Moving binary addons to repositories
I'd like to start a discussion about what's required to pull this off. What I'd like is to have all binary addons behave exactly as any other addon, i.e. they are not bundled and they are installed manually by the user through the addon manager. Currently we have two different scenarios: bundled addons (all platforms except Linux) and addons available via apt-get. This creates two issues. One is that some guy inevitably tries to uninstall a PVR addon because his pirate playlist doesn't work, then he/she can't figure out how to get it back. Only reinstalling Kodi will bring it back. Then there are Linux users who don't necessarily realize that the addons aren't bundled and have to be installed as system packages instead. This creates even further confusion since all other addons are installed from Kodi. Coupled with the fact that e.g. the package for pvr.hts was renamed recently makes things even more confusing.

What is missing from our current addon infrastructure to support a setup like this? One thing is that all addon dependencies will probably have to be statically linked because we can no longer rely on apt-get to install dependencies on Ubuntu. What else?
Another benefit of having addons in repositories is that we can get rid of some special case handling for enabling PVR addons that has been causing issues. If the addons would not be installed by default they wouldn't have to be disabled by default either.
ubuntu/linux will continue to use packages. You can't possibly build all addons for every single distro and architecture combination.
What we need(since 2 years) is a reliable method to interact with the linux package management. We have tried to do it from python(Spiff actually), which is pretty simple, but if interferes with our embedded python interpreter.
So we either find a way around that, which according to Jcarol is not really possible in a clean way, or we build apt or better packagekit into core. Even then we'd still need an auth agent interface to get user permission.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving binary addons to repositories0