Req Universal weather icons and fanart variables
In trying to setup some things to the new method of using these as additional resources I have come to the conclusion that we might need a better way to select and use them.

Currently with Kodi 16 resources being removed from the skins I have to create menus for things that might get installed or not, and with the use of mutil-image libraries all of the icons and images will need to have two possible views and we need to keep track of which of each of these sets are animated or not. Not to mention we will have to update the skin to support new ones as they are released and added to the repository.

It would be nice for each of these elements to be set from the main settings menu based upon what is or isn't installed, and for that path to be made available as something "standard" no matter what is selected.
So instead of me keeping track of all of them like this: (along with a billion conditional skin settings toggles)
Code:
        <value condition="Skin.HasSetting(WeatherIcons1)">resource://resource.images.weathericons.white</value>
        <value condition="Skin.HasSetting(WeatherIcons2)">resource://resource.images.weathericons.transparent</value>
        <value condition="Skin.HasSetting(WeatherIcons3)">resource://resource.images.weathericons.outline</value>
        <value condition="Skin.HasSetting(WeatherIcons4)">resource://resource.images.weathericons.grey</value>
        <value condition="Skin.HasSetting(WeatherIcons5)">resource://resource.images.weathericons.flat</value>
        <value condition="Skin.HasSetting(WeatherIcons6)">resource://resource.images.weathericons.coloured</value>
        <value condition="Skin.HasSetting(WeatherIcons7)">resource://resource.images.weathericons.animated</value>
        <value condition="Skin.HasSetting(WeatherIcons8)">resource://resource.images.weathericons.3d-white</value>
        <value condition="Skin.HasSetting(WeatherIcons9)">resource://resource.images.weathericons.3d-coloured</value>

We could just use resource://weathericons/ or resource://weatherfanart/

The same way themes and sounds are currently selected.

Or is there a better way I'm not seeing on how to detect what image resources are currently installed and to let the user set them as current? (aside from just hard coding one and not giving them a choice)

Here is my current ugly example of what skin settings needs to look like when trying to use these resources. (I'll spare everyone and not show the 200 lines needed to show them.)
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
Here's what I just did last night, but I'm going to redo it and put a simplified menu directly in the sidebar. Will eliminate a bunch of code too. Also found a couple of icon packs that I plan to turn into addons.

I agree though, would be cool if there was an easier way.

Do you have conditional visibility for each possible addon (even for those not installed yet) or are you scraping the addon folder for things beginning with "resource.images.weathericons." and creating a dynamic list from that to use in skin settings?

But you get what I mean? It's a wonky way to access and use a resource and should be built-in. Currently if someone makes a "resource.images.weathericons.dark" addon, I'm going to have to change a bunch of stuff to make it available.
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
I'm using conditional visibility too. I was thinking that there probably wouldn't be too many new weather icon addons popping up, but I'm currently working on one so maybe others will too. Either way, would be nice for users to be able to set the weather icon pack in Settings > Appearance and then it could be consistent across all skins.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Universal weather icons and fanart variables0