[HELP] Sync Kodi between multiple devices on differents networks
Hi Everybody,

I am trying to do a thing which doesn't seem to usual, as I couldn't find any exact info about this after some hours of search...

The Background: I have 3 devices running Kodi located in two different homes (Mine / Parents).

Each local Network has a Hard drive directly attached to the router. One is a WD MyCloud (which maybe could be helpful ?) The other one a "dumb" Intenso Harddrive.
At my Parents : Fire TV Stick & Raspberry Pi 2 with OSMC, an ASUS AC56U and the Intenso Hard Drive.
At my Appartment : Raspberry Pi 2 with OSMC, TP-LInk Archer C7 and the WD MyCloud.

The Goal: The perfect fit would be that all devices Sync their "read"-lists, the artwork, the settings etc...

IIt would be even greater if I could find a way to sync the content of both harddrives (atleast the Movie and Series folders), so that from the media Viewpoint, these two homes just fell like one and I can freely switch between the Kodi-Devices.

I have a website and could add a MySQL database to the rented server if this helps...
The primary objective is the syncing of Kodi, Harddrives is a later problem, just if sombody has an idea I am open for everything Smile

I am not a pro, but an enthusiast and am willing to learn fast if I understand everything.

I would be really happy if someone had an idea or could point me in the right direction Smile
http://emby.media/downloads/emby-for-kodi/
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2015-09-08, 11:35)bry- Wrote: http://emby.media/downloads/emby-for-kodi/

Thanks for your answer, but doesn't this overwrite Kodi ?
I don't really get it. I searched for a while now, but is it a Kodi-Add-on or a distinct software ?
Is there a need for a distinct server ? Could I install this on the WD MyCloud ?

I am quite lost with this one Confused Sorry...
There currently isn't an Emby server plug-in for WD My Cloud. I confirmed this yesterday (I have a MyCloud Mirror and am interested in it too). It's on the "wish list", but doesn't currently exist.

Emby is a shareable database manager for Kodi, which can be used to manage your media and allow it to be accessed by multiple devices in multiple locations, all with shared information and watched statuses etc. More about it on their website - here.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2015-09-08, 14:12)DarrenHill Wrote: There currently isn't an Emby server plug-in for WD My Cloud. I confirmed this yesterday (I have a MyCloud Mirror and am interested in it too). It's on the "wish list", but doesn't currently exist.

Emby is a shareable database manager for Kodi, which can be used to manage your media and allow it to be accessed by multiple devices in multiple locations, all with shared information and watched statuses etc. More about it on their website - here.

In the meantime I read your post Smile
It's a shame... I can't really do a thing right now then Sad Isn't there another solution ? Maybe a script / plugin ?
Thanks for your answer Smile
The MyCloud should be able to host a MySQL database (I have one on my MyCloud Mirror for my Kodi installations, set up using phpMyAdmin), but the difficulty is going to be getting your remote devices to link to it and talk to it reliably. I know you can remote access media using Webdav, so it may be possible to access the MySQL in a similar fashion perhaps which would be a way to go.

I don't know if it's possible to do, but it may be something to consider/research perhaps?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I already tried... It's really difficult to find some instruction about an "online" connection through a MySQL database as everybody just speaks about conecting them at home, through their home router...
I will try to continue my search. But in the meantime, every information is welcome Smile
(2015-09-08, 12:58)ChriKn Wrote:
(2015-09-08, 11:35)bry- Wrote: http://emby.media/downloads/emby-for-kodi/

Thanks for your answer, but doesn't this overwrite Kodi ?
I don't really get it. I searched for a while now, but is it a Kodi-Add-on or a distinct software ?
Is there a need for a distinct server ? Could I install this on the WD MyCloud ?

I am quite lost with this one Confused Sorry...

There's a few ways to skin a cat but...Imo, here's the right way,
If you have an old pc/laptop that meets Minimun Requirements install Emby server, use whichever app (they have them all) to access it.. Done!
(2015-09-09, 11:35)ChriKn Wrote: I already tried... It's really difficult to find some instruction about an "online" connection through a MySQL database as everybody just speaks about conecting them at home, through their home router...
I will try to continue my search. But in the meantime, every information is welcome Smile

It should work using the wan ip instead of the lan. Have you tried that solution?

edit: and opening the right port to access your mysql server
Yes the scenario that the OP requested can be made to work with both Emby and MySQL.

Emby is probably easier to set up for most people. You can even add different profiles (in both Kodi and/or Emby) if you want to have different content access between the users.

For the most part the setup is: Install Emby Server on a machine at your house and point to to the media files on the hard drive. After, install the Emby for Kodi addon on each instance of Kodi.

Done.

(ok yes, there is a lot more tweaking to get it 'just right' but those are the basic steps, its very easy).

Personally I use MySQL because it has an extra feature which is missing from Emby. In addition to the MySQL setup, and opening the right ports on your router (for external access) you also need to setup file serving / ftp, and you will be limited by the upload speed of the internet connection, which can be quite slow.

I believe with Emby you can become a paid member and then upload your media to the cloud to avoid this (and gain extra features too).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HELP] Sync Kodi between multiple devices on differents networks0