Release PictureIt - Kodi Visualization
watch gallery

LINUX ONLY (for now)

Description
PictureIt is supposed to make listening to music more elegant and less flashy.
The idea is to take random images YOU selected and display them alongside with a simple spectrum at the bottom.
Dead simple right?

- Features
  • Select a local directory containing your images (If sub-folders are present, those will be used as "Preset")
  • Update images by interval (configurable)
  • Update images on new track
  • Change the transition time
  • Enable/Disable the spectrum
  • Enable/Disable a settle spectrum-background
  • Change the spectrums: Width, Bottom-Padding, Animation-Speed

- ToDo
  • Rework the spectrum.
    As of now it looks quite busy and doesn't match the music very well.

Installation

1. Install the linuxwhatelse repository
  2. Install PictureIt
  3. Open the configuration and select a path to your images/wallpapers
  4. Enjoy! Smile

Downloads

- Repository
- Add-on

- Wallpaper collections
All the collection hosted by me can be foundhere Check the "Contribute" section below if you want to help out and provide collections yourself.

Contribute

- Source
This project is licensed under GPLv2 and the source can be found on github.

- Wallpaper collections
I'd love to see the community coming up with wallpaper-collection which than can featured here.
Just make sure that:
  • Images are at least 1920x1080
  • Images are always in a 16:9 ratio
  • Collections a properly categorized (e.g. Landscape, Anime/Manga, Fantasy/Sci-Fi etc.)
  • No author license get's violated.
    Having a text-file per collection with a "<image-file> - <author>" mapping probably would be for the best
If all this is the case, I could host them on my server to ensure availability.

Disclaimer
This is my first ever C++/OpenGl project so the source is most certainly not at it's finest.

Donate
Only because you can, doesn't mean you have to donate.
As long as you like and enjoy my work I'm happy Smile

If you still want to donate, feel free to do so. It is appreciated Smile

Important:
As a small thanks I'll add you to a public list of Donators within the project (if you like).
If so, while donating, add the name you'd like to be listed as in the message box Smile
Update 2016-04-13 16:18
Been quite some time since I posted an update and I feel really bad about it.
Not that anyone reads those updates but still...

So again...
No, this project is not dead, yes I haven't worked on it for a while (worked on other project though,
so I haven't been lazy) and yes, it looks like things are starting to gear up again Smile

So look out for future, real updates Wink

Update 2016-02-23 09:18
Important bugfix!
Yesterday I pushed a bugfix release to the repo which essentially fixes Kodi crashing when a new track starts.
I'm really sorry it took me that long to realize it's actually my vis crashing Kodi :/

Update 2015-12-07 10:11
Another quick progress update..
So far everything is going really well and I'm pretty happy with everything I got so far Smile
Everything I wanted/needed to do is pretty much there and I'm currently implementing a third effect (don't expect
something fancy though. I just made a simple Slide and now I'm working on a Flip effect)

Also, there are 4 image display modes now:
  • Stretch
  • Center
  • Zoom
  • Scale
Oh and the whole visualization will be very customisable. If you know how to read xml, have a look here if you'r interested Wink

Depending on how badly I want the new version to be released, I might implement the old fft library again but honestly I'd rather not ^^
If you don't know what fft is, don't worry. It's something I need to make the spectrum animate in a pretty way.
There is a project I'm waiting for to be finished which will make the Spectrum really awesome and oooh boy am I excited about it Smile

Update 2015-11-30 11:18
Thought I let everyone (who's actually interested and reads the updates) that I'm still working on the vis.
The current release was the very first draw so to speak. Now I'm trying and make things real nice (the source
I mean).
All this work will pay off in the future as it allows to e.g. "easily" add new transition effects etc.
(For now it's only the crossfade one, but I'll work on others once the base is finished).
If you like reading silly commit-messages and want to see what I'm up to, be my guest and head over to: Smile
https://github.com/linuxwhatelse/Picture...its/master
Yes, PictureIt, the core of everything, is now it's own project (a static library) and can be used wherever you can display OpenGL

That's all I wanted to so I think ^^

Update 2015-11-25 18:14
I decided to host the wallpaper collection I made for myself. If you are interested,
you can find them here Wink

Update 2015-11-20 19:40
New version 0.1.0 important notes!!!
  1. All of you can now uninstall SOIL again (unless you need it for something else of course) as I'm using another library that can be easily included in the project itself Smile
  2. After you updated to the new version, check the add-ons settings again because:
    • Transition time now is a value in milliseconds (instead of seconds)
    • Update interval now is a value in seconds (instead of minutes)

Update 2015-11-02 19:03
REPOSITORY RE-INSTALLATION REQUIRED!!!
Due to a change of mind I switch from uncompressed to compressed packages in the repository.
Therefore you have to reinstall the repository.
You can download it from here

Update 2015-10-30 18:27
Server is back up again. Took a little longer than expected ^^

Update 2015-10-30 14:50
My server will be down for maintenance for ~1 hour so the repository will not be available/reachable

Update 2015-09-01 15:05
I've created a repository so the visualization can be installed/updated easier: linuxwhatelse repository
Installation instructions have been updated accordingly.
Reserved
Oh that sounds like exactly what I am looking for.
Most of the visuals are too busy for my taste.

Will this work for Openelec?
(2015-10-05, 14:28)psysfaction Wrote: Oh that sounds like exactly what I am looking for.
Most of the visuals are too busy for my taste.

Will this work for Openelec?

Good question. Openelec is linux (based on debian I think?)... so if you can install SOIL, it should.
Let me know how it goes Smile
Awesome! Will check it out.

Finally someone made a pretty vizulization with pictures Wink

Feature requests:

- Multi colour spectrum
- Ken Burns effect picture
- Options for different height spectrums
- Fading on spectrum?
- Match fanart to artist from the music db
(2015-10-06, 10:17)zag Wrote: Awesome! Will check it out.

Finally someone made a pretty vizulization with pictures Wink

Feature requests:

- Multi colour spectrum
- Ken Burns effect picture
- Options for different height spectrums
- Fading on spectrum?
- Match fanart to artist from the music db

crap.. totally forgot to replay ^^

- Probably will come
- Not sure on that one. I'm still fairly new to OpenGL and this might be a little complicated ^^
- will come at some point
- Fading? So it fades together with the image you mean?
- Do I have access to that from a c++ addon? Than that might be possible IF I also get some form of information about the aspect-ratio
I really don't feel like trying to figure out the aspact-ratio of an image using c++ Big Grin

In terms of the spectrum a loooooot will change/be added once I got proper signal-processing in place (someone from team-kodi actually is helping me with that but I don't want to spoil any names)

So basically, a lot is planned but first I need the spectrum to animate properly and in a way I'm happy with it.
If this is not possible than... well.. not sure how much future effort I'll put into this vis. Probably not too much though :/
I wanted to leave a comment. I was trying to get the Pandora Addon to work with a random image type of screensaver.
The Pandora Addon doesn't trigger the screen saver, but it does allow for Visualizations. So I tried your PictureIT.
I wanted to note that if I run the PictureIT Addon with the spectrum turned on Pandora would just crash and go back to the home screen. With the spectrum turned off it works and uses the PictureIT Visualizer.

What is the difference between the image interval and transition time? I was assuming at X interval there would be some sort of transition to the new image, like a fade out. You don't really explain what they do.
It would be nice to have the ability to just say how many seconds you want for the transition as I would like 10 seconds as a minimum not 1 minute instead of having a slider.
I did try hacking the Addon settings and setting the transition time to .5 and while it worked and didn't crash it was pretty random at how long an image was displayed.

Thanks for working on this.
(2015-11-08, 00:23)losbyers Wrote: I wanted to leave a comment. I was trying to get the Pandora Addon to work with a random image type of screensaver.
The Pandora Addon doesn't trigger the screen saver, but it does allow for Visualizations. So I tried your PictureIT.
I wanted to note that if I run the PictureIT Addon with the spectrum turned on Pandora would just crash and go back to the home screen. With the spectrum turned off it works and uses the PictureIT Visualizer.

What is the difference between the image interval and transition time? I was assuming at X interval there would be some sort of transition to the new image, like a fade out. You don't really explain what they do.
It would be nice to have the ability to just say how many seconds you want for the transition as I would like 10 seconds as a minimum not 1 minute instead of having a slider.
I did try hacking the Addon settings and setting the transition time to .5 and while it worked and didn't crash it was pretty random at how long an image was displayed.

Thanks for working on this.

In terms of pandora crashing, that seems really odd. I'd have to test that myself to see what's going on there...

The settings:
  • Transition time (sec.) basically means how long the fad-over effect will take (from one image to the next one)
  • Update on new track should be self explanatory but this basically means that a new image will be displayed once the next track starts
  • Update by interval in combination with Image update interval (min.) defines the time before a new image will be displayed. The idea behind that on was for whenever you listen to a stream of some sort (where it is physically impossible for another track to start) to still see different images.

What I like to do for example is enable both, Update on new track and Update by interval and set the interval to 5 min. Usually a song takes about 3-4 minutes and therefore those do not interfere with each other.

Hope that cleared things up a bit Smile
awesome idea! I used this program in the past to grab a ton of images from National Geographic in the past which would compliment this very well.

http://apps.nozavi.com/natgeo-wallpaper-...r-overview

was last updated in 2010 so there are about 5 years worth of newer photos that are not available via this program

if anyone knows of a newer version or an alternative that can pull the rest of the natgeo collection please let me know.

thank you!
Hi,

thanks for the visualization!
But I've got a problem regarding the .so file.
In the GUI Kodi says something about can't load DLL,
the logs have the following message:
13:11:57 T:3033679680 ERROR: Unable to load /home/<user>/.kodi/addons/visualization.pictureit/visualization.pictureit.so, reason: /home/<user>/.kodi/addons/visualization.pictureit/visualization.pictureit.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

I guess it's a 32 bit .so file, since I'm using a 64 bit ubuntu.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks.
(2015-11-11, 14:38)TheNinja Wrote: Hi,

thanks for the visualization!
But I've got a problem regarding the .so file.
In the GUI Kodi says something about can't load DLL,
the logs have the following message:
13:11:57 T:3033679680 ERROR: Unable to load /home/<user>/.kodi/addons/visualization.pictureit/visualization.pictureit.so, reason: /home/<user>/.kodi/addons/visualization.pictureit/visualization.pictureit.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

I guess it's a 32 bit .so file, since I'm using a 64 bit ubuntu.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks.

Ahm.. I'm using 64bit as well and have been using this vis on ubuntu 15.04 and 15.10 (now I'm on arch) and it works.
You installed it via the linuxwhatelse repo I guess?
What ubuntu version are you on and are you sure you got a 64-bit ubuntu?
To verify follow: http://askubuntu.com/a/41334

If you run following command in a terminal:
Code:
file /home/<user>/.kodi/addons/visualization.pictureit/visualization.pictureit.so
does it say ELF 32-bit?

Thanks for reporting btw. Smile
Thanks for the fast reply Smile
Oops, your're right it's the other way around: I'm using 32-Bit and it's a 64 Bit file:
ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=eeefbfd1a3ff4d8d4902e61725cc9ea9e61659c0, not stripped
Yes I've used the linuxwhatelse repo.
(2015-11-12, 16:01)TheNinja Wrote: Thanks for the fast reply Smile
Oops, your're right it's the other way around: I'm using 32-Bit and it's a 64 Bit file:
ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=eeefbfd1a3ff4d8d4902e61725cc9ea9e61659c0, not stripped

Sure, no problem Smile

Hm... thought I could quickly build a 32-bit version but I can't get soil as 32-bit installed on my archlinux.
This will have to wait a little longer...

At least until I'm back home. Sorry :/
(2015-11-12, 16:01)TheNinja Wrote: Thanks for the fast reply Smile

Okay, I kinda fail building a 32-bit version :/

Would you mind trying to build it yourself? I have a simple bash script which you can use to build it.

A quick step-by-step guide:
  1. Code:
    sudo apt-get install git cmake
  2. Code:
    git clone https://github.com/linuxwhatelse/visualization.pictureit ~/Downloads/visualization.pictureit
  3. Code:
    cd ~/Downloads/visualization.pictureit
  4. Add the source below to a file e.g. build.sh and give it executable rights
    Code:
    chmod u+x build.sh
  5. Run the script
    Code:
    ./build.sh --zip
    Alternatively you can use --deploy, this will copy the build version strait to ~/.kodi/addons/
  6. If no errors occurred, you should have ~/Downloads/visualization.pictureit/build/visualization.pictureit.zip which you can use with kodi

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for the help Smile

Code:
#!/bin/bash

mkdir -p "$(dirname $0)"/build
cd "$(dirname $0)"/build

cmake ../
make

# If make was successful we zip us a new addon
if [ $? ]; then
    cp -r ../visualization.pictureit .
    cp ../LICENSE.txt ../README.md ./visualization.pictureit.so ./visualization.pictureit/

if [ -a visualization.pictureit.zip ]; then
        rm ./visualization.pictureit.zip
    fi

for i in "$@"; do
        case $i in
            -z|--zip)
                echo "Creating new zip-archive..."
                zip -r ./visualization.pictureit.zip ./visualization.pictureit/
                shift
                ;;
            -d|--deploy)
                echo "Deploying locally..."