Nightmare indexing movies with sequals....
I have just discovered Kodi and love it, especially how it indexed my movies with little/no input from me...

But someone asked how you find out if any movies were missing, and I found an add-on which showed me, and I found over 100 movies missing...

Many of these are my "collections", and I fear its down to my directory structure..

Typically, my movies live in:

/movies/library/<movie name dir>/<movie name>

But when I get a "collection" of movies (Where there is a series of sequals), I add "(Collection)" into the directory name.

Let me give you "Terminator" as an example..

My directory is:

/movie/library/Terminator (Collection) 1984-2009 BluRay 720p x264 aac

and the file names:

Terminator 1 1984-Converted with Hybrid.mp4
Terminator 2 1991 Judgment Day-Converted with Hybrid.mp4
Terminator 3 2003 Rise of Machines-Converted with Hybrid.mp4
Terminator 4 2009 Salvation-Converted with Hybrid.mp4

And all of these were indexed fine with no trouble.. And this is particulary impressive as Terminator films are either known as "Terminator 2" or "Judgment Day"... So with this in mind, you would think that my nameing stratgy works.

But the majority of my un-indexed movies are "collections" (atleast 10 sets) and I can't work out why some won't import.. Take for example "Back to the future".. now this is (or should be) an easy one:

My directory is:

/movies/library/Back to the Future (Collection) 1985-1990 BluRay 720p x264 aac multisub

And the names:

Back To The Future 1 - Converted to AC3.mp4
Back To The Future 2 - Converted to AC3.mp4
Back To The Future 3 - Converted to AC3.mp4

Initially, I could not get these to appear in my library.. Which is odd as this isn't a complex one.. But after a lot of fiddling (with the names) I managed to get them to import... BUT, this has led to a bigger problems.

In my library, I now have FOUR entries for "Back to the Future".. Each one points to a different movie, but the name/media info is the 1st film.

And now when I go into VIDEO -> FILE SYSTEM, and drill down into my "libary", the "Back To the Future" folder has changed to a movie and when I select it, it plays the first film.. I can't get into the directory as it thinks its a movie, not a folder...

So I can't even navigate into my file system to play one of the other movies.

If it was just Back to the Future, I would work it out.. But I have problems with most of my "collections".. I wonder if I should put each movie in its own folder? Perhaps that the solution?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I handle this?

Jon
I'm on mobile so forgive me. It is best to have movies in their own individual folders that match the name of the listing on the Imdb.

For example
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0096874/

Back to the Future Part II (1989)\
Back to the Future Part II (1989).bluray.720p.mp4

All you need is the name and not the. Blu-ray.720p though. Some skins like aeon MQ will take the extra info and have a Blu-ray cover or DVD cover based on the file name.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2015-08-05, 12:47)bry- Wrote: I'm on mobile so forgive me. It is best to have movies in their own individual folders that match the name of the listing on the Imdb.

For example
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0096874/

Back to the Future Part II (1989)\
Back to the Future Part II (1989).bluray.720p.mp4

All you need is the name and not the. Blu-ray.720p though. Some skins like aeon MQ will take the extra info and have a Blu-ray cover or DVD cover based on the file name.

Thats a very good point.. "Back to the Future 2" is actually called "Back to the Future Part II", perhaps this is simply down to matching the names with IMDB, but odd that 75% of my failed files are "collections".

I also had a problem with "Jurassic Park 2" (Which is known as Lost World) and could not find a way to index it.

I think I am going to move all my "collections" into their own folders and re-test.
You can manually match up movies as well: http://kodi.wiki/view/Incorrect_and_miss...ual_videos
Just use movie title as it appears in imdb or themoviedb, and add the year. That should scrape most of it correectly
Or in some cases you can select the problem file, open the context menu and then go into the movie info and select it there (I forget the exact name of the menu entry, as I'm at work and my Kodi box is at home but you should be able to see which one it is).

Depending on how far away the scraper is from where it should be, you may just have to select a different option (for example if you have multiple movies with the same or similar titles and different years of release, you can just select the correct one from the list) or you can enter the information to be used in the database search by the scraper to make it target the correct movie.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks all.. I popped home at lunch time and managed to sort out around 20 of the mis-indexed files.. Some we confusing the search as the name wasn't quite right (i.e I called "Raiders of the Lost Ark" "Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark" and that confused it.

So I am gradually working my way though.. And I have now realised that you can select "movie info" from the file list and this is allowing me to see why the search is failing and either do it manually, or change the file name.

I am down to 80 or so files and I think I will work it out from here.... Cheers all

Jon
I am making progress and this is no longer and issue now that i understand how this works.. But i have found something odd..

I have 2 sticks.. Pointing to the same NAS.. And am indexing the same folders and am using the same settings.. But one has 76 missing files.. The other only 50..... How can this be? How could 2 different scrapes give different results lile this? How can 26 more files have scraped on one stick over the other...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nightmare indexing movies with sequals....0