• 7(current)
current state and vision
Hello

I wanted to suggest that if you can make the video player display all of the subtitles available for the movie in the subtitle dialog box, I used paint to give you two example of my suggestion please consider.

Example 1

Example 2   (On this example the word Toggle can be removed and you can leave only the word "Language" because it will be obvious)

(2018-02-16, 20:53)abescalamis Wrote: Hello

I wanted to suggest that if you can make the video player display all of the subtitles available for the movie in the subtitle dialog box, I used paint to give you two example of my suggestion please consider.

Example 1

Example 2   (On this example the word Toggle can be removed and you can leave only the word "Language" because it will be obvious)

You posted the request in the wrong section of the forum. Videoplayer does expose all languages available. It's up the the gui devs and skinners to present the info to the user in a proper format.
(2018-02-17, 10:16)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2018-02-16, 20:53)abescalamis Wrote: Hello

Example 1

You posted the request in the wrong section of the forum. Videoplayer does expose all languages available. It's up the the gui devs and skinners to present the info to the user in a proper format. 
Where ? 

This info are not present for VideoPlayer in Infolabels wiki : InfoLabels (wiki)

There is only : VideoPlayer.SubtitlesLanguage -> Shows the language of the subtitle of the currently playing video (possible values: see ListItem.SubtitlesLanguage)
 Estuary MOD V2 
read again, "it's up to the GUI devs and skinners". So while VP is providing this information in general, the GUI part isn't processing/forwarding it for skins.
(2018-02-18, 10:35)da-anda Wrote: read again, "it's up to the GUI devs and skinners". So while VP is providing this information in general, the GUI part isn't processing/forwarding it for skins.

If my understanding is correct, you mean that I should forward this to the GUI devs, because I been told by the skin developers that they cannot do it.

Thank you, I already forward it to the right place.
(2017-07-14, 15:48)FernetMenta Wrote: We were trying some concepts to cut dependencies to platform specific code and features. Seems the API how platforms can extend VideoPlayer stabilizes. With merge of vpupdates we allow platforms to register components into VP. Those are:

- hardware decoders
- hardware related video buffers like dma
- renderers that can handle thos video buffers
- a controller component that defines how VP behaves in different situations

Polling by the UI is continuously reduced.

Next major milestons are cutting dependencies to PVR and GUI.
Hi @FernetMenta - I've been debugging some buffering issues with 1080p Live TV using the MythTV PVR addon.  I've discovered that the buffering issues start immediately after this merge, build #0710.  Now that I've isolated the build that breaks 1080p, can you recommend what the fix would be?  Does the MythTV PVR addon need to be tweaked to account for these changes to video buffering?

For reference, I've tested that 1080p works in build #0710 if I use the NextPVR addon instead. Also, 1080p works in build #0709 with the MythTV PVR addon.  I've been trying to debug this issue with @janbar (author of the mythtv addon) over here, but he seems to think it's Kodi related.  Can you help shed some light on this?
Those build numbers mean absolutely nothing for us.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-02-21, 22:32)Martijn Wrote: Those build numbers mean absolutely nothing for us.
 Fair enough, sorry for the confusion.

I've been using the Milhouse X86_64 test builds - I've determined that the stuttering issue begins in between builds #0709 (works) and #0710 (doesn't work).

Build #0710 references this pull request (PR:12212, 98 commits, 203 files changed), which merged in these updates to VideoPlayer, related to buffering.

I'm trying to determine if this merge may have broken the MythTV addon, with regards to support for 1080p.

Edit: I've now discovered that the issue is specific to MPEG-2 streams, both 720p and 1080p, but not H.264.  I assume this is because more data/buffering is required for MPEG-2, and this is no longer being done properly since this build.

Can anyone please help?
There are no issues with pvr addon vnsi (reference for streaming). I am also not aware of issues reported for tv headend. If NextPVR works too, my guess is a MythTV related issue.

This thread "current state and vision" is for sure not the right place to report problems like this.
With the latest nightlies the option Audio and subtitles settings when you play a video and choose settings is not there anymore, it's only audio settings. It's something permanent or it's a bug?
NVIDIA Shield TV,SPMC
The subtitle settings have their own menu now if you’re wondering where they have gone.

Thus the existing Audio and subtitles settings has been renamed as it no longer contains any subtitle settings.
@FernetMenta As it seems you have retired, first of all, a big, big thanks for all of you've done. I'm not a developer by any means, but I've seen you providing vision, a tremendous amount of direction and, first and foremost, an endless amount of value to this project in the last couple of years. I've seen you taking "inconvenient" positions, "biting the bullets", pushing decisions and solving some of the more difficult challenges. This doesn't always foster friendships, is not easy and can polarize, but is instrumental in turning something good into something great. I have a lot of respect for this. So again, my sincere thanks for all you've done. And whatever you are going to do in your gained "free" time, I wish you nothing else than the very best!!!

Now, I fully understand that Kodi is the result of a big community of contributors who share a common passion. Having worked in hierarchical and  streamlined business structures, I've kept being attracted to and fascinated by the beauty of open-source, exactly because it creates an environment where everybody can contribute, step up and advance a project for "the greater good". I'd like my questions to be understood in that spirit: Is there a vision beyond Fernet's vision? What is it? And who is going to drive it now?
More than three years ago, madshi (madVR developer, probably the best video renderer available for Windows currently) asked:
(2015-11-26, 11:52)madshi Wrote: To get back on topic: Would it make sense to split the video renderer (not the decoders or splitters, nor the GUI renderer, just the video renderer) into a separate binary (e.g. DLL in Windows) with a clean interface? I suppose for the other platforms it probably wouldn't bring much benefit? For Windows it might allow to use alternative external renderers (like mine) without having to fork Kodi at all. But if it's not useful for the other Platforms, it probably doesn't make too much sense?

To which fritsch replied:
(2015-11-26, 11:57)fritsch Wrote: As we are on the way with binary addons and other stuff as well - this is certainly an option. There are even some linux folks arround that want a gstreamer rendering :-) (no kidding). The interface dvdplayer VideoPlayer delivers is clean and stable since years. See: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/tree...oRenderers which is the current rework for version 17 of the player.
Considering the DSPlayer Kodi fork is currently dead, I was wondering if the current architecture would allow for a madVR binary addon to switch videorenderer. Did it ever reach that point?
Just discovered about FernetMenta retiring from development, I wish to thank him for everything he's contributed to Kodi. Even if in the past we haven't always seen eye to eye (as this discussion testimonies), his dedication to Kodi is undeniable and much appreciated.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2019-03-16, 00:13)M4tt0 Wrote: @FernetMenta As it seems you have retired, first of all, a big, big thanks for all of you've done. I'm not a developer by any means, but I've seen you providing vision, a tremendous amount of direction and, first and foremost, an endless amount of value to this project in the last couple of years. I've seen you taking "inconvenient" positions, "biting the bullets", pushing decisions and solving some of the more difficult challenges. This doesn't always foster friendships, is not easy and can polarize, but is instrumental in turning something good into something great. I have a lot of respect for this. So again, my sincere thanks for all you've done. And whatever you are going to do in your gained "free" time, I wish you nothing else than the very best!!!

Now, I fully understand that Kodi is the result of a big community of contributors who share a common passion. Having worked in hierarchical and  streamlined business structures, I've kept being attracted to and fascinated by the beauty of open-source, exactly because it creates an environment where everybody can contribute, step up and advance a project for "the greater good". I'd like my questions to be understood in that spirit: Is there a vision beyond Fernet's vision? What is it? And who is going to drive it now?

good words and good questions! thanks for all the work you have done, fernetmenta!
(2019-03-19, 19:48)ashlar Wrote: More than three years ago, madshi (madVR developer, probably the best video renderer available for Windows currently) asked:
(2015-11-26, 11:52)madshi Wrote: To get back on topic: Would it make sense to split the video renderer (not the decoders or splitters, nor the GUI renderer, just the video renderer) into a separate binary (e.g. DLL in Windows) with a clean interface? I suppose for the other platforms it probably wouldn't bring much benefit? For Windows it might allow to use alternative external renderers (like mine) without having to fork Kodi at all. But if it's not useful for the other Platforms, it probably doesn't make too much sense?

To which fritsch replied:
(2015-11-26, 11:57)fritsch Wrote: As we are on the way with binary addons and other stuff as well - this is certainly an option. There are even some linux folks arround that want a gstreamer rendering :-) (no kidding). The interface dvdplayer VideoPlayer delivers is clean and stable since years. See: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/tree...oRenderers which is the current rework for version 17 of the player.
Considering the DSPlayer Kodi fork is currently dead, I was wondering if the current architecture would allow for a madVR binary addon to switch videorenderer. Did it ever reach that point?
Just discovered about FernetMenta retiring from development, I wish to thank him for everything he's contributed to Kodi. Even if in the past we haven't always seen eye to eye (as this discussion testimonies), his dedication to Kodi is undeniable and much appreciated. 

Man, I'd also like to hear some news about this. I'd love to see some platform dependent work being done for the standard VideoPlayer. The Kodi OSD is just too good to pass up for external video players. I don't know enough about the binary add-ons to really speak about what they are capable of. But I imagine wanting to use MadVR would require a lot of work on VideoPlayer if wanting to use LAV filters and all that too.. It's prolly not a small feat. I know the previous stance on these things from Team Kodi, but it'd be nice with some sort of update if any of this would actually be possible through an add-on that wouldn't "touch" the "one size fits all" mantra you [Team Kodi] are going by with Kodi - which is understandable. Anything in the pipeline? Any new possibilities? Anything? Even if it's still just "No."

I'll say thank you for the great software but also that I'm still very much dependent on the DSplayer release of 17 so much that I don't move to 18. It's a gift and a curse that the DSplayer gives me a substantially better image than the stock player. I love your work but I wish you'd also give us an option to go a more quality minded road with our media playback if we desired. After all, I'd say that that's also a, if not the, biggest part of media consumption.

I get it though - I'm not trying to step on any toes here. I'm just saying what I'm thinking. I hope you [Team Kodi], won't take it as an insult - cause I very much love your software. I just wish the player would leverage more options from the open market - even if platform dependent. Caring about it being open or closed source doesn't seem like a huge deal if you don't have to "implement" them yourself but leave em as an external option once they are installed onto a system.

So - What's the "state and vision" on this?
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
current state and vision1