Linux starting a gui in foreground
hi,

i want to decrypt some files on my htpc with a password and want to encrept them only with remote control. i can't find a addon to realize that. so i've installed encfs, 2 folders, one fpr the encrypted files and the other as mountpoint. i can mount the folder using ssh. i tested this on my laptop first, here i used this script

Code:
encfs -o allow_other ~/.foobar ~/foobar --extpass="zenity --entry --hide-text --text 'Please enter your password:' --title Password"

on my laptop i could set up that this window is allways on top. but on my laptop i'm runing kde and start kodi in kde. my htpc starts with kodi as desktop environment. here i can't adjust that the password window is allways on top because i can't see the window. when i close kodi and login in lubuntu desktop environment i can't start the script because of missing permissions. now i'm logged in as user kodi, but the user is member of the group htpc. the owner of the script is kodi but the group is kodi, not htpc.

what can i do to get this password window allways on top in front of the kodi window so that i can enter the password?
(2015-09-05, 13:17)bunter fisch Wrote: what can i do to get this password window allways on top in front of the kodi window so that i can enter the password?

use a window manager like Openbox or Fluxbox and start Kodi from their startup scripts
but then the window manager is running in background all the time?

why is the login done as kodi:htpc and not kodi:kodi? a can't find the group htpc with ssh.
I don't know anything about your startup scripts because you did npt provide any info. I am just saying that I consider it nonsense to run Kodi without a window manager. standalone mode should be terminated.
i have no startup script, i'm using kodibuntu. kodi starts automatically.

no idea how i can run a window in front of the kodi window?
Do you know the command 'chown'?
My do you need a gui to decrypt files?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Quote:Do you know the command 'chown'?

yes.

as i tried the script for the first time my mistake was that the script was not executable. this had nothing to do with the owner of the script, sorry for the confusion.

(2015-09-06, 04:22)nickr Wrote: My do you need a gui to decrypt files?

yes, that what i'm searching for. i had the hope that there is an addon, but i couldn't find anything.

my idea was to use encfs and zenity (or yad) that shows my a window where i can enter the password. the problem is, that the window isn't active. i can see it in front of kodi, but kodi is still active. on kodibuntu there isn't a window manager running in background (as i understand xbmc-standalone, kodi IS the windows manager).

can this be done with JSON-RPC API? i one need a simple window where i can enter the password? i'm not a programmer, so i don't understand the declaration here: http://kodi.wiki/view/JSON-RPC_API
Can you not do this over ssh?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
yes, but thats very awkward. starting my pc first, logging in to my htpc and decrypt the folder. my htpc is in the living room and the pc is one floor up.
Quote:I am just saying that I consider it nonsense to run Kodi without a window manager. standalone mode should be terminated.

i've tested it with lxde running in background and starting kodi in lxde-autostart. boot time is a little bit longer, but its runnig fine. lets say i want start xbmc-standalone back and not running lxde in background - how can i start xbmc-standalone after boot with autologin? it seems that the xbmc-standalone autostart is disabled after starting lxde once.
lxde is lots of overhead. why don't you use Openbox or Fluxbox? A command like this:

Code:
/usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/openbox-session -- :0 -nolisten tcp vt7

launches the WM without the need of a display or login manager.

again, xbmc-standalone is crap. an X11 application like Kodi is not supposed to run without a WM. Even OpenElec runs Kodi inside a WM.
Quote:lxde is lots of overhead. why don't you use Openbox or Fluxbox

because i've installed kodibuntu and lxde is the only window manager that's installed.

Quote:A command like this:
Code:
/usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/openbox-session -- :0 -nolisten tcp vt7
launches the WM without the need of a display or login manager.

but this is not the command to start kodi without windows manager on kodibuntu? this would work with openbox?

Quote:again, xbmc-standalone is crap. an X11 application like Kodi is not supposed to run without a WM.

maybe. but i've a running system at the moment and to get all running i've worked the last 2 weeks. i will not start at the beginning again.

for the normal things like watching videos kodibuntu works very good. the only thing is the password window that doesn't work.
You can always install another wm

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
starting a gui in foreground0