Tronsmart Ara X5 TV box - Cherry Trail
@oWarchild

Yep, 150$ seem pricey at first but Geekbuying stating it comes with licensed Windows 10 and also it's the first device that's available (not counting tablets).
Jean-Luc posted in the past that the difference between licensed Windows 8.1 device to non licensed is around 30$.
(2015-08-23, 17:54)dhead Wrote: @oWarchild

Yep, 150$ seem pricey at first but Geekbuying stating it comes with licensed Windows 10 and also it's the first device that's available (not counting tablets).
Jean-Luc posted in the past that the difference between licensed Windows 8.1 device to non licensed is around 30$.

Yes. Important to remember that Windows 8.1 with Bing was only free to OEMs for Tablet-type devices. It still has a cost on small PCs, HDMI sticks etc. That's why a lot of the early non-Tablet devices came with non-activated Windows installs.
Fair point on the Windows license.

Thanks @Darkscythe, that first impressions video looks good! Any chance you can try running OpenELEC?
(2015-08-24, 12:33)oWarchild Wrote: Fair point on the Windows license.

Thanks @Darkscythe, that first impressions video looks good! Any chance you can try running OpenELEC?

Looks like it's a 32-bit UEFI - same as the Z3735F devices I believe. I wouldn't know where to start unfortunately.

My full review is up for those that are happy to run Kodi on Windows though: Click here to read it
(2015-08-25, 08:19)Darkscythe Wrote: Looks like it's a 32-bit UEFI - same as the Z3735F devices I believe. I wouldn't know where to start unfortunately.

My full review is up for those that are happy to run Kodi on Windows though: Click here to read it

@Darkscythe

I'm guessing that Windows is too "stupid" to be able to run 64bit kernel on 32bit UEFI fw (which can be done in Linux).
Also Jean-Luc saying exactly the opposite.
Yeah, it looks like you're right. I'll look into testing OpenELEC if I can find time. Thanks
Review here suggests the Tronsmart X5 is running Win 10 64 bit, so that suggests 64 bit UEFI? http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/08/24/r...processor/

See below screenshot linked on site :

Does this TV box have the ability to pass-through both HD audio formats?
CNXSoft was able to run Ubuntu, but some issues subside: Ubuntu 14.04 / 15.04 Tested in Tronsmart Ara X5 Cherry Trail Mini PC
I'm actually considering one of these boxes to replace my single-core Athlon box.

I guess Tronsmart would be better since its Windows 10 is actually licensed?
hi. would anyone here happen to know if it is possible to use a ps3 or xbox controller on a device such as this running windows? it would be only used for kodi and netflix. can you use kodi and netflix with these types of controllers just like i do with my android device?

due to an injury to my hands from work its very hard to use a keyboard and mouse. i've tried all types but a ps3 or xbox controller is comfortable to use

i just wanted to try kodi with a windows os rather than android

thanks
(2015-09-22, 03:14)theo point-o Wrote: hi. would anyone here happen to know if it is possible to use a ps3 or xbox controller on a device such as this running windows? it would be only used for kodi and netflix. can you use kodi and netflix with these types of controllers just like i do with my android device?

due to an injury to my hands from work its very hard to use a keyboard and mouse. i've tried all types but a ps3 or xbox controller is comfortable to use

thanks

Xbox 360/one would work perfectly fine within windows, You would need a third party driver to get a ps3 controller to work within Windows. Controller works perfectly within KODI onwindows just like kodi on android.
(2015-09-22, 05:25)Topken Wrote:
(2015-09-22, 03:14)theo point-o Wrote: hi. would anyone here happen to know if it is possible to use a ps3 or xbox controller on a device such as this running windows? it would be only used for kodi and netflix. can you use kodi and netflix with these types of controllers just like i do with my android device?

thanks

Xbox 360/one would work perfectly fine within windows, You would need a third party driver to get a ps3 controller to work within Windows. Controller works perfectly within KODI onwindows just like kodi on android.
thanks a lot. i think i'll buy this system and get an xbox controller
Hi,

@Darkscythe, were you able to test openelec?

thanks
Fritsch openelec is booting with Tronsmart Ara X5

http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/experimental/

Used a sandisk USB3 16gb USB stick in USB3 port
change in bios, boot from sandisk
there where no sound, so i use my PS3 Sony Wireless Stereo Headset 7.1

I'm so happy!

Hope fritsch can fix audio and wifi drivers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tronsmart Ara X5 TV box - Cherry Trail0