Apple TV 4
Rainbow 
Hi All,

I read recently that Kodi would stop support for Apple TV here:
http://kodi.tv/farewell-to-future-appletv2-development/

Would this be for all Apple TV models?

Also, there is a rumored revamped Apple TV on its way where Apple TV's processor will be upgraded to one of its A8 chips, and also adding more RAM for a speed boost.

On the software side of things, the biggest news is that Apple is reportedly revealing an Apple TV App Store that will allow developers to create third-party apps and games for the device. The article says that Apple will provide a SDK for its Apple TV developers. That said, would you guys think that Kodi could make its return to the newest Apple TV or do you all think that it is unlikely that Kodi makes it even to the newest Apple TV? I understand all of this speculation but I just wanted to know if any others new more about this than me. Would it be worth waiting for the new rumored Apple TV especially if I want Kodi on it?
Going off what they have said for other devices.. I think it all depends on the hardware when it comes out and if they have the resources to spend on the new device..

The ATV3 has not, AFAIK, ever been jailbroken reliably, so assuming the same is true of an ATV4, the only route, I guess, will be an official app. Question is whether Apple would approve one? VLC have had to remove Dolby Digital decode facilities in their iOS app ISTR... I suspect the Kodi devs might not want to release a cut-down version?
If there is an app store then the attack surface would be greatly multiplied. A jail break would most likely happen. But that could take a long time. And then there would need to be people willing to work on it. With so many other great devices to choose from that can do all the same things except for ITunes and have more mature app stores, I don't see any reason why you would want to wait.
A nother thing that is rumored is an SDK. Wouldn't that imply a possibility of developing a Kodi-version for this new device and have it distributed the "normal" non Apple store way, ie download? Also meaning that it could pretty much do what ever the Kodi development team designs it to? (provided the SDK exposes the right functionality and for some obscure reason doesn't outlaw development of apps like Kodi)

Even though I've been using Kodi/Xbmc since the early days on various equipment, I have to say that my experiences with the ATV has been a positive one but the lack of Kodi as a MAJOR negative. So an ATV with Kodi would imo be a great thing.
Also, with the rumored $150-200 price for the new ATV, expected to be announced 9/9, users will have to decide if nVidia Shield TV is the better option for Kodi (assuming Kodi is a possibility at all on new ATV).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
It seems like every couple years talk about a new Apple TV gets hype but really doesn't give us much. After first gen these haven't really been worth using right?

Are you guys kinda underwhelmed as I am? No 4K, just a little better/polished UI, Siri, and a customized App store for TV (with games now). Think nVidia's Shield remains the better choice, especially as it can do all this plus is more open (especially for Kodi). And Kodi possibility on ATV is pretty unlikely I'd think.
My HT
Underwhelmed in the whole announcement really.

Bigger iPad
Smart Cover with Keyboard (shame MS got there first)
Apple Pencil (smell the desperation)
ATV 4 (woo hoo I can order a new pair of pants from my telly)
iphone 6S (Rose Gold, chavtastic)

I am typing this from my Macbook and have an iPhone so not a hater but this announcement really is meh.
I'm not as underwhelmed as you are; I was hoping for 4k support, at least on the top end, but I think you underestimate the value of the App Store. Many of us already have an investment into the iOS ecosystem, and they are saying that you can buy an app on one device and automatically get it for all of them (think iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV), which is handy/cost effective.
Not to mention I can't imagine any reason why Kodi wouldn't be ported to it.
(2015-09-09, 20:57)Painted Wrote: Not to mention I can't imagine any reason why Kodi wouldn't be ported to it.
Apple's strict walled garden. Amazon removed Kodi from theirs.
My HT
And I'm in the market for a new iPad (my iPad 2 is getting quite long in the tooth), so the new iPad Pro sounds very interesting- the only problem is the wife will want one as well, with the pencil (artists!). I guess the announcement is different for different people. I know I've been underwhelmed by Apple events in the past, but I really wasn't by this one.
It's an improved Apple TV. It stands to reason that people won't be excited unless they like Apple TV.

These are all just logical updates to existing products. I think people feel underwhelmed because they get too hyped up before hand. Companies can't keep secrets anymore, either, so we know most of this before they announce it.
True, there were no real surprises here... all info was already leaked prior to this event.
My HT
(2015-09-09, 20:59)hdmkv Wrote:
(2015-09-09, 20:57)Painted Wrote: Not to mention I can't imagine any reason why Kodi wouldn't be ported to it.
Apple's strict walled garden. Amazon removed Kodi from theirs.

Well I guess I'm not as dubious as you then. VLC's in the App Store, as well as other alternative media players, but hey, nobody's going to force you to buy one. Personally I'm hopeful Kodi will be available for it.

(edit to specify hopeful for Kodi in app store)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 42