Tronsmart Ara X5 TV box - Cherry Trail
@envagyok
Sadly but as far i know this device is no capable of any audio under Linux. Sad
ppl use external usb sound cards to get any sound.
(2016-03-28, 07:16)envagyok Wrote: Capable this device passtrough hd audio under Windows or Linux?

AIUI under Windows you will get PCM 5.1/7.1 and DD/DTS/DD+ passthrough over HDMI, so you can use newer versions of Kodi in Windows to output HD Audio losslessly decoded to PCM multichannel (same as the Pi, and early Blu-ray players, PS3 etc.) This will give you lossless HD Audio - but won't allow Dolby True HD with Atmos/DTS:X to be bitstreamed. There isn't HD Audio bitstreaming support in Windows (same reason as for Braswell and Bay Trail Celerons I expect - no Protected Audio Path support?)

Intel don't officially support the Bay Trail X-series SoCs for Linux, apart from with a forked Ubuntu build which has a non-mainline kernel AIUI. Think that may have been PCM 2.0 (effectively emulating an analogue stereo output), though I may be wrong. Linux on the Bay Trail and Cherry Trail tablet SoCs (which are also used in Compute Sticks and these Mini Wintel boxes) isn't officially supported by Intel it seems.
Thanks for info Sad
There is a new version of Ara X5, named Ara X5 Plus..

http://www.tronsmart.com/products/tronsmart-ara-x5-plus

It have a different chip for Wi-Fi and Audio, but the spec is not very detail, I mean if it support on Linux HD Audio over HDMI or only Stereo on AUX , and it significantly more expensive than a standard one.

(2016-03-28, 20:53)porlock Wrote: There is a new version of Ara X5, named Ara X5 Plus..

http://www.tronsmart.com/products/tronsmart-ara-x5-plus

It have a different chip for Wi-Fi and Audio, but the spec is not very detail, I mean if it support on Linux HD Audio over HDMI or only Stereo on AUX , and it significantly more expensive than a standard one.

The Realtek and CMedia audio is linked to the analogue audio support, the HDMI audio is part of the GPU effectively (and thus a function of the x5-8300 SoC) and the same on both models effectively I think.
(2016-03-28, 22:07)noggin Wrote: The Realtek and CMedia audio is linked to the analogue audio support, the HDMI audio is part of the GPU effectively (and thus a function of the x5-8300 SoC) and the same on both models effectively I think.

this.
i get working HDMI audio for Cherry Trail and Bay Trail Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin with kernel 4.5

[ 6.700321] had: ******** HAD DRIVER loading.. Ver: 0.01.003
[ 6.701846] [drm] mid_hdmi_audio_register: Scheduling HDMI audio work queue
[ 6.728415] dw_dmac INTL9C60:00: DesignWare DMA Controller, 8 channels
[ 6.755058] dw_dmac INTL9C60:01: DesignWare DMA Controller, 8 channels

Kernel 4.5 was released on 13 March 2016 that is more than one month ago.
I want to buy a Z8300 chip hardware and track all the threads about HDMI audio.
The main question is how do You achieve that :-), nobody reports that HDMI audio works on Z8300 work with kernel 4.5 and like I write before it is more than month since this kernel was released.
(2016-04-19, 10:31)piotrasd Wrote: i get working HDMI audio for Cherry Trail and Bay Trail Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin with kernel 4.5

[ 6.700321] had: ******** HAD DRIVER loading.. Ver: 0.01.003
[ 6.701846] [drm] mid_hdmi_audio_register: Scheduling HDMI audio work queue
[ 6.728415] dw_dmac INTL9C60:00: DesignWare DMA Controller, 8 channels
[ 6.755058] dw_dmac INTL9C60:01: DesignWare DMA Controller, 8 channels

Do you get multichannel PCM and/or HD Audio passthrough ?
i will make test later, i just compiled kernel after i got from intel guys new patch - run Openelec - and sound working !!!
but im after night shift so now im going do bed
(2016-04-19, 10:39)porlock Wrote: Kernel 4.5 was released on 13 March 2016 that is more than one month ago.
I want to buy a Z8300 chip hardware and track all the threads about HDMI audio.
The main question is how do You achieve that :-), nobody reports that HDMI audio works on Z8300 work with kernel 4.5 and like I write before it is more than month since this kernel was released.
Becuase i use special patch which i got from Intel developers Wink
my latest image Openelec with EGL and HDMI audio patch - https://www.sendspace.com/file/ssafj8/ (working only for Atoms silvermont family)
(2016-04-19, 10:41)noggin Wrote: Do you get multichannel PCM and/or HD Audio passthrough ?
Curious as well as I only got PCM on Beelink BT3 (same Intel h/w).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
A complete kodi.log will show the available capabilities. So post one, please - with that patched openelec / libreelec.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
http://pastebin.com/WjYD8tTB here kodi.log
That's a log without the audio devices :-) so worthless.

The crashlog seems to be a broken TVxy.db file.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tronsmart Ara X5 TV box - Cherry Trail0