Mysql or emby server on unraid server for centralized db
(2015-09-02, 10:47)Skank Wrote: I'm having troubles with building db in emby
I think having all nfo files and jpg files in my movie folders might cause it

what did you do?
Remove everything , including nfo files before building library in emby?

I had no nfos in my folders. Emby reads the standard Kodi format though, so I wouldn't think those would cause an issue. Could always try moving them and see if that fixes things though.
(2015-08-28, 00:29)angelblue05 Wrote: We already mentioned we'd put a list together for what's missing. However I will say right now, the biggest problem we faced is how slow json-rpc performs because we can't process items in bulk. One json rpc query is one commit to the database, right?

When it takes 4 hours to import a medium sized library and takes only 4 mins for the same library to process with direct database writing, we opted for the faster way for the time being.

We still hope someday we can make it with json rpc, but the first step towards improving would be to allow for bulk processing in one transaction.

was this tested with batched requests or without?
(2015-08-28, 04:00)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-08-27, 21:27)jjd-uk Wrote: From what I understand those rules are there for the very good reason that add-ons in the official repo should not be capable of corrupting the core databases hence JSON RPC must be used.

I'm skeptical that there was any evidence or actual risk of this happening. It's more likely that it was summarily dismissed. I have a lot of respect for our guys who handle repo submissions, but this wouldn't be the first time something was waved off without any real review, and attempts to appeal the decision are flat out rejected with even less review (as if it was a personal insult to ask for an exception).

Alright, time for me to put my foot in my mouth. I have been assuming this was the same as the older Media Browser add-on, and I see that the new rewritten Emby add-on directly imports/writes to the local library DB (and without warning). That's obviously bad.

I shall now eat my hat and apologize to our repo maintainers.
It's so bad its good though Big Grin
After using the built-in UPNP sharing for years, and never completely happy with it, I installed the Emby server and the Emby add-on in all my Kodi installations (PCs and Rasberry PIIs). I am very happy with this setup. Now all changes to the library, like replacing a movie file with an updated version of it, correctly show up on all of my Kodis (no more multiple selections of the same movie, half of which are not really there). Also if a movie is incorrectly identified, fix it once in the Emby server. Simple to install. This will also transcode on the fly, which is great for my DLNA tvs that don't support many codecs (like my Vizios). And it has apps for many types of devices, and you can access your library from anywhere, and share it with others over the Internet. Very, very, cool. And still have the Kodi front-end for smooth playback and great user interface. Best of both worlds.
I just stumbled onto this thread and found it an interesting read.

I was surprised that nobody mentioned Montellese's Media Import Branch. It is a more generic approach for what the Emby Server + Emby Kodi Plugin does. I am aware that it is not "ready for prime time", but if this is the way of the future and I think it is. Maybe we should be suggesting this route for emby, and for their developers to submit PRs to strengthen this branch. In My Humble Opinion, the biggest win of this approach is that it would allow to use both an Emby and Kodi backends while weaknesses in each are being strengthened and even after that.

I understand and agree with the position about writing direct to the database. It should be noted that in the Emby setup the risk is different because the data is still on the server and so data would not be lost due to corruption because the kodi database could be reset and the info retrieved from the server. So in that case I agree with xnappo, "It's so bad its good though."

I have been testing both the Media Import functionality and the Emby setup and I like them both. There is a lot to like about Emby Server, for me, chief among them is the Web enabled server, users and media management functionalities. I am not sure if we are all aware that the media Import test builds sees Emby Server, and imports from it. The problem is that it imports all entries as movies. Even the TV episodes and Music Videos. Montellese mentions here that These UPnP Servers (media providers), in which Emby is included, needs to implement a feature which allows this distinction.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2082991

Have the Emby Devs considered this?
Would this approach still have the limitations of which they speak?

Remember, if Kodi media import functions can distinguish among the different media types, there would be no need for an Emby plugin. So their help in this branch does not only help emby server adoption by Kodi users, it will help Kodi in general as well. That's my understanding, let me know if I am wrong..
Sounds like it is being looked into for a long-term solution: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238246
I also trialled Emby and it's great at what it does but unfortunately their addon doesn't allow for syncing of the watched and resume status for the more 300 other legal Kodi video addons that are available.

And the way Emby uses the kodi video database seems to prevent MySQL being used to do this. It's a pity.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2015-09-10, 17:33)LongMan Wrote: Have the Emby Devs considered this?
Would this approach still have the limitations of which they speak?

Remember, if Kodi media import functions can distinguish among the different media types, there would be no need for an Emby plugin. So their help in this branch does not only help emby server adoption by Kodi users, it will help Kodi in general as well. That's my understanding, let me know if I am wrong..

While there are complementary ideas, they don't *quite* just fit together technically - but I am confident we will get there in time.
I decided to give emby a try. It is indeed easy to install and configure. However ( and there is always a however in life) it does not display my movie collections (sets) properly. I use nfo files on an unRAID server built by exporting single files from KODI. While KODI uses the value /set in the nfo file emby uses a numeric value from TheMovieDb. Emby makes it very easy to create collections but as I have over 1000 movies and over 100 sets in my collection I do not want to invest the man-hours to convert. I'll keep my eye on emby but continue to use MySQL for the time being.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mysql or emby server on unraid server for centralized db0