• 6(current)
current state and vision
Any thoughts on changing the coding that allowa external players?

I ask because I am going to test the newest Opera build that has built in VPN. My VPN-enabled KODI is a bit of a kludge and not at all elegant.

I want to make sure that anything I build for Jarvis will be compatible with v17 onward.
(2016-04-21, 21:42)TheMonkeyKing Wrote: Any thoughts on changing the coding that allowa external players?

I ask because I am going to test the newest Opera build that has built in VPN. My VPN-enabled KODI is a bit of a kludge and not at all elegant.

I want to make sure that anything I build for Jarvis will be compatible with v17 onward.

Every VideoPlayer related code you build for Jarvis is very likely to break with v17 onward.
Hi FernetMenta,

Just reread the very first post in this thread and was wondering what the "current" state actually is now, i.e. ~6 months later? Would you mind sharing what the team has achieved in the meantime and how far away you are from your actual goal? Just curious...

Thanks and best,

M4tt0
This is a transformation of existing components and we need to take care not to break existing things. At least not when it can be avoided. In regard to function and stability v17 is already a big step forward.
In regard to what I have written in post #1 of this thread there is still a long way to go. Splitting the render from the main thread is the most important next milestone: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=240870
I believe merging the Videoplayer Updates commit last night has been a major milestone towards your vision and mission. Would you mind sharing where you are now, what has been achieved and where the team is going from here? Still just curious... ;-)
We were trying some concepts to cut dependencies to platform specific code and features. Seems the API how platforms can extend VideoPlayer stabilizes. With merge of vpupdates we allow platforms to register components into VP. Those are:

- hardware decoders
- hardware related video buffers like dma
- renderers that can handle thos video buffers
- a controller component that defines how VP behaves in different situations

Polling by the UI is continuously reduced.

Next major milestons are cutting dependencies to PVR and GUI.
Sounds like a huge step forward. Thanks for the update and the work you and the team did to improve video player.
Latest news about AudioDSP and my libraries is available on Twitter.

Developers can follow me on Github.
Agreed, especially as most of these "under-the-hood" changes are so fundamental for future features and functionality but will likely not be noticed by the vast majority of users. My sincere thanks FernetMenta and team! Outstanding effort for an outstanding project!
Thanks for those kind words
(2017-07-14, 15:48)FernetMenta Wrote: Next major milestons are cutting dependencies to PVR and GUI.

Always great work as usual, In terms of the dependencies of those two moving away from Video Player, What sort of benefits would be seen? Or are they more to do with just being more easily managed
(2017-07-16, 19:37)freddy12 Wrote:
(2017-07-14, 15:48)FernetMenta Wrote: Next major milestons are cutting dependencies to PVR and GUI.

Always great work as usual, In terms of the dependencies of those two moving away from Video Player, What sort of benefits would be seen? Or are they more to do with just being more easily managed

With those dependencies there can only be one instance of VideoPlayer bacause GUI and PVR are singletons. The goal is to enable VideoPlayer for multiple instances, even without GUI. That will bring features like picture-in-picture or headless Kodi where VideoPlayer can be used for transcoding on the fly.
(2017-07-16, 19:55)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2017-07-16, 19:37)freddy12 Wrote:

With those dependencies there can only be one instance of VideoPlayer bacause GUI and PVR are singletons. The goal is to enable VideoPlayer for multiple instances, even without GUI. That will bring features like picture-in-picture or headless Kodi where VideoPlayer can be used for transcoding on the fly.

Great, Thanks for taking the time to explain . Always interested in the progress
(2017-07-14, 15:48)FernetMenta Wrote: We were trying some concepts to cut dependencies to platform specific code and features. Seems the API how platforms can extend VideoPlayer stabilizes. With merge of vpupdates we allow platforms to register components into VP. Those are:

- hardware decoders
- hardware related video buffers like dma
- renderers that can handle thos video buffers
- a controller component that defines how VP behaves in different situations

Polling by the UI is continuously reduced.

Next major milestons are cutting dependencies to PVR and GUI.
(2017-07-16, 19:55)FernetMenta Wrote: With those dependencies there can only be one instance of VideoPlayer bacause GUI and PVR are singletons. The goal is to enable VideoPlayer for multiple instances, even without GUI. That will bring features like picture-in-picture or headless Kodi where VideoPlayer can be used for transcoding on the fly.

Congrats! Can I suggest that the team maybe post a summery blog article for kodi.tv news page on all these behind-the-scenes updates for Kodi's Video Player core?

As others noted, we who are aware are very thankfull for these new core features and functions, both those already in mainline and the upcoming ones, but for most users they are 'hidden'.

I think that it would be of great interest to a lot of Kodi fans if they get to know more about inner working of Kodi's core features (instead of only hearing about addon this and that).

Hidded or not, these are part the core features which really makes Kodi awesome!
Another question on the future of video player, With the removal of PVR code, Will the PVR see any improvements stability ect or will it remain about the same now?
(2017-07-23, 14:01)freddy12 Wrote: Another question on the future of video player, With the removal of PVR code, Will the PVR see any improvements stability ect or will it remain about the same now?

As mentioned above, by splitting the streaming part from the PVR API some limitations caused by the singleton pattern get removed. This will enable features like pic-in-pic or thumbnail extraction for PVR. PVR addons can lavarage existing compoments like inputstream addons.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
current state and vision1