Time Seeking
Hi,

(Kodi 15.1, Windows 7)

I use the mouse wheel to scroll forward and backward through recorded TV shows and videos.

This is mainly to scroll through ads or downtime in sporting events.

When I scroll, the amount of time that is played forward or backwards varies on the size of the movie. (percentage based?)

eg. 1 hour movie will have 15 second increments. 2 hour movie will have 30 second increments. 4 hour movie will have 1 min increments.

I would prefer to have an 10 second increment regardless of the size of the movie. This provides a high level of precision. By moving the wheel further, you can get longer increments if needed.

What is the simplest method to achieve this.

(I created the advancedsettings.xml file. <usetimeseeking>true</usetimeseeking> <!-- Whether to use time based or percentage based seeking. --> Changing this to true or false had no effect on playback).
The scroll wheel acts like an analog input in Kodi. The faster you scroll, the farther the seek, when using the same "wheel distance". The "slowest" you can go might be limited by the physical mouse or how the OS handles scrolling speed.
Hi Ned,

Thanks for your reply.

The wheel works perfectly well. I can get 8 second increments in a recording that is roughly 30 mins.

The faster scrolling is a great feature as well. I really like it. I reduced the sensitivity of it in Kodi's settings and it works smoothly.

The problem is that for the same amount of mouse wheel movement, the size of the jump changes. eg. 1 hour movie jumps in 15 second increments, 4 hour movie, 1 min increments.

It continues to scale up which I assume is percentage based on the length of the recording. I want a fixed increment that doesn't change. My use of the function does not change regardless of the program size. Ads don't get bigger. Downtime in sporting events don't get longer. etc.
have a look at this thread
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=171647

You'll be creating (if not already existing) a file "mouse.xml"? (I have never modified a mouse before but the guide says thats how you do it)
and your interested in changing
<wheeldown>wheeldown</wheeldown>
<wheelup>wheelup</wheelup>

since your in kodi 15 you can use the latest skip steps
http://kodi.wiki/view/Skip_steps
you can do as you want and have a fixed amount of step or change it how you like.

I think thats what you do, but i've not tried it. have a go

edit, i'm still on gotham so not sure how skip step works (Neds good at it) so i think you'll want a small delay with 10 second inscrements up and down, without a delay everytime you do mouse up kodi will try to start it instantly and it'll slow the skipping process considerably, I see this behaviour before kodi adding skip steps
No, this is different from additive seeking. This is just the normal way the scroll wheel seeks, which I think is analogseek.
I'm not sure if there is an easy way to make it not percentage based. I'm betting that's something in the code, and I don't know where in the code I would even look for that kind of control. One of the devs would need to look at this. I'll move this to feature requests to get more attention to it.
Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. I am still learning Kodi after happily ditching media center.

I did some further testing.

I created an advancedsettings.xml file with the following information.

<advancedsettings>
<seeksteps>8, 15, 30</seeksteps>
</advancedsettings>

I updated system/settings/video/playback/ skip steps to use those values.

I tested using a 3 hour tv recording.

When I use the arrow key on the keyboard to scroll forward/back. It works perfectly. 8,15,30 etc.(fixed time value with fast scrolling)

When I use the mouse wheel, it increments only in 45 second intervals. 45, 90, 135 etc. (percentage of recording length with fast scrolling)

I would like to find a way to make the mouse wheel mimic the default arrow key behavior or if the developers could make this the default behavior for the mouse wheel in an update, that would be even better.

MediaPi I was able to modify the mouse.xml file as you suggested to. It was an interesting idea.

<wheelup>Seek(10)</wheelup>
<wheeldown>Seek(-10)</wheeldown>

This does achieve fixed 10 second increments. eg. 10, 10, 10, 10, 10. (fixed time value without fast scrolling)

Unfortunately, you lose the faster scrolling feature and end up spinning the wheel over ten times to advance the program a couple of minutes. You could use a higher value to solve this but then you lose the precision of being able to move in small increments.
That's why I said you'll need a delay, your using instant skipping by using seek(10)
You want to use actions
Stepforward
Stepback

And then setup how much forward and backward you want in advancesettings, which I believe you already have done. Also you want a delay so it gives you some time before you skip so you can achieve multiple steps in one go.

It should work if you was able to modify to what you done. So change the actions, Stepforward and look into how to do delay, though I believe there's a delay by default so just try changing the actions
Scroll seeking is like Any other action, that's why change the Action
<wheelup>StepForward</wheelup>

You can set a delay whereby Kodi waits an x amount of time for another step before executing the Acton otherwise it'll do instant Stepforward.this is on by default but can be modified in settings, check the wiki I posted
MediaPi, you're not listening to him. He tried that, and it is not what he wants. That's not even how the scrollwheel normally seeks in videos.
It's not what he wants because I explained he needed to be careful not to use instant skipping (which he did)

It already does work as op has managed to change the Action of scroll wheel, he only needs to change the Acton to

<wheelup>StepForward</wheelup>
<wheeldown>StepBack</wheeldown>

Op wants the actions which are mapped to left and right key, which I believe is
Stepforward
Stepback
Which would mimic the Left right key.
No harm trying Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Time Seeking0