Why not .jpg instead of .tbn?
Just wondering why we can't have a .jpg file for the grahpic of a movie, this would make the data more compatible with other media center software, like instead of 16 Blocks.tbn I could have it 16 Blocks.jpg, then I could allow my Mac Mini to connect via a program called MediaCentral and it would show the thumbnail.

Perhaps we could have a way to change this behaviour or is there already a way to do this and if so why not have .jpg as the default behaivour instead of the more propritery .tbn?
I could be wrhong, but I thought windows picks up the .tbn in thumbnail view.
Or maybe it uses the folder.jpg
I could be wrong, but I thought windows picks up the .tbn in thumbnail view.
Or maybe it uses the folder.jpg
Well I am on Mac and it's a pain to have to rename them all the time
if you're runing macosx, it should be easy to write a little shell script to rename them all.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Windows does not pick up the .tbn files.
mistafro: this one-liner would create a hard link for each jpg with extension tbn.
for file in *.jpg; do ln "$file" "`echo $file | sed 's/jpg/tbn/'`"; done

This approach would give you a double set of files but it does not take up any extra space. If you don't want to clutter the directories, simply replace "ln" with "mv"
I think the extension of the thumbnail files could be customizable. Using .jpg as the extension would make it more convenient for some people while others might prefer the default. Having .jpg has the thumbnail extension would bring with it the need for a special-case scenario when browsing photos (photo1.jpg is a thumbnail for what file ?)
See I could simply have 2 copies of the thumbnail one with a .jpg and one with .tbn but it is wasted space and clutters the directory, could someone add this?
It actually doesn't waste space. In *nix, hard link is simply another visual link to the same data stored on disk.
ok, but I store my files on a Linksys NSLU2, so in order to get that to work would I use terminal on the Mac I need to access the files from?

Also what do you mean about the "In" "mv" part? Sorry I am a beginner when it comes to terminal stuff.
I'm not sure what filesystem the Linksys uses, so the "ln" approach might not work. I thought you were using a Mac as your file server. "ln" (lowercase L, not 1 (one)) and "mv" are unix commands. ln creates a hard link between two files (similar to "copy" in dos) and mv renames a file (similar to "ren" in dos).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why not .jpg instead of .tbn?0