Ext hard drive not being recognised
When I look at the newly imaged SD card in Disk Management in Windows , it shows as 3 partitions , 256MB, 32MB healthy (active,primary partition) and 6.93GB Unallocated , if that's any help.
Firstly you can't mess up your original card in win32diskimager unless you press 'write' while it's in your card reader.
Secondly the structure sounds right to me - when the pi boots the first time it should perform some trickery and extend the second (32MB) partition to fill the card.
Which build did you download?
I think it was openelec 5.0.8 (x86_64) Diskimage. From Openelc.tv
The newly imaged SD card file structure reads as follows :

EFI folder
Kernel
Libcom32.c32
Libutil.c32
Splash.png
Syslinux.cfg
System
Vesamenu.c32
(2015-09-05, 12:21)24pfreak Wrote: I think it was openelec 5.0.8 (x86_64) Diskimage. From Openelc.tv
That's for a pc - it won't work.
For a pi 2 you want either this (5.0.8) or this (5.95.4 beta).
Thank you so much for pointing out that oversight.

I have managed to image the corrupt SD card again , it works in the RPi2.

On RPi2 startup , it has taken me through the setup , I selected SSH, was that ok ? I note its for remote access.

Finally , I would like to know how to make a backup to an SD card of my original non-corrupted Openelec SD card which has all my settings ( including licences for VC1 and MPEG, I understand they will only work in the RPi2 they were registered with. )

I have an SD card reader as well as an inbuilt SD card slot on my PC. How do I copy the image from the established SD card in the card reader , to an new SD card in my PC slot , can it be done directly this way ?

Or do I have to copy to PC first then back to the card reader with a new card in it ?
Enabling ssh is generally good - it means you can connect via putty from your pc if you need to in the future.

You can't copy directly from one card to another with win32diskimager - I'm not aware of a program that does that, doesn't mean it's not out there of course.
Image your card in win32diskimager, save the image (eg on the desktop, doesn't matter where). Write that image back to the backup card (again in win32diskimager) and you're done. Just note that the card you write to has to be the same size as (or bigger than) the original.

Edit: Great that it's working - I'd image the card from the pi you're connecting the drive to as well though, and if it happens again try a powered hub.
Thanks again Trogggy.

You know I have been using my original RPi2 since March with an USB powered drive with no problem at all.

I bought a new Pi to use elsewhere. And I used it with a newly commissioned and formatted USB powered drive that used to be a Windows 7 boot drive , in an external enclosure . So the SD card became corrupted while using it with a newly purposed ext hard drive enclosure, that I was having trouble with and was the original reason I started this thread . Could be cooincidence but it is interesting.

I will try to backup the newly imaged SD card as you suggest once I have customised it to my settings .

That way if it happens again with that same hard drive I will not use that again for this , I think I will change the HDD enclosure to be on the (relatively) safer side.

I will have a crack at doing the SD card backups .
I have successfully done images of the OpenElec clean install , and 2 other images of the SD cards in both of my raspberry Pi's.

I do backups of my PC regularly as system images using Windows 7-embedded backup software so I see this safeguarding in a similar vessel , it makes sense.

Thanks once again Trogggy.
No probs. Glad to help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ext hard drive not being recognised0