OpenElec works fine but NO version of Linux does
I'm sorry if this has been asked a trillion times.

My HTPC setup: ATX board/case AMD 6800 APU, 46" Bravia TV

I normally use OPENElec, but I would like the other features of a full/stripped down Linux distro.

I tried to install Kodibuntu, MythBuntu, Mint 17 (Cinnamon and Mate), Ubuntu 14.04, from USB or Disc, the installation part runs perfectly but after "installation complete please restart your computer" I restart and then nothing, no splash screen, Logo or nothing, just blank screen.

I can't see it on my home network either.

When running from Live CD/USB, I was able to get some kind of jacked up display, almost impossible to get into "settings" but when I did after changing resolution...in video settings 72" TV was displayed as monitor and it cannot be changed/deselected. I have an old Sony 46" LCD flat screen TV.

Then I tried OpenELEC again and worked fine as usual. What is different with OpenELEC vs. other Linux distros that could be causing thisHuhHuhHuh?

Unfortunately, I don't have another monitor laying around to try.

I've read on some forums that current Linux versions don't like AMD hardware with large screen monitors (drivers)

But that's also strange because I currently run Ubuntu 14.04 on my desktop with 42" TV/monitor without any problems.

I'm currently using OpenELEC, but I want to try KodiBuntu for the increased functionality, so want to go with stripped down Linux version.

Has anyone experienced OpenELEC working, but other Linux distros not?

Thanks for any help.
Try Ubuntu 15.04 ...

and yes - AMD 6800 was a long lasting nightmare until it got fixed ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
you'll need a much newer kernel and mesa for this hardware then what the listed distros provide by default.

Ubuntu 15.04's kernel 3.19 should be enough, although I'm not 100% sure and would recommend >= 4.1 and mesa from my ppa: https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/ubuntu/mesa

kernels are here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
Stock Ubuntu 14.04.03 iso now uses 3.19 kernel. Not that it matters, just thought I'd mention it in case the problem was fixed in kernel 3.19 and you wanted to stay on 14.04.
Thanks guys, I was able to get Ubuntu 15.04 to install, but the screen resolution is all jacked. It's something like 4096 x 2500...how do I change this?

In "Display settings" 72" TV is displayed as monitor and it cannot be changed/deselected, WTFHuh?

Thanks for your help.
post us a kodi Debug Log

and also /usr/lib/kodi/kodi-xrandr | pastebinit
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenElec works fine but NO version of Linux does0