New Raspberry Pi Offical 7" LCD display
(2015-10-22, 17:53)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-10-22, 04:03)fastattack5 Wrote: Perhaps a dumb question, but are you able to get the display and the regular HDMI to run cloned? I am running the Millhouse nightly and it only displays to the 7" display although the sound comes through the TV...I know I am missing something. Ideally I would love the display to just to show the menu etc with the video actually played out the HDMI port but not sure (based on reading) that this is possible? Any help would be great...

Not supported. In theory it is possible but requires work.
Cloning the display is not quite trivial as the resolutions and aspect ratios are different. It would need code added to duplicate the GUI and video rendering code.

Running video on the one display and gui on other is quite trivial, but I suspect it won't be what you want. The OSD and subtitles will appear on the "wrong" display.
You probably also want photos and visualisations to appear on the big display, but they are part of GUI so that won't happen.

This is a real niche use case, so I'm unlikely to spend the considerable time needed to make it work nicely.
Nothing to stop someone else from implemented it, or perhaps a simpler scheme of using the LCD to display fanart or track details of what is playing (an enhanced LCDproc.

Currently, I'm working on some tool to achieve this.
Tthe tool is designed to show meta information (such us current title, artist, duration...) on a GPIO display.
The tool is not part of kodi but an independant background daemon.
Idea is to gather informations from other processes (e.g. kodi) via a software interface (JSON or stuff) and visualize these informations.
The use case will not be limited to Kodi and I want to have it customaziable via config files.
So, its possible one can see meta information about the current movie in Kodi, then get some information of the emulator game running in retroarch and when the media center is not being used (standby) the displays shows some holiday pictures, weather information or current time and date.

However, I'm in a very early alpha stage. When the initial project is set up properly (software architecture and stuff) I will make it open source.

EDIT: funny you mention LCDproc. Never heard of it but looks cool.
In fact, my tool is designed to be a GUI version of this, allowing background images, fanart, simple widgets and stuff.
lugge - your project does sound very similar to lcdproc.

VDR apparently has a nice option to put info on a second screen too (though not sure if on a Pi or not).
(2015-10-22, 17:53)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-10-22, 04:03)fastattack5 Wrote: Perhaps a dumb question, but are you able to get the display and the regular HDMI to run cloned? I am running the Millhouse nightly and it only displays to the 7" display although the sound comes through the TV...I know I am missing something. Ideally I would love the display to just to show the menu etc with the video actually played out the HDMI port but not sure (based on reading) that this is possible? Any help would be great...

Not supported. In theory it is possible but requires work.
Cloning the display is not quite trivial as the resolutions and aspect ratios are different. It would need code added to duplicate the GUI and video rendering code.

Running video on the one display and gui on other is quite trivial, but I suspect it won't be what you want. The OSD and subtitles will appear on the "wrong" display.
You probably also want photos and visualisations to appear on the big display, but they are part of GUI so that won't happen.

This is a real niche use case, so I'm unlikely to spend the considerable time needed to make it work nicely.
Nothing to stop someone else from implemented it, or perhaps a simpler scheme of using the LCD to display fanart or track details of what is playing (an enhanced LCDproc.

This would be great. I think VDR offers a plugin which does something similar (showing channel name, number, logo, programme information etc. on a second display). I'd love something similar on a Pi 7" Touch screen display.
Has there been any further development on this use? I've got an RPi3 with the official 7" touch that I want to use as a media center to stream content from my PC to the 55" HD TV in the living room - not looking for a cloned display. Just video on the 55" TV and the GUI on the RPi LCD - I'm not worried about sub-titles and such. I'd rather not have to have a keyboard and mouse in the living room, when the touchscreen works fine; I just can't get video the to the TV thru HDMI.
Is there a solution for the display rotation ? the lcd rotate only works in raspbian and doesn't flip the screen on kodi. And the way the screen is build it needs to be rotated for better viewing
(2016-06-16, 23:06)Zeroroel Wrote: Is there a solution for the display rotation ? the lcd rotate only works in raspbian and doesn't flip the screen on kodi. And the way the screen is build it needs to be rotated for better viewing

Are you using "lcd_rotate=2"? That should work fine with kodi.
Yes im using that command, it only flips screen in raspbian, not in kodi
(2016-06-17, 13:04)Zeroroel Wrote: Yes im using that command, it only flips screen in raspbian, not in kodi

debug log (wiki)?
newbie here,@popconrnmix does kodi support dual monitor? the primary monitor for video playback and secondary for remote control.thanks.
(2016-11-21, 19:36)akaw Wrote: newbie here,@popconrnmix does kodi support dual monitor? the primary monitor for video playback and secondary for remote control.thanks.

No.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Raspberry Pi Offical 7" LCD display1