New mirror in Singapore
Hello guys,
I'm the admin of the Opensource mirror.freedif.org
We host projects like VLC, KDE, LinuxMint and many more, to serve Asia mostly (But no restriction)

As it seems Asia might be less covered in term of mirroring and we have done a major upgrade on both Hardware and Networking, we would be pleased to support Kodi

URL: https://mirror.freedif.org/kodi/ or http://mirror.freedif.org/kodi/
RSYNC: rsync://mirror.freedif.org/kodi/ (For others, or if you want to ensure it is up to date, beside the timestamp.
Source: rsync://rsync.gtlib.gatech.edu/xbmc/ (The Europe one, heanet, was not accessible by the way) - hourly
Bandwidth: 10GBPS
Admin: Kari - [email protected]

@wsnipex or @yol you might be the right person to help?

Let me know if you require any additional information

Thank you
Kari

Thank you
Hi karibu,

thanks for setting this up and offering to mirror for us.
Before we add this mirror into the rotation, can you give us some details on the freedif organization? Unfortunately, freedif.org only gives an apache default install site on HTTP. We need information like a public web page of the organization containing an official street address plus legal representative name and a rough number of members/employees. Thanks!
I'm not sure what happened to the heanet rsync. They still claim to run it, but I'm also getting a "Connection refused"... Will check again in a few days.
Hello Yol,

We have just migrated the server and the root domain was used to host a blog on OpenSource project but we have decided to decommission it and have not set up anything yet. We are working on it.
I've updated our Policy here: https://github.com/karibuTW/Freedif-Mirr...olicySG.md and add the official address.

I had the same discussion with Blender that want to work with institutions usually but as the connectivity was low in Asia and our track record very good (You can see the list of all projects we officially support here: mirror.freedif.org, with some large project like VLC, KDE, LinuxMint, Blender, GIMP, TDF-Libre office,...), they have accepted to work with more simple organization, also to balance their infra setup.

We are a group of 4 handling mirror infrastructure and have our server room in 6 Lim Ah Pin Road, Singapore.
I can further document it or create official web page to support it, as long as it is of course aligned with your requirement and governance.

Thank you
Thanks for clarifying. Am I assuming correctly that you do not have a registered legal entity at the moment? Who is owning the server room?

Note that I'm still gathering information here so that we can have an internal discussion - we currently don't have a policy that is "set in stone" for non-institutional mirrors.
It is correct, no legal entity. Only individuals. I'm owning the hardware.
I don't mind sharing additional information in private if this help for non-institutional mirrors.

Then on the administration part, i can provided RSYNC or SSH access for easy monitoring of the sync of the mirrors and proper SLA like what we do with others projects, including statistics. Example: https://mirror.freedif.org/Stats/Gimp.html

Don't hesitate
I think that is sufficient information to discuss in the team, thank you! We'll be having our DevCon this weekend, so I hope I have something to report after that.
On another note - rsync.heanet.ie is back for me, can you double-check?
Hi, we've talked about this in the team and made the decision that we will only accept institutions and organizations that are a) legal entities and b) exceed a certain number of members/employees in their countries of residence. What other projects have already accepted a mirror is not really of interest to us, since everyone is free to make their own choices based on the conditions and risks that each individual project considers. Consequentially, I unfortunately have to tell you that we will not add you into our mirror rotation at this time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New mirror in Singapore0