Why not DX12?
I would understand a migration on direct-x 12 (for FPS, power consumption, etc...) but I don't understand the interest of moving to direct-x 11...
What will be better with direct-x 11 on Kodi ?
(2015-07-22, 14:50)schmurtz Wrote: I would understand a migration on direct-x 12 (for FPS, power consumption, etc...) but I don't understand the interest of moving to direct-x 11...

I don't understand moving to DX12, because kodi will not benefit from DX12....
(2015-07-22, 14:55)Pietar Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 14:50)schmurtz Wrote: I would understand a migration on direct-x 12 (for FPS, power consumption, etc...) but I don't understand the interest of moving to direct-x 11...

Why not ? If you read a movie on a laptop in a train for example, you don't like to have more battery ? A cooler laptop ? A better framerate ? Isn't it benefit ?
And so can you explain the gain of direct-x 11, Pietar ?
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2056769 <- because moving to the greatest lastest is never a good choice for popular projects like us with a user base which is in the millions. We carefully choose SDK versions to maximize the number of supported devices and operating systems. (be it directx, osx, ios, android sdk versions and the like).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-07-22, 15:14)schmurtz Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 14:55)Pietar Wrote:

Why not ? If you read a movie on a laptop in a train for example, you don't like to have more battery ? A cooler laptop ? A better framerate ? Isn't it benefit ?

Then you have no clue what you are talking about as you also don't seem to comprehend what Kodi actually uses from DirectX features.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-07-22, 15:29)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 15:14)schmurtz Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 14:55)Pietar Wrote: I don't understand moving to DX12, because kodi will not benefit from DX12....

Then you have no clue what you are talking about as you also don't seem to comprehend what Kodi actually uses from DirectX features.

... Undecided That's my question ! If you understand clearly "what Kodi actually uses from DirectX features", can you explain the gain of direct-x 11 ?
(2015-07-22, 15:27)Memphiz Wrote: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2056769

Thank for the reply , it says :
(2015-07-19, 21:32)afedchin Wrote: DX12 available only on Win10. We have no plans to drop support Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 I don't think what dx12 will bring us to new level of performance. Don't trust marketing, they were saying same about dx11.
You can keep support of Windows 7,8,8.1 with DX9 and move to DX12 for the next generation...
And technically dx12 gives a real new level of performance, this is a technical view point and not a marketing one, I really afraid that Kodi's developers don't know that....
(2015-07-22, 15:31)schmurtz Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 15:29)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 15:14)schmurtz Wrote: Why not ? If you read a movie on a laptop in a train for example, you don't like to have more battery ? A cooler laptop ? A better framerate ? Isn't it benefit ?

... Undecided That's my question ! If you understand clearly "what Kodi actually uses from DirectX features", can you explain the gain of direct-x 11 ?

search the thread. already discussed and answered.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-07-22, 15:39)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 15:31)schmurtz Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 15:29)Martijn Wrote: Then you have no clue what you are talking about as you also don't seem to comprehend what Kodi actually uses from DirectX features.

search the thread. already discussed and answered.

30 pages to read for an answer that you have... thanks man Wink Sorry to ask questions on a forum.
It should be explained on the main page, you talk about it but you don't explain what will be useful for everyday users...
Windows 10 isn't even released yet and you're asking for DirectX12 support already (which is a Win10-exclusive feature)? Funny.
(2015-07-22, 15:38)schmurtz Wrote: I really afraid that Kodi's developers don't know that....

Nahhh don't be afraid. We are doing the right thing as usual - no worries.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-07-22, 16:23)Shine Wrote: Windows 10 isn't even released yet and you're asking for DirectX12 support already (which is a Win10-exclusive feature)? Funny.
I don't ask for dx12 ! My question is so hard ? I don't say "you should go to DX12", it's just a question: I'm just asking what is better with DX11 for everyday use...
And I say that I understand better a migration to DX12 that gives real performance innovations but may be I'm wrong, just trying to understand why... Obviously not easy to explain for the community...

edit: Thanks for the dedicated topic afedchin, good initiative !

So to resume, 2 questions :
- what is better or new for everyday use with Dx11 compared to dx9 ?
- DX12 gives a lot of optimizations, so why not ?
(2015-07-22, 16:49)schmurtz Wrote: I'm just asking what is better with DX11 for everyday use...
The main feature of DX11 for Kodi is Hardwarebased Stereoscopic 3D. This was explained in OP of dx11 thread.

(2015-07-22, 16:49)schmurtz Wrote: And I say that I understand better a migration to DX12 that gives real performance innovations but may be I'm wrong, just trying to understand why... Obviously not easy to explain for the community...

edit: Thanks for the dedicated topic afedchin, good initiative !
Can you provide a real benefits of performance innovations DX12 in Kodi? Real figures not marketing spreadsheet.
(2015-07-22, 17:05)afedchin Wrote: The main feature of DX11 for Kodi is Hardwarebased Stereoscopic 3D. This was explained in OP of dx11 thread.
OK, so if I don't have Stereoscopic 3D system, it will not be useful at all for me. It's clear thank you.

(2015-07-22, 17:05)afedchin Wrote: Can you provide a real benefits of performance innovations DX12 in Kodi? Real figures not marketing spreadsheet.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/the-d...ar-swarm/5
But the best test is probably your own Wink
(2015-07-22, 16:49)schmurtz Wrote: So to resume, 2 questions :
- what is better or new for everyday use with Dx11 compared to dx9 ?
  • The latest DX9 runtime is more than 5 years old. No bugs have been fixed or features added since then. Hint: This doesn't mean it's bug-free.
  • DX11 (or 10, or 12) doesn't require you to install a dedicated and outdated runtime.
  • Gfx card vendors will soon or have already stopped supporting DX9 - so at some point, your brand new high-end gfx card will use software-emulated DX9. Better move on sooner than later.
  • DX11 is using the DXGI API, just like DX10 or DX12. Upgrading from DX11 to DX<newer> will be much easier than from DX9 to DX<newer>.
Need more?

Quote:- DX12 gives a lot of optimizations, so why not ?
  • Because it's not even released yet
  • Because it's Win10-only and Win10 isn't released either
  • Because most of the Kodi Windows user base is using Win7/8/8.1 and DX11 is the latest that's available for these OS
We'll have to wait, or perhaps you've already checked the Win10 preview SDK - it might be possible to build applications that support DX11 and DX12 simultaneously, so upgrading to DX12 without breaking WinVista/7/8/8.1 compatibility might be possible in the future.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why not DX12?0
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.