Song Name Format
Hi

I have been googling this question and keep coming up with different answers..

Can someone please tell me does a song featuring a second artist, get the featuring artist in the title of the song, or with the primary artist ?

eg...Jennifer Lopez - Dance Again (feat. Pitbull)
or
Jennifer Lopez (feat.Pitbull) - Dance Again

Please can someone tell me which one is the correct way ?

Thanks
I'm not sure that there's a right or wrong way, rather more about personal preference and what you're trying to achieve. Maybe if you tried to explain what you're having trouble with we could try to give more assistance.
Do you mean the file name? Since Kodi doesn't do anything with that it doesn't matter and its just your own preference.
If you mean the song title in the tag, Kodi does use that for information but again, the title is just that, the song title. If you use "Jennifer Lopez - Dance again (feat. Pitbull)" as the title than that's exactly what the song is called.

You can however use more than one artist tags to tell Kodi that the song should be filed under both artists in the library. I would set the primary artist as both "album artist" and "artist". With a duet, I add the 2nd artist also in another artist tag. For featuring artists I set a "performer" tag (using MusicBee) but it will probably not be scraped by Kodi. You could add it to the song name wich is how it is usually done.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
In Kodi 15 things work about like this:

If you enter this:
Dance Again (feat. Pitbull)
as the title, that is how it will be displayed as song title.
And if you enter this:
Jennifer Lopez
as song artist, then "Jennifer Lopez" will be displayed as the song artist and will also be included as an artist in the library (to search or filter on for example).

Instead, if you enter this:
Dance Again
as the title, then again that is what is displayed as song title.
Then entering this:
Jennifer Lopez (feat.Pitbull)
as song artist, then "Jennifer Lopez (feat.Pitbull)" is displayed as the song artist. In general I think the scrapers will pull out "Jennifer Lopez" as the primary artist and add it as a library artist, and won't do anything with "Pitbull".

If you want "Pitbull" also in the library as an artist it gets a bit complicated. Also if you use Musicbrainz Id tags to drive the scraping it can create duplicates depending on how you do it. There is work on some changes for Kodi 16 that is intended to allow "Jennifer Lopez (feat.Pitbull)" as song artist, and also allow adding both Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull to the artists in the library.

If you also use the "album artist" tag field, it adds a possible complication.

scott s.
Thank you for all your replies....I just thought there was a standard way of naming music.

Please can u tell me, when it comes to naming Music Videos do we need to include the Year ?

Thank u for all your help
The main reason for including the year in a video filename (and containing folder) is so that the scrapers can identify the correct file. For instance there may be loads of DVDs out there called 'The best of Elvis', so there's a better chance that the scapers will pin down the correct one if the publication year is in your filename. I really don't know how many people use scrapers for music vids, I've never had that much success with it to be honest.
So, once again - it ain't compulsory, but may be helpful for auto-scraping now or in the future.
Thank you WelshPaul

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Song Name Format0