• 7(current)
Kodi on the new AppleTV4
(2015-11-04, 23:49)kilyman Wrote: Why? Why a stipped down Kodi. I was xbmc user since ever. Liked ATV 1 with XBMC with crystal HD Hardware and day by day optimized my kodi database. I switched to ATV2 then pivos and now i used a Ouya with Kodi 14.2 It is perfect stable and fast. The only reason to buy a ATV4 is a perfect working kodi 15.x. Who needs a only player without skins and addons? So Perhaps go for a NVIDIA Shield 4k and kodi and capable of voice search via remote. Perhaps it is easier build this into kodi as making a tvos build. I really love Apple but who wants to downgrade features

So MrMC is not for you, wait for Kodi to catch up and sideload it then.
Am I reasonable to assume that atleast one of the forks would support ISO and DVD folder structures.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

If Kodi gets up and running on ATV4, will it be able to passthrough DTSHDMA and DD True HD? i.e. HD audio? If not can it to normal DTS and DD5.1?

Thanks.
The fact that not even osx can passthrough HD audio formats suggests that no HD audio will be available for atv4 too. DTS and DD5.1 Passthrough will most likely work (already saw the needed 16bit audio option in the appletv4 settings).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
If MrMC cannot end up passing through lossless audio formats, I hope that perhaps they can decode the lossless formats to 5.1/7.1 PCM on the device and output that. When the new Apple TV is set to "auto" surround mode, it outputs PCM audio up to 7.1 channels so this could work well. Decoding to PCM would still get us lossless audio output from the box. The only thing it cannot do that way is Atmos though.
(2015-11-05, 12:38)Memphiz Wrote: The fact that not even osx can passthrough HD audio formats suggests that no HD audio will be available for atv4 too. DTS and DD5.1 Passthrough will most likely work (already saw the needed 16bit audio option in the appletv4 settings).
That's exactly my concern.

Right now I'm trying to replace my HTPC and am testing the Nvidia Shield and Apple TV.

The Apple TV has much more content (even though it's new!), but doesn't support 24p or HD audio. Because no other applications have managed to support DTS or HD audio, I'm a bit skeptical on MrMC Sad
24p is likely possible, but will require an OS update from Apple (submit your feedback to them), or a jailbreak and a third-party hack. Even without 24p, it looks like the ATV4 is turning out to be the best overall media streamer available (in the $100-$200 price range).
The Apple TV is very impressive, but I'd still like Dolby TrueHD and DTS/DTS-HD in addition to 24p to make it "perfect" (and a complete replacement for my HTPC)
To be honest, and this is just my opinion, I don't really care about had audio as I don't have a DTS or prologic surround system setup, just my tv and apple tv2, if I wanted to have all the super duper DTS 7.1 surround sound and THX etc etc I would not have got rid of my pioneer 7.1 surround system and would still have my blurry player.

The missus never let me have it turned on anyway as it was too loud....

My apple tv4 is sitting in the box waiting for Kodi /mrmc to be launched, until then I'm quite happy with my old Apple tv2
(2015-11-05, 20:10)tomvs123 Wrote: 24p is likely possible, but will require an OS update from Apple (submit your feedback to them), or a jailbreak and a third-party hack. Even without 24p, it looks like the ATV4 is turning out to be the best overall media streamer available (in the $100-$200 price range).
I would not count on 24p support at all and would be very very surprised if Apple released Firmware to support 24p. You don't buy a device on features that "may happen sometime in the future". Thats just hot air and speculation.

I was reading on the threads and confused.

Is there a way to get kodi on a apple tv 4?
80 percent vs 20 percent. less than 20 percent care or even understand what 24p means. They just want to watch a video or tv show.

Again, if you want perfection (BTW nothing is 100 percent except maybe death and even that we don't really know Smile get desktop class iron with a recent GPU card and OpenElec. That's the only way to get close and maybe be future-proof.
(2015-11-06, 05:22)apehead1 Wrote: I was reading on the threads and confused.

Is there a way to get kodi on a apple tv 4?

not yet.
(2015-11-06, 05:27)MrMC Wrote: 80 percent vs 20 percent. less than 20 percent care or even understand what 24p means. They just want to watch a video or tv show.
That may be the case with all you Septics, that live on the other side of the Big Blue Planet we call Earth that know no better, but there are a bunch of more cultured 24p movie fans that hate 3:2 pulldown that live elsewhere. Wink Wink

(2015-11-06, 05:46)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-11-06, 05:27)MrMC Wrote: 80 percent vs 20 percent. less than 20 percent care or even understand what 24p means. They just want to watch a video or tv show.
That may be the case with all you Septics, that live on the other side of the Big Blue Planet we call Earth that know no better, but there are a bunch of more cultured 24p movie fans that hate 3:2 pulldown that live elsewhere. Wink Wink

HAHAHAHAH. Serves you right for standardizing on 50 hertz Smile
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on the new AppleTV45