• 5(current)
Kodi on the new AppleTV4
Many apps such as Asphalt8 download main resources after downloading the App Store version so they don't have a problem with the 200 MB limit.
Kodi 15 on:
Kodibuntu with Ubuntu 14.04 (self compiled), Mac OS X El Capitan, iPhone 6, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV and Nexus 4.
Thank You very much for your work MrMC/davilla!!!

The thing most people here doesn't understand how much work there is be to port... and what it means to not use python for kodi/xbmc...

I see no problems with skins, since its not up to you...
i would just disable all skins/addons that uses python and are incompatible, if you can make it possible...

Everyone who wants custom skins, some interested people can make some new skins that are compatible...
I see this not as a problem, since graphics exists, and only the skin xml's need to be redone...
sure its at least a one more step that need to be done... but thats the only option i see...

And about PVR / 1080p24 / Dolby / DTS / etc...
All i can say, this is all not necessary for the first release... thats all time-consuming and can be done if possible with updates...

I know that people here wants a perfect kodi working solution from day 1, and the day should be perfectly today....
but this is not possible until you want wait some months... till this project here gets forgotten...

So all i want to say here, thanks MrMC that you do all the work here,
dont dig around with problems you can't solve yet, and don't dig around with users that have here "impossible Phantasies" lol...
What i read in this forum makes me thinking how stupid some users might be... but however^^

For the Xcode Sideload method: i don't think kodi is even compatible with Xcode... Never looked into source, but so far i see no one from the koi-team want make it Xcode compatible... Seem to me like a lot of work... If im not right, correct me...

Only one thing MrMC, that i want to request, if you put everything into GUI, please put it under settings or somewhere, not in the main screen i mean :-)

Everything else should be a future improvement ...

However i said enough, thank you for your awesome work :-)

Cheers :-)
Apple states the following:
Quote:Local Storage for Your App Is Limited

The maximum size of an Apple TV app is limited to 200 MB. Moreover, your app can only access 500 KB of persistent storage that is local to the device (using the NSUserDefaults class). Outside of this limited local storage, all other data must be purgeable by the operating system when space is low. You have a few options for managing these resources:
  • Your app can store and retrieve user data in iCloud.
  • Your app can download the data it needs into its cache directory. Downloaded data is not deleted while the app is running. However, when space is low and your app is not running, this data may be deleted. Do not use the entire cache space as this can cause unpredictable results.
  • Your app can package read-only assets using on-demand resources. Then, at runtime, your app requests the resources it needs, and the operating system automatically downloads and manages those resources. Knowing how and when to load new assets while keeping your users engaged is critical to creating a successful app. For information on on-demand resources, see On-Demand Resources Guide

This means that every app developed for the new Apple TV must be able to store data in iCloud and retrieve it in a way that provides a great customer experience.
source: https://developer.apple.com/library/prer...ppleTV_PG/
(2015-11-03, 17:16)Ramalama Wrote: For the Xcode Sideload method: i don't think kodi is even compatible with Xcode... Never looked into source, but so far i see no one from the koi-team want make it Xcode compatible... Seem to me like a lot of work... If im not right, correct me...

Allow me to correct you Smile Kodi for iOS does support the Xcode Sideload method. Several people have successfully sideloaded Kodi for iOS onto their iOS 9 devices (iPhone, iPad) using Xcode 7. The Readme for Kodi iOS on the xbmc github page describes how to execute this process. Kodi iOS of course is not compatible with tvOS, but this same method works for tvOS compatible applications (e.g. Provenance game emulator).
(2015-11-03, 16:58)loekf Wrote: I thought an app could load more assets (from iCloud) after the inital 200 MB max. download. AFAIK, the downloadable assets are managed into some kind of pool to avoid the ATV would run out of storage. So, if a running app needs assests, assets from non-running apps are "paged out" (removed).

Wrt advancedsettings.xml, so you moved the buffer and redraw stuff to formal GUI settings ? Finally !! Hopefully this will end up into Kodi as well. Fixing buffering issues on e.g. the Shield is PITA.

There is no iCloud Documents present on the ATV4, only iCouldKit and it is a pain in the ass Smile

Buffering is one thing that will not move, it's a hack and hides the fact that the entire kodi buffering scheme is broke. There are already way too many 'buffers' internally and they all tend to fight each other.
Are you really able to include DTS and/or DTS-HD passthrough support?

I thought that because the Apple TV itself wasn't licensed that you couldn't use it in your app?

1080p/24 I think is minor for me, but I really do want HD audio passthrough (Dolby Digital 7.1 TrueHD and DTS-HD)
(2015-11-03, 18:01)kaess Wrote:
(2015-11-03, 17:16)Ramalama Wrote: For the Xcode Sideload method: i don't think kodi is even compatible with Xcode... Never looked into source, but so far i see no one from the koi-team want make it Xcode compatible... Seem to me like a lot of work... If im not right, correct me...

Allow me to correct you Smile Kodi for iOS does support the Xcode Sideload method. Several people have successfully sideloaded Kodi for iOS onto their iOS 9 devices (iPhone, iPad) using Xcode 7. The Readme for Kodi iOS on the xbmc github page describes how to execute this process. Kodi iOS of course is not compatible with tvOS, but this same method works for tvOS compatible applications (e.g. Provenance game emulator).

So i don't understand why MrMC does this hard work...
If its only need to be ported to support tvos, we can side load kodi from Xcode...

It seems in my eyes a much easier / faster method to get it working on tvos...

But however, it seems like it discussed already, the team won't make a side load method as far i understood in this thread...

However, thanks :-)
You do not need a license to passthough. You are not decoding anything, just moving unaltered bytes. The license requirements transfer to the amp/receiver/hdtv that DOES the actual decode. That would be like requiring your browser have AC3/DTS licensing because you can download a file that contains AC3/DTS audio. Playing it in a browser is a different story.

As for AC3/AC3-HD, the ATV4/TVOS carries the license for that. iOS devices do not. This has already been discussed on the Apple Developer Forums and 'blessed' by Apple. By the way, AC3 patents expire in 2016-2017, little hard to pin down the exact dates.

As for DTS/DTS-HD, there are ways around it if we still lack licensing when we want to submit. Worst case would be the first release missing native DTS decode. Passthough for both AC3 and DTS will be present, for osx, ios and tvos.
Also to those that have emailed about helping, please wait for the public release of MrMC codebase, it will not be long in coming. Things are moving very fast and I just don't have time to guide external help right now. The offers are greatly appreciated though.

And forum moderations, I realize that Kodi forums are NOT the place to be promoting MrMC and I do apologize and will try to restrain myself from now on Smile
Will MrMC be searchable via tvOS universal search? I recognize that this is probably a huge task.
(2015-11-03, 20:28)cbmuir Wrote: Will MrMC be searchable via tvOS universal search? I recognize that this is probably a huge task.

I would guess the answer would be no. The Siri API hasn't been released yet. Once that is released I am sure it would be looked into.
althekiller Wrote:I like how this thread went from "specifically sound" to "overclocking." It was a good attempt guys, almost a thread that could be useful in the future.

I really miss althekiller :(
Oh damn, I didn't even think about skins. I'm so used to a flashy skin on Kodi I can't imagine going back to Confluence. That skin hurts my soul Big Grin

Still, beggars can't be choosers at this stage.
Is there a more appropriate place to discuss MrMC?
(2015-11-03, 06:55)MrMC Wrote: MrMC fork will include pvr Smile

Thanks for all your work Smile Reg. PVR Support. Is the ATV4 capable of doing 1080i h264 deinterlacing?

Thanks again for your work and it would be great if someone could give an Info reg. deinterlacing.

Regards
Vlaves
(2015-11-03, 23:24)ptaylor Wrote: Is there a more appropriate place to discuss MrMC?

Perhaps a google search might turn up something Smile Think what a proper domain name would be.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on the new AppleTV45