• 16(current)
TheCocktailDB.com - An Open Cocktail Database with API
Hi docwra,
I'm a Junior Android Developer from Russia. I want to write an app with your API for my resume. But i have a few questions. I would like to get access to the paid filter and lists. But I am a student without a job and I cannot pay monthly. Can I pay a fixed sum of money once? I am also interested on a multi-filter. Can the filter work with different parameters (for example, category, ingredients)? I tried to use it https://www.thecocktaildb.com/api/json/v...lic&c=Shot but it returns an incorrect list. Can it be fixed?
Thanking in advance.
Marina 

p.s sorry for my english Smile
(2019-05-17, 21:46)c0d3rpu55y Wrote: Hi guys,
i invested some time and inserted the first complete translation for German into the Online Excel. Have fun.  Big Grin
Thanks again for this, its now been imported to the site!
Hi, zag,
I'm developing a capsule for Bixby and I need a key before pushing into marketplace. Could I ask you for an access?
Thanks a lot for this nice API
Please follow the instructions on the api page, to email me. thx
(2019-08-22, 23:01)docwra Wrote: Please follow the instructions on the api page, to email me. thx

I'm using API key '1' right now but accordingly to api page I need a production api key to release it. I found I can contact "zag (at) kodi.tv" but PMs are closed (cause I'm new here?). Thanks in advance
email.....
Rainbow 
(2019-08-23, 23:38)docwra Wrote: email.....

Done.
Hi! Thank You for providing TheCocktailDB!
First thing I noticed is that for 579 recipeis there are 471 different ingredients. That sounds odd. I took a quick look at the first 160 (https://www.thecocktaildb.com/api/json/v...php?i=list) and found what I expected: duplicates. Example:
Quote:"Light rum"
"Rum"
"White Rum"
These could / shoud be merged.
For "Malibu rum" vs. "Coconut rum" is not so obvious.
There might be cases where people might argue that "Brand Name" is not the same as "Generic Liquor". Would be  adding a "alternative" field to the database an option? So that we can keep eg. "Barcadi" as an ingredient but list "Light Rum" as an alternative to it?
Further down the line the alternative ingredients could be recepies, too. For example "Grape Soda" might be replaced by 1 part "Soda" and 1 part "Grape Juice".
Background for all that is that I plan to build a "BarBot" - a cocktail mixing robot like Hector 9000 (https://hackaday.io/project/161585-hector-9000) and use the API to access recepies. Unlike humans the robot will not be able to decide that he can use "Light Rum" instead of "Barcadi"...
An other comment on the database / API:
Would it be possible to have the alcoholic flag on the ingredient? A coctail would be "Alcoholic" if it has one or more alcoholic ingredients. This would allow replacing e. g. Campari by an non alcolic bitter to get a "virgin" variant of e. g. "Campari Orange"
(note to myself: Add this "Campari Orange" to the DB)
(2019-08-30, 09:29)blaumann Wrote: Hi! Thank You for providing TheCocktailDB!
First thing I noticed is that for 579 recipeis there are 471 different ingredients. That sounds odd. I took a quick look at the first 160 (https://www.thecocktaildb.com/api/json/v...php?i=list) and found what I expected: duplicates. Example:
Quote:"Light rum"
"Rum"
"White Rum"
These could / shoud be merged.
For "Malibu rum" vs. "Coconut rum" is not so obvious.
There might be cases where people might argue that "Brand Name" is not the same as "Generic Liquor". Would be  adding a "alternative" field to the database an option? So that we can keep eg. "Barcadi" as an ingredient but list "Light Rum" as an alternative to it?
Further down the line the alternative ingredients could be recepies, too. For example "Grape Soda" might be replaced by 1 part "Soda" and 1 part "Grape Juice".
Background for all that is that I plan to build a "BarBot" - a cocktail mixing robot like Hector 9000 (https://hackaday.io/project/161585-hector-9000) and use the API to access recepies. Unlike humans the robot will not be able to decide that he can use "Light Rum" instead of "Barcadi"... 
Totally cool! I've seen a few developers do this, nice!

Yes you make good points, basically the database needs to be normalised.

The ingredient count is correct but the API only returns the first ingredient at the moment for performance reasons. Its a known issue that I am going to look into.
(2019-08-30, 11:20)blaumann Wrote: An other comment on the database / API:
Would it be possible to have the alcoholic flag on the ingredient? A coctail would be "Alcoholic" if it has one or more alcoholic ingredients. This would allow replacing e. g. Campari by an non alcolic bitter to get a "virgin" variant of e. g. "Campari Orange"

Good idea! As with anything though, its a bit of work doing this for 400+ ingredients Smile

Adding the flag should be easy, I will add it to the todo list...
(2019-08-30, 12:46)docwra Wrote:

Good idea! As with anything though, its a bit of work doing this for 400+ ingredients Smile

I'd volunteer to do the normalisation and filling the alcohol / no alcohol flag once you have canged the database.

Do we want to distingush between extra light / light / strong / extra strong alcohol?
i. e. beer and wine < 15 / liqueur 15 % - 35 % / booze 36 - 60 / moonshine > 60
(2019-08-30, 13:05)blaumann Wrote:

Do we want to distingush between extra light / light / strong / extra strong alcohol?
Yes! good ideas.

I have implemented 2 new fields in the ingredient table:

strAlcohol (Yes/No)
strABV (0-100)

There is also an existing strType field for normalised drink types such as vodka/whisky/spirit/mixer etc.

And finally an ingredient description: strDescription

I will fill out the data over the coming days, i'm not sure if this is exposed on the API yet but I will check that as well.

EDIT: Just tested and its fully exposed on the API:

https://www.thecocktaildb.com/api/json/v...germeister
(2019-09-01, 20:59)docwra Wrote:
(2019-08-30, 13:05)blaumann Wrote:
(2019-08-30, 12:46)docwra Wrote: W

Yes! good ideas.

I have implemented 2 new fields in the ingredient table:

strAlcohol (Yes/No)
strABV (0-100)

There is also an existing strType field for normalised drink types such as vodka/whisky/spirit/mixer etc.

And finally an ingredient description: strDescription

I will fill out the data over the coming days, i'm not sure if this is exposed on the API yet but I will check that as well.

EDIT: Just tested and its fully exposed on the API:

https://www.thecocktaildb.com/api/json/v...germeister 
Wow! That was quick! Thank you so much!
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TheCocktailDB.com - An Open Cocktail Database with API2