Flirc case + Power on/off inkl. IR + RTC (parent proof)
So I've been tinkering about with an idea to make my current small and portable PI in it's Flirc case a little more parent proof.
I would rather that my parents press a button to power down the PI than yank the power cord out.

I've currently got a RPI 2, so to the this I added:
- a power on/off button with IR (http://www.msldigital.com/collections/al...-plus-2015)
- a RTC unit, incase the PI isn't connected to the internet (http://thepihut.com/collections/raspberr...spberry-pi).

Since these 2 units share the samme placement on the GPIO pins, I was wondering if this was possible to place into the Flirc case.
But the 2 units only share 1 Ground pin, so after a little soldering (with thx to my brother), I ended up with this looking modul.

The GPIO plug on the RTC unit has been removed completly, and then soldered it to wires that connect it to the ON/OFF modul.
I've also removed the plastic power button on the top of the ON/OFF modul, you'll see why later.
Lastly the IR and LED units on the ON/OFF modul where attached to wires, since I'm planning to place them to the "front" of the Flirc case.

The "new" modul placed on to the RPI 2.
That small sylinder at the front of the board is a spacer, made of 6mm pipe with masking tape, that slots right in between the two holes on the RPI and modul.
The RTC unit is also been covered with electrical tape, since it will just be lying about in the case then it's closed up.

Next step was to modify the Flirc case itself.
Firstly I masked the whole aluminium case with masking tape, to protect the paint on the Flirc. Then drilled/filled out the holes for the power supply and IR/LED window (pictures of those further down).
Also had to drill out a hole for the power button, countersink two slots to place fastning nuts. And lastly rout out some of the fixings inside of the case.

Image Image

Then it was time to put it all together (had to get hold of some 2.5x25mm machine screws for assembly)

The PI and modul placed into the Flirc case.

Image Image

Front and back of finished case.

To turn if on and off, you only have to press the top of the Flirc case.

Image Image

Green powering up, Red shuting down.
Why don't you just power it from USB cable connected via tv USB, so when they turn off/on tv the device off/on
Wanted to safely power down the system, to avoid any potenial file corruption. And the main theme of mod was to try some differnt stuff out Tongue
Looks like a moni NUC, very nice. Smile
Looks gorgeous
Looks great!! Thanks for sharing.
This is really cool. From the first moment I saw the FLIRC case, I thought the top looked like a perfect, big button. Nice to see someone had the same idea and actually did something with it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Flirc case + Power on/off inkl. IR + RTC (parent proof)0