Linux Kodibuntu - black screen after TV has been off for awhile. Hitting multiple dead ends
So I've hit an issue I can't seem to resolve on my own. I've been googling like mad but cant seem to get it licked. I'm also not very proficient in Linux, which isn't helping things.

Setup: Intel NUC DC3217BY runnng Kodibuntu 15.1
A/V Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
TV: Samsung UN60D8000

Issue: I leave the media center on 24/7, and turn off the receiver and tv when not in use. When turning back on after X amount of time (typically overnight), there is no picture displayed. The box is still running, as I can SSH in. It appears to be an HDMI handshake issue. Rebooting the box restores the picture.

Troubleshooting: I have attempted two different paths to resolution.
1) Stop the behavior outright. It appears the the problem is caused by the EDID being dropped. There should be a way to statically define the EDID to resolve the issue. The problem that I've ran into is that my box does not have an xorg.conf file to edit. Without xorg, I cant statically set the EDID, and I'm stuck.

2) Start turning the box off with the TV and receiver, that way when everything turns on theres a fresh round of HDMI handshakes going on. The problem here is that the box doesnt resume from standby from USB IR. It will resume from a keyboard though. It seems the USB IR receiver isnt receiving power when the machine is in standby, as I cannot see the light inside responding to any IR signals. Apparently to enable wake from usb ir you can enable the usb ports in /proc/acpi/wakeup. The problem I'm having here is that when I run the commands to enable the usb, they dont seem to take. IE, I run sudo sh -c 'echo "USB1" > /proc/acpi/wakeup' but then when i check it with cat /proc/acpi/wakeup it still shows the usb disabled.

Help!
(2015-09-02, 05:17)SickIcarus Wrote: So I've hit an issue I can't seem to resolve on my own. I've been googling like mad but cant seem to get it licked. I'm also not very proficient in Linux, which isn't helping things.

Setup: Intel NUC DC3217BY runnng Kodibuntu 15.1
A/V Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
TV: Samsung UN60D8000

Issue: I leave the media center on 24/7, and turn off the receiver and tv when not in use. When turning back on after X amount of time (typically overnight), there is no picture displayed. The box is still running, as I can SSH in. It appears to be an HDMI handshake issue. Rebooting the box restores the picture.

Troubleshooting: I have attempted two different paths to resolution.
1) Stop the behavior outright. It appears the the problem is caused by the EDID being dropped. There should be a way to statically define the EDID to resolve the issue. The problem that I've ran into is that my box does not have an xorg.conf file to edit. Without xorg, I cant statically set the EDID, and I'm stuck.

2) Start turning the box off with the TV and receiver, that way when everything turns on theres a fresh round of HDMI handshakes going on. The problem here is that the box doesnt resume from standby from USB IR. It will resume from a keyboard though. It seems the USB IR receiver isnt receiving power when the machine is in standby, as I cannot see the light inside responding to any IR signals. Apparently to enable wake from usb ir you can enable the usb ports in /proc/acpi/wakeup. The problem I'm having here is that when I run the commands to enable the usb, they dont seem to take. IE, I run sudo sh -c 'echo "USB1" > /proc/acpi/wakeup' but then when i check it with cat /proc/acpi/wakeup it still shows the usb disabled.

Help!
Use the forum search, please. Search for drm_kms_helper I have answered this ~5 times last month.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodibuntu - black screen after TV has been off for awhile. Hitting multiple dead ends0