Linux (Kodibuntu) Severe stuttering/buffering during on-disk playback
About 30 seconds in to an episode, the video will freeze, the audio will stop, and the "Buffering..." dialog appears at the top-right of the screen. This pause lasts for anywhere from a few seconds to over a minute, and the video "jumps" forward after the dialog disappears, presumably to the location where the video would have been had it continued playing normally. Needless to say, it's unwatchable.

If I live-tail the logs, the messages
Code:
CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
appear to be correlated with these pauses. That's what I initially searched for while looking for a solution, but it usually seems to be a network problem.
I see that once (5 seconds). Does this only happen with those .avi files?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'll have to check to be sure, but I believe it's also happening with a .mkv movie file.
Correction - the movie file that was having trouble is a .mp4. I don't recall if that can be used as a container for AVIs?
The question was more about if it only happens with mpeg-4 / divx / avi. And if h264 is fine?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Oh, thanks for clarifying, I don't know much about compression formats.

I opened up an h264 HD movie and seek'd around all over the duration; no sign of any hiccups or buffering, which would occur almost immediately if I did it in one of the other files.
Just kidding! Looks like it's happening for some h264 files, as well.

Debug log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/12148725/
Any idea what's going on with my install? Am I just looking at a bad drive that's somehow passing fsck? Should I try a clean installation?
looks like your playing 24p videos on 60Hz with passthrough audio. This won't work.
Enable "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" in settings, video, playback.

If it still doesn't work, disable audio passthrough for a test.
Interesting, I will give that a try.

This still seems a little odd to me, however, as I'm now seeing this on older files that previously played without issue. Is this a new setting in Isengard?
no, been there for a long time
No joy. Even with "Adjust display refresh rate" set to "On start/stop", and "Enable passthrough" disabled, I'm still seeing the buffering issue.

Debug log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/12227956/
I still see only broken mpeg-4 files. Make sure scaling (click on the Film role) is set to bilinear.

Second: if above does not help, disable vaapi for mpeg-4 additionally. Save bilinear for all files.

Third: use openelec for a test 5.95.4
Could you please check the cpu usage during stuttering (via eg top). If it's about 100% it looks a lot like my issue
issue http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=236482
@fritsch: Just got a chance to test your recommendations. Confirmed that scaling is "bilinear" on at least one of the files experiencing this issue, and that VAAPI is disabled (although I don't see an option to disable it for MPEG-4, specifically.)

How do I perform an OpenELEC test? Can I run a live instance off a flash drive, or do I need a full install?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(Kodibuntu) Severe stuttering/buffering during on-disk playback0