[AirPlay][Warning] Don't update to iOS9 if you want AirPlay to Kodi

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
maui87 Offline
hey memphiz,

thanks for clearing things out. I thought it's also the audio which is not working.
Don' get me wrong I really liked the feature of airplaying video to kodi.
But as I remember videos and pictures aren't working since iOS 8 and also metadata wasn't working as expected (for me) with iOS8 and kodi.
I'm also not a fan of hacky solutions, but I think many people would even enjoy "only" audio without metadata in kodi.
I can imagine that it's not that easy like in a standalone program because it's built-in to kodi.
But for me it sounds like it will take a long time to finish the "complete" solution with handshake and it's not said to be ever finished?!
I don't want to stress you and it sounds that you are the "airplay-guy" in kodi so it must be many work for you and I really appreciate it.
Also I know it's my fault that I pressed the update button (of iOS ;-) )

Another thought: could it be possible to make an extra airplay addon with only audio enabled?
I'm not deep enough in addons, do they need to be written in Python?
Sure I can compile shairport-sync in OSMC at my rpi2 but then kodi and shairport always fight for alsaaudio device.
find quote
steve1977 Offline
Posting Freak
For me, audio, video and pictures work well with IOS8. I frequently use pictures, which is a nice function to project photos to the television. Obviously, I may be minority and will trust memphiz' judgement whether and how to take things forward for IOS9.

Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
find quote
frarev Offline
(2015-09-23 15:06)steve1977 Wrote:  For me, audio, video and pictures work well with IOS8. I frequently use pictures, which is a nice function to project photos to the television. Obviously, I may be minority and will trust memphiz' judgement whether and how to take things forward for IOS9.

Same for me. I use airplay with kodi only for video and that works well with iOs8.

For instance, I use the iPhone applications of different TV network for replay and video on demand (French network Canal plus and French public TV FranceTvPluzz).

So I hope that the amazing développers who work on kodi source will find solution as they found for iOs8.

Thanks
find quote
ssip96 Offline
(2015-09-23 21:52)frarev Wrote:  
(2015-09-23 15:06)steve1977 Wrote:  For me, audio, video and pictures work well with IOS8. I frequently use pictures, which is a nice function to project photos to the television. Obviously, I may be minority and will trust memphiz' judgement whether and how to take things forward for IOS9.

Same for me. I use airplay with kodi only for video and that works well with iOs8.

For instance, I use the iPhone applications of different TV network for replay and video on demand (French network Canal plus and French public TV FranceTvPluzz).

So I hope that the amazing développers who work on kodi source will find solution as they found for iOs8.

Thanks

same for me. i use it to stream audio every day. that's all i have ever used it for.
would very much appreciate an audio only solution
find quote
Memphiz Offline
Kodi MVP
Lol - now you see what i need to Fight with - millions of users with millions of use cases ...

AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
find quote
frarev Offline
(2015-09-24 00:25)ssip96 Wrote:  
(2015-09-23 21:52)frarev Wrote:  

Thanks

same for me. i use it to stream audio every day. that's all i have ever used it for.
would very much appreciate an audio only solution

I'm afraid its not the same. Ssip96 and I use airplay for video and not only audio.
find quote
maui87 Offline
and you get big kudos for that from me.
Strange that it didn't work for me (video) on iOS 8. May also be a distro problem (OSMC, OE, etc.)
Off-topic: got my system now "perfect" to fulfill my needs. A rpi2 with kodi for movies etc. and my cubox with shairport-sync (airplay audio only iOS 9) and spotify connect also on cubox. Because I changed from Iphone to Android last days I really enjoy spotify connect on arm. Airplay on Android never really works for me.
find quote
Bassquake76 Offline
Dammit. I just updated to ios 9.0.1 on me ipad2 and I used AirPlay all the time. I hope this will be fixed soon!
find quote
murphy2 Offline
Looks like shairplay has been fixed:
https://github.com/juhovh/shairplay/comm...a7da72673f

Would be nice to see that in Kodi soon...
find quote
AlexSAlex Offline
waiting to fix! ))))

Another question: will the airplay mirroring works on kodi?
(This post was last modified: 2015-09-28 07:12 by AlexSAlex.)
find quote
frarev Offline
(2015-09-28 07:11)AlexSAlex Wrote:  waiting to fix! ))))

Another question: will the airplay mirroring works on kodi?

It works from iOS 8.
find quote
popcornmix Offline
Team-Kodi Member
(2015-09-28 11:21)frarev Wrote:  
(2015-09-28 07:11)AlexSAlex Wrote:  Another question: will the airplay mirroring works on kodi?

It works from iOS 8.

No. Airplay mirroring has never been implemented in Kodi. Doesn't matter what iOS version you have.
find quote
catkinso Offline
Didn't kodi previously utilise shareplay? Or am I deluded?

Just wondering if these dev paths are a duplicated effort?
find quote
scream88 Offline
Can someone compile and test this solution for osmc rbp1 (https://github.com/juhovh/shairplay/comm...da72673f)?

On my OSMC armv6l-libshairplay-osmc is installed in version 0.1.3.

It would be great if theres a solution to get airplay working again.
find quote
steve1977 Offline
Posting Freak
Would it be possible to keep current implementation of airplay (to support videos and photos with IOS8 and earlier) and - in parallel - implement shairplay for Openelec / Linux to support IOS9 audio. Does this make sense and is that what OSMC has implemented?

Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
find quote