Alpha HDHomeRun:// Not working
Adding my name to the list of disappointed users.

Like others here I'm unable to upgrade from Kodi 15.2 due to this feature being removed, and now that Krypton has entered the beta phase I'm concerned that no one on the development team cares about users that relied on this functionality.

It's rather poor practice to remove functional code that's being actively used by the community when there was no need for it to be removed in the first place.
Its poor practice from the community to deny reasons for removing features when they have no idea what they are talking about.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
From reading the dev discussion on GitHub it suggests that the only reason it was removed is because SiliconDust came out with an official add-on (that doesn't support the older units many of us in this thread are using).

It was then proposed that a VFS addon should handle the HDHR protocol instead, but unless I'm mistaken, there still isn't a working HDHR VFS addon that can be used to replace it.

You had a member from your own team arguing against its removal in that discussion, and another member in this thread criticizing the decision as well, so the community isn't alone here.
(2016-09-07, 09:07)Nightsky Wrote: From reading the dev discussion on GitHub it suggests that the only reason it was removed is because SiliconDust came out with an official add-on (that doesn't support the older units many of us in this thread are using).

It was then proposed that a VFS addon should handle the HDHR protocol instead, but unless I'm mistaken, there still isn't a working HDHR VFS addon that can be used to replace it.

You had a member from your own team arguing against its removal in that discussion, and another member in this thread criticizing the decision as well, so the community isn't alone here.

Same guy and not a member any more. Also the add-on was totally unrelated.

Fact: No one forces you to upgrade!! So you want to use the old HDHR then stick with v15. There's absolutely no one who can force us to maintain stuff we don't want.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
The feature was removed for the wrong reasons and no one wanted to revert it. It should never have been removed. Kodi went out of its way, to make the effort, to remove the feature. It has nothing to do with something being unmaintained.

I don't know anything about code, but spiff sure does, and that's basically what he said.

Don't defend removing this feature. It was a mistake, so just move on instead of living in denial.
Has anyone tried using TVHeadend since it should natively support the older HDHomerun devices, thus the TVHeadend PVR addon can be used to view within Kodi.

A quick search reveals this http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=182556
MythTV may also work https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Dual
Also looks like there could be other options as well from http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid=1119966
I confirm poor practice. And i confirm that this is a hobby which HAS to allow for poor practice no matter how many millions of people are using it. There is a lot of poor practice in the project if you want to measure it that way. I personally don't really care. Because if i start caring i will be no part of this project some weeks later anymore due to the stress factor that comes with it.

I still would never ever blame the openwrt developers because latest openwrt doesn't support my old wrt54g router anymore. I would not even consider tracking down why they stopped supporting it. It totally is against what i call "proper behavior in open source land". I think the fact that i don't act that way (and i use a lot of open source and have to buy hardware from time to time to get a supported result too) makes it hard for me to accept anyone else acting that way. And thats why i have such a big problem with the Kodi userbase Smile.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I was hesitant to post about this at all simply because of how long I've used this software for free and because of the fact that it's open source, I don't wish to dismiss all the effort that goes into working on such a large project.

Being able to directly stream from HDHR units was one of the things that made Kodi awesome for me, it was simple and it didn't require me to run an entire PVR backend, it's a feature that I've relied on for years now.

I think the reason you have several vocal users over this issue is because it doesn't make sense to us. It's true that none of us can demand that you maintain something you don't wish to maintain, but from our perspective it appears that a developer went out of their way to kill support for something that's still used by many people for no real reason.

I will continue using Kodi on 15.2, even though there are fixes and features I wanted to use to Jarvis. I love this software and I always looked forward to new releases so I appreciate everything that goes into it.
(2016-09-07, 17:58)Memphiz Wrote: I confirm poor practice. And i confirm that this is a hobby which HAS to allow for poor practice no matter how many millions of people are using it. There is a lot of poor practice in the project if you want to measure it that way. I personally don't really care. Because if i start caring i will be no part of this project some weeks later anymore due to the stress factor that comes with it.

I still would never ever blame the openwrt developers because latest openwrt doesn't support my old wrt54g router anymore. I would not even consider tracking down why they stopped supporting it. It totally is against what i call "proper behavior in open source land". I think the fact that i don't act that way (and i use a lot of open source and have to buy hardware from time to time to get a supported result too) makes it hard for me to accept anyone else acting that way. And thats why i have such a big problem with the Kodi userbase Smile.

At this point I have long since accepted the removal of the HDHomeRun protocol. It's not about blaming anyone or asking for blood, or even asking for anyone to fix it. At this point it's just a fact, it was removed, it's not coming back (unless VFS add-ons become a thing), and it's time to move on. Kodi is still a great program, and great progress is made every day.

However, there are two things happening recently in this thread:

1) Team Kodi members rewriting history and defending a bad decision. Maybe it's done out of pride, but it's foolish. When a group pretends that they can't do any wrong, and that they have not made a mistake, then they should be expect to be called out on their BS. Don't confuse that with the bad users who are demanding and assholes. They are not all the same users. Far too often "everyone" gets written off as "those kinds of users", simply because they said something that wasn't positive.

2) So is it acceptable that HDHomeRun protocol was removed? Of course. It wasn't good, but it wasn't the end of the world. We all move on and live happily. Sometimes Kodi takes a step backwards, but it's always running forward, so the end is positive. However, there will always be lingering users who come across an old discussion like this and still want to comment, because they are finding information out for the first time. It will feel like it's the "same user" beating a dead horse, but it's not the same user. It's something that one has to expect when there are millions of Kodi users.

Instead of acting sharply to those lingering users, just ignore them. It's okay if someone mentions something like this every once and a while. Just let it be and it will go away on its own.
Also, thank you to jjd-uk for pointing out alternatives for old gen HDHR users. It doesn't deny what happened, but it does offer a solution for the future. That's a positive response that looks forward.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDHomeRun:// Not working0