Live TV buffering breakup
I am fairly new to this having swapped from NextPVR a week ago. Only started on any TV/PC reception 2-3W ago. W7/32 bit SP1 Toshiba laptop, dual core 2GHz, 4GB RAM, Kodi 15.0, Argus TV 2.3, August DVB T210 receiver, external aerial and SLx booster. Signal is generally OK on my (oldish) DVB-T Sony TV and my main reason for doing all this is (a) to get DVB T2 programmes and (b) to be able to record HD.

Finding a lot of breakup on live TV (Motors TV). Goes in bursts - OK for a bit, bad for a bit, and so on. Nothing obvious going on in the laptop at the time, though I do notice that the Argus scheduler log seems to say it is importing EPD data at the bad times (don't see how it can be as it is a single tuner, tuned to Motors TV?). When its going wrong the Kodi log says things like:

Code:
08:24:49 T:4860   ERROR: CDVDPlayerAudio::DecodeFrame - Decode Error. Skipping audio packet (-1094995529)
08:24:50 T:4860   ERROR: Previous line repeats 8 times.
08:24:50 T:4860 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
08:24:50 T:4860  NOTICE: CDVDPlayerAudio::OutputPacket skipping a packets of duration 21
08:24:50 T:4860  NOTICE: CDVDPlayerAudio::OutputPacket duplicate 4 packets of duration 21
08:24:50 T:4860  NOTICE: Previous line repeats 1 times.
08:24:50 T:4860   ERROR: CDVDPlayerAudio::DecodeFrame - Decode Error. Skipping audio packet (-1094995529)
08:24:50 T:4860 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
08:24:50 T:4860   ERROR: CDVDMsgGeneralSynchronize - timeout
08:24:52 T:4860   ERROR: Previous line repeats 3 times.

The PC task manager tends to show 10-20% CPU usage evenly spread over the two cores, and nothing else of significance appears to be running. Stopped the AV (Kaspersky) to see if that helped - it didn't.

The first thing I'm trying to work out is - is this genuinely poor signal, or is it some sort of loading issue in the laptop? The second is - any suggestions on how to improve it?

One clue seems to be this EPG import that does possibly correlates. EPG grabbing is from the off air stream.
I've been having some problems with this since updating to 15.1, try adjusting these in advancedsettings.xml:
Code:
    <pvr>
        <minvideocachelevel>15</minvideocachelevel>
        <minaudiocachelevel>15</minaudiocachelevel>
    </pvr>

Default is 5, 15 seems to stop stuttering completely for me.

See here for more info:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=159142

Quote:pvr doesn't use these settings. if you'd like to tune buffering, you're looking for these:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<pvr>
<minvideocachelevel>X</minvideocachelevel>
<minaudiocachelevel>Y</minaudiocachelevel>
</pvr>
</advancedsettings>

X and Y are percentages, minimum waterlevel of the video and audio input buffers in the player. i don't know what queue sizes omxplayer is currently using, so it'll be trial and error. default values are 5% for video and 10% for audio, so try some higher values than that to reduce the chance of an underrun. it'll make channel switching slower, so don't use values that are very high

and more info on advancedsettings.xml here:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#pvr
Sorry for the long delay. I have been (a) unavailable and (b) now know much more what is working and what is not. Actually, all my problems (which I still have) now are when recording and not viewing, so I will start another thread on that specifically.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV buffering breakup1