v15 Buffering does most of the time not work correctly
Kodi 15 most of the time does not buffer correctly when video streams are played while the network connection is temporarily too slow. With previous versions of Kodi, a pop up appeared always on the top right of the screen when the network was too slow informing that Kodi was buffering. The play back of the video was then paused till enough of the video file stream was received to play the video further.

With Kodi 15 this has changed. Only sometimes this still works as before and playing of the video is paused automatically while Kodi is buffering the received video stream. But most of the time when the network is slow, the audio is switched off and the playing of the video is slowed down, as in slow motion. But the video is not paused. When Kodi does this, you can view the slow played video but you cannot hear the sound so this becomes very irritating. Most of the time Kodi does not automatically recover from this and I have to buffer manually by pausing the video for some time.

This behavior is exactly the same on my PC with Windows and on my Raspberry Pi 2 that is running on OpenElec.

Is there a way that I can configure Kodi 15 to always temporarily pause the video and buffer when playing video streams while the network connection is temporarily too slow as previous versions of Kodi used to do?
I have found the solution for my Raspberry Pi 2. In System - Settings - Video - Acceleration I had enabled "Allow hardware acceleration - MMAL". I have now changed this to "Allow hardware acceleration - OMXPlayer" and the buffering issue is solved. Now playback properly pauses when the network connection speed is temporarily too slow and playing starts again automatically after some time of buffering.
(2015-08-10, 20:30)ErikBrown Wrote: Kodi 15 most of the time does not buffer correctly when video streams are played while the network connection is temporarily too slow. With previous versions of Kodi, a pop up appeared always on the top right of the screen when the network was too slow informing that Kodi was buffering. The play back of the video was then paused till enough of the video file stream was received to play the video further.

With Kodi 15 this has changed. Only sometimes this still works as before and playing of the video is paused automatically while Kodi is buffering the received video stream. But most of the time when the network is slow, the audio is switched off and the playing of the video is slowed down, as in slow motion. But the video is not paused. When Kodi does this, you can view the slow played video but you cannot hear the sound so this becomes very irritating. Most of the time Kodi does not automatically recover from this and I have to buffer manually by pausing the video for some time.

This behavior is exactly the same on my PC with Windows and on my Raspberry Pi 2 that is running on OpenElec.

Is there a way that I can configure Kodi 15 to always temporarily pause the video and buffer when playing video streams while the network connection is temporarily too slow as previous versions of Kodi used to do?

I'm having this exact problem but sometimes when I pause the video and play it again it plays like in fast motion but also no sound; I don't think is the network being slow cause everything seems to work fine (fast enough) when I use the internet. I'm using Windows 10 and Kodi 15.0. I've tried to change the video acceleration option mentioned above but I only have "DXVA2" next to "Allow hardware acceleration" as an option to tick or untick...nothing else. Any other ideas?
Think I'm facing the same issue at times.

Running @fritsch's EGL OE build (15/08/20, based off 15.1) on a HSW i5 NUC, but don't think this is build-related, which is why I'm posting it here...

Have not seen this on local streams from my NAS so far, but on internet streams using the YouTube Add-on:
* Network gets slow, slow-motion effect.
* I pause manually and wait, but do not see the buffering bar extending
* It does seem to buffer though, because when I unpause, the stream runs in fast-motion, emptying the buffer too quickly

Using default buffer settings, i.e. no advancedsettings entries in that regard...

Am debug-logging trying to catch it and will post it as soon as I can.

But if this is a known issue or fixed in the meantime, please let me know...
I am aware of this. It's related to what I described here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=237842. I am working on this but don't expect a fix for 15.x
Thank You, FernetMenta. Will keep an eye on the thread you have linked in case you need some runtime testing...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering does most of the time not work correctly0