi...

I checked Home Factory and Beach Flip on Kodi. They have subtitles working. I don't understand what is the difference?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HGTV Canada Video Addon - Canada Only0