kodi 15.1 crash on startup on ubuntu 14.04 over mac os 10.10.5 parallels VM
Hello,

OK, I will try to provide all of the information required in the FAQ, but as I am new, may goof up.

The problem is Kodi 15.1 crashes on startup running on Ubuntu 14.04 in a Mac OS X 10.10.5 Parallels VM. It is impossible to set any debugging prefences using the GUI, because the GUI doesn't appear. I used advancedsettings.xml in .kodi/userdata with the following contents:

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>2</loglevel> <!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
</advancedsettings>

Here is the information I think is required:

1. The debug log is here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/12180937/
2. No screenshot is available, as kodi crashes immediately (there is a brief, i..e., less than 1 second, window when something seems to come up on the screen, but it immediately goes away)
4. Unix version: Linux Parallels-Ubuntu-14 3.13.0-62-generic #102-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 11 14:28:35 UTC 2015 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
5. Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 12
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Memory: 24 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 6.4 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

6. Install method: Ubuntu Software Center
7. Kodi Version (from Log File): Starting Kodi (15.1 Git:d496682). Platform: Linux x86 32-bit

Mac OS X version:

System Version: OS X 10.10.5 (14F27)
Kernel Version: Darwin 14.5.0

Parallels Version: Version 10.2.2 (29105)

I should note that UBMC 14.2 worked just fine under Parallels. In fact I can't get my HDHomeRun to work properly with XBMC running natively (lots of skips and frame drops), which is why I started running it under Parallels (I realize this makes very little sense, since Parallels is running over the Mac OS, but there it is).

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dan Nessett
you don't have an OpenGL capable gfx driver.

running kodi linux in Parallels on OSX is about as supported as milking pigs.
Just install kodi for OSX....
Thanks. However, as I mentioned (admittedly at the end of my original post and not prominently) I have installed kodi for OSX, but it drops frames from my HDHomerun. Since, this is the Linux/Live Support forum, I won't go into more detail (but will look for the appropriate place to do so on these fora).

I don't know how I would go about searching for an OpenGL capable gfx driver for Ubuntu 14.04. XBMC 14.2 worked fine on Ubuntu 14.04/Parallels/Mac OS X until I did an Ubuntu Software update. Then XBMC disappeared from the applications menu, so I installed Kodi 15.1 from the software repository and it crashed on startup.
install kodibuntu as usual
reboot
once you see the error message that kodibuntu requires opengl we need to do some things to overcome the error

- go to the console (fn+ctrl+alt+f1, or usually only ctrl+alt+f1)
- login using the username password you created on installation
- edit /etc/fstab (for example using vi or another console editor)
add the following line at the end of the file
/dev/cdrom /cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
save and exit
- in parallels click to install the parallel tools
back in the console enter the following 3 lines
mount /cdom
cd /cdrom
./install
- once done you will need to reboot
- error fixed
Thanks for the help. However, as I did not receive a timely response, I gave up on Kodi and have been using VLC, which appears to be more stable with less problems. However, your reply should help those who run into the problem I did and hopefully Kodi will benefit from my report and your analysis.

Regads,

Dan Nessett

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi 15.1 crash on startup on ubuntu 14.04 over mac os 10.10.5 parallels VM0