Linux Noob with basic TV questions
Rainbow 
I have Kodi 14.2 installed on Kubuntu 14.04 on a PC. I also have Kodi 15 on OpenELEC 6 on an Intel NUC. For testing, I also installed Kodi on an iMac just to see how it worked on that platform. I have similar questions about Kodi on all these platforms. I'm basically running into the same issues on all 3, so I don't think my questions are platform specific. But given that I intend to use only Kubuntu and OpenELEC in the future, I am asking my questions here.

I want to be able to watch CNN (and other news). I also want to be able to watch current episodes of the Dr. Oz show (a popular "health entertainment" show in the USA). If I can do those two things, I will have accomplished my immediate goals for Kodi.

I do not have a TV tab showing on any of my installs. I understand I might have to install a PVR backend on Kubuntu, but I am finding conflicting instructions. (On my first try, Kodi stopped launching after I followed the Linux PVR installation instructions.)

I also understand that OpenELEC already has PVR backends installed. But I am still unable to figure out how to watch TV.

I do not understand how TV is supposed to work in Kodi. Where do I find a beginner's guide to Kodi TV? I would appreciate some pointers to the right tutorials or some advice.

Is it normal for AddOns such as Phoenix and "World News Live" to mostly not play any content? Of all the channels/streams/link (not sure which is the right term) in World News Live, only one or two work for me. Same with Phoenix -- most links are broken/non-functional.

The AddOns that work best for me are Ororo.TV, SALTS, and Navi-X. Most of the others seem to have nothing but non-functional links. Is this normal?
See: http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons

This TV was invented for DVB-C/T/S and not for illegal pirated streams that one finds arround the net ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for that info. I have removed the banned AddOns. I reverted to a clean Kodi install.

In the case of CNN, they have a legal live internet stream. How would I watch that in Kodi?

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=1

Also, where do I find a beginner's guide to Kodi TV?

The reply above didn't specifically say, but if I read between the lines it seems to indicate that I need to install a TV tuner card in my PC. Is that correct? I can tune local over the air channels. That would be sufficient if it works well in Kodi.

Thanks for any help.
I have a Hauppauge 850 I would like to try for watching TV in Kodi. I'm running OpenELEC 5.95.3 (x86_64) installed on an Intel NUC (N3050 CPU, 8 GB RAM).

As far as I can tell, this tutorial (http://kodi.wiki/view/Tvheadend_PVR) does not apply to Kodi 15 or OpenELEC (or I don't understand what I'm reading).

Can anyone tell me how to get a USB TV tuner working in Kodi 15? Thanks
Overview:

1. Install the kodi unofficial addons repo

2. Install the tvheadend service from the unofficial repo

3. Configure tvheadend from your web browser

4. configure and turn on the pvr.hts frontend.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-08-16, 02:14)nickr Wrote: Overview:

1. Install the kodi unofficial addons repo

2. Install the tvheadend service from the unofficial repo

3. Configure tvheadend from your web browser

4. configure and turn on the pvr.hts frontend.

Thank you. That helps. Part of my confusion is that "OpenELEC currently ships with Tvheadend 3.4 backend software." However, I'm not sure if that applies to 6.0 beta 3 because when I point a web browser at http://my_kodi_lan_ip:9981 nothing is there. (The IP address is correct and kodi's UI comes up on the default port.)
You need to install the backend from the unofficial repo and on oe 5.0.8 the tvh version is now 4.3.14.

I don't have 5.95.3 installed.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-08-16, 02:28)nickr Wrote: You need to install the backend from the unofficial repo and on oe 5.0.8 the tvh version is now 4.3.14.

I don't have 5.95.3 installed.

I looked up "kodi unofficial repos". I found a page with a full list. But I cannot tell which repo I need to install.
Sorry it is actually openelec unofficial repo.

Go to settings|addons|get addons|openelec mediacenter OS addons|add-on repository and there should be one option to install.

Then inside that repo under services you should find tvheadend.

Some of the addons stuff has changed in kodi 15, but hopefully you'll find your way around.
Wink 
(2015-08-16, 03:35)nickr Wrote: Sorry it is actually openelec unofficial repo.

Go to settings|addons|get addons|openelec mediacenter OS addons|add-on repository and there should be one option to install.

Then inside that repo under services you should find tvheadend.

Some of the addons stuff has changed in kodi 15, but hopefully you'll find your way around.

Thank you. Now I am making progress :-)
It looks like my USB TV Tuner is recognized. This is from dmesg:

[ 3.757754] DVB: registering new adapter (au0828)
[ 3.757762] usb 1-4: DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Auvitek AU8522 QAM/8VSB Frontend)...
[ 3.820829] au0828: Registered device AU0828 [Hauppauge HVR850]

And I get a valid page when I browse to this address:
http://my_kodi_lan_ip:9981

But it looks really different from the tutorial here:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Configuring_Tvheadend

Not sure how to configure my tvheadend with Kodi 15. Need some more help (or a tutorial). Thanks
For configuring tvheadend, you probably want to look at the tvheadend web page.

The look of the web page has changed though. The process is pretty similar though.

Post a screenshot of yours if you like.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob with basic TV questions1