v15 Text entry dialog causes high CPU temperatures in Full Screen mode
(2015-09-02, 07:15)fritsch Wrote: I think you need to look how OpenGL works ... what swapbuffers is and that dirty Region is all we can do.

Reduce your refreshrate to 24hz, but from the looks you have a serious fan issue. Return the box and never try to play an OpenGL game ... This is what kodi is after all.

From what you describe even glxgears would kill your machine and this is also vblanked.

That said: if vblank is working, see the fps in debug overlay, nothing we can do for you.

glxgears in full screen window, temperature remains at idle and the CPU fan at minimum speed. Much less than Kodi playing a video let alone the blinking cursor or the scrolling text cpu/gpu high burn. glxgear reports 60fps. The box doesn't seem to feel glxgear running in any noticeable way. So that assertion regarding the box would appear to be incorrect.

What I noticed is that the dirty regions extend beyond the text dialog box into rest of screen if I just move from one key to another on the text dialog box (each of which is a button control). This is unlike controls in other areas, like for example the left slide out panel, where moving down the controls makes just that before and after controls dirty. I would expect the same from the keyboard dialog box as well. And why the blinking cursor that continuously and wastefully renders the text entry area would be necessary. Just pointing out things if it helps the team in investigating a problem in the design or implementation or providing options to manage it.

These observations would seem to suggest a problem with text entry dialog rendering rather than it be an unavoidable side-effect.

But if the Kodi team truly feels this is unavoidable, so be it even if I remain unconvinced in my ignorance. I am not an expert in these technologies.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Text entry dialog causes high CPU temperatures in Full Screen mode - by Common Man - 2015-09-02, 09:49
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Text entry dialog causes high CPU temperatures in Full Screen mode0