Linux Video listing with cover
Hi, I am using Kodi on linuxmint.

All my videos have a cover image in jpg.
e.g. Movies123.mp4 will have a Movies123.jpg in the same directory.

Question:
1) is there any way in video listing, show the Movies123.jpg , and when I click it, it will play Movies123.mp4?
Then it will just like netflix clicking DVD cover and show that DVD.

If currently not possible to do it, will Kodi team consider this features?

Thanks.Laugh
It's possible.....just change the skin to "AeonKnox" for example and for the library view select "Showcase". Then you will get a cover view in your library and if you select one of those "covers" the movie should be played.
Thanks, I tried kodi 15 and 16 alpha, both said installation failed AeonKnox. I even delete all .kodi setting and reinstall, same problems.
This might be the most confused I have ever been by a question on here.

Are you serious? You just pretty much described what Kodi is. It doesn't matter what theme you use, go to the cover view, and if you don't like the covers scraped, change them manually.
OK. let me rephrase the question:

1) I have thousands of videos , say abc1.mp4, hello2.mp4, dumb.mp4............. all filename are different. Only extension is the same.
For each videos, I grab coverart manually from google and save it as jpg format. So, for video abc1.mp4, there is abc1.jpg in the same directory.
All these thousands of videos and its cover art .jpg and scattered in different HDD and directories.
/media/Movies1/stupid1.mp4 stupid1.jpg
/media/Movies10/hello1.mp4 hello1.jpg

2) What I did is I wrote a perl script which will automatically generate a html file. It only show all the cover art image e.g. stupid1.jpg, hello1.jpg, and <a href= will the that video stupid1.mp4, ....> so when I click on any of those image, it will play that video.

<clarification: say I have 1000 videos, the html will show a table of 10 columns x 100 rows of fixed-size images and each image point link to a video>

3) My question is can we do that in Kodi? and how?

4) then one person reply telling me that Aeon skin can do that.

5) I tried to install that skin, but installation fail in several attempts;

a) fresh install; apt-get purge kodi* and then remove any .kodi directory. apt-get install kodi stuff and try to add that skin -> failed in Kodi 15.
b) same as above but use Kodi 16 alpha.

Clear?
(2015-09-09, 12:38)mwang141 Wrote: OK. let me rephrase the question:

1) I have thousands of videos , say abc1.mp4, hello2.mp4, dumb.mp4............. all filename are different. Only extension is the same.
For each videos, I grab coverart manually from google and save it as jpg format. So, for video abc1.mp4, there is abc1.jpg in the same directory.
All these thousands of videos and its cover art .jpg and scattered in different HDD and directories.
/media/Movies1/stupid1.mp4 stupid1.jpg
/media/Movies10/hello1.mp4 hello1.jpg

2) What I did is I wrote a perl script which will automatically generate a html file. It only show all the cover art image e.g. stupid1.jpg, hello1.jpg, and <a href= will the that video stupid1.mp4, ....> so when I click on any of those image, it will play that video.

<clarification: say I have 1000 videos, the html will show a table of 10 columns x 100 rows of fixed-size images and each image point link to a video>

3) My question is can we do that in Kodi? and how?

4) then one person reply telling me that Aeon skin can do that.

5) I tried to install that skin, but installation fail in several attempts;

a) fresh install; apt-get purge kodi* and then remove any .kodi directory. apt-get install kodi stuff and try to add that skin -> failed in Kodi 15.
b) same as above but use Kodi 16 alpha.

Clear?

So let me see if I understand you correctly. You wrote a script which opens up a web page, and on the web page are thousands of images which are also links, and when you click on each individual link, a program such as vlc opens up and plays your video, movie or whatever.

You're asking if you can do this in Kodi. This is exactly what Kodi is though. Add all those videos to the library, scrape them, and now you have artwork for everything that you can view in many different views, not just 10x10 columns how you have it.

If you're asking if you can incorporate the very same script into Kodi so that you don't have to scrape your videos and it will use your existing saved artwork, i know there's a way to do that with nfo files, i don't know about with a script though. But again, it would be easier to just scrape them all in.

If none of that is what you're asking then I am truly confused.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video listing with cover0