Apple TV 4
(2015-12-18, 11:53)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm hearing ya, two ATV1's here and all Apple gear in the house, bit of an AMLogic invasion at the moment tho Wink

Apple really nail the GUI and usability factors. Their human to machine interfaces are outstanding on their products, shows what you can do when you Employ some of the best Software Engineers in the world and set strict Frameworks for App development to use those common interfaces. Smile

I just want to play with that very interesting remote control they have on the ATV4.
I might wait for a 4K version, as Santa is delivering a new TV.

To be honest the new remote is one of the things I like least about the ATV4. The older ATV remotes work with it, and I often find I end up using them instead for some things (like text entry). Also the Apple iOS remote app doesn't work - so you can't use an iPhone keyboard (though you can use the Kodi remote and use the Keyboard in that within Kodi only), and they haven't (last time I checked) enabled bluetooth keyboard pairing (as the ATV2/3 had) so you can't use a keyboard for text entry.

However the overall design is very nicely implemented - and there are some great touches. The top row of app icons are able to provide top half/third-ish screen banners as you select them - and some apps use this very well with live updated content before you're even in the app. (Others just show a static graphic)

I'm surprised how much I use Siri to open apps, move to settings etc. - though it doesn't properly work in music yet...
I have to also comment that the new siri remote is a real b**ch to handle programmatically. So many different ways to try and deal with it, makes your head explode Smile

Our 1st attempt (v1.0.1) got raped in user reviews, ouch. v1.1.0 should be better but we still have a ways to go. Still, given that behavior is much, much different than under simulator and we only had three weeks of development under real physical devices. I think we did ok. But certainly an area for improvement.

Behavior under old silver remote is much better, not sure if it's because my fingers have years of practice with it. My main gripe with new remote is I can't even pick it up off the table without accidentally touching the touch pad and having it zip off to some place I don't want to go Smile
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
MrMC, I bought an ATV4 to try out mainly because of your Kodi fork Smile. Nice work, even w/o any support for add-ons. At first, ATV4 seems pretty slick... the UI, the remote, games, but the more I use it, the more I want to switch back over to my nVidia Shield TV. MrMC, for me and perhaps others here, may be its biggest saving grace.

What's with the home screen icons wiggling even when you're over them & haven't actually clicked on one? I see no point to it. To rearrange or delete, I know you need to click and hold.

ATV4 has some games and apps missing from nVidia Shield / Google Play, but overall, rather meh! Not sure I'll keep it.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Noggin, Wrxtasy, MrMC(formerly known as DaVilla), and hdmkv:

I didn't think that one question would trigger a series of replies, but I am very grateful for your input.

Peace
@noggin I don't own an ATV4 but heard they patched the OS to work with the Remote app recently.
(2015-12-19, 02:57)feathers Wrote: @noggin I don't own an ATV4 but heard they patched the OS to work with the Remote app recently.

Thanks for the heads up - will give it a try.
Below are some of the my most-used functions on my current OpenElec setup with cheapo IR HP remote. Can anyone tell me how well the Siri remote currently handles them (if at all)?

1. Jump forwards, backwards.
2. Small jump back.
3. Context menu.
4. Subtitle select
5. Subtitle on/off
6 .Display/info
7. Back

If not, is there a decent third-party bluetooth remote I can buy and configure to do the above?

Does the official Kodi remote app work with ATV4?
(2016-01-04, 08:12)mbriody Wrote: Does the official Kodi remote app work with ATV4?

Yes. They iOS remote app works with both MrMC and side-loaded Kodi on the ATV4. MrMC and Kodi take slightly different approaches to using a Siri remote on the ATV4. To be honest I still also use an old Apple IR remote (which the ATV4 will also receive) as I find buttons better than the touchpad for navigation better in some situations when I'm not using the app.

The main limitations for me on the ATV4 implementation of Kodi are a fixed refresh rate (apps can't change the output refresh rate on tvOS), no 23.976/24p output option, and there are issues with levelspace conversion in the Kodi side load (or were), though MrMC is better. Also worth remembering that AIUI both apps are doing all video decoding in software not hardware - and you are limited to a Bob for native interlaced content at 50/60Hz.
Hi, there is a possibility under Kodi on the Apple TV 4 that the iMac does not go into hibernation ? I SMBup installed and "Hibernate for network access end " activated , but he still goes for about 10 seconds into hibernation and then wake up again . The Kodi tool Wake on LAN does not help either . approvals on mac are also active . I hope you can help me.
Greeting Roland
eBay'ing my ATV4. Barely using it. MrMC salvages it some, but in the end, Shield TV is far superior (for Kodi use, and even apps/games selection).
My Family Room Theater
(2016-01-10, 23:16)hdmkv Wrote: eBay'ing my ATV4. Barely using it. MrMC salvages it some, but in the end, Shield TV is far superior (for Kodi use, and even apps/games selection).

Agreed. Now if only they would fix the awful picture quality issues / colour banding issues. *prays for marshmallow fix*
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
'M' should be landing shortly... previewed at CES. No update or acknowledgement I've seen by nVidia of those video colorspace issues, but hope they fix it.
My Family Room Theater
Hey,

so if you wanna watch 1080p movies streamed from Kodi in ATV 4

It's gonna be laggy?

what device you recommend for kodi?
Is amazon firestick a good one?
Anyone try VLC for the Atv yet? http://www.videolan.org/press/vlc-apple-tv.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 42