• 4(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
Nice mini review. I want to point out that there is no 1080p for Hulu. Hulu is only 720p max. It is also incorrect to say that there is no 24p HD Netflix on nVIDIA SHIELD. Yes, it is true that Netflix doesn't switch to 24p automatically, but you can set the resolution to 24p for 1080p and 2160p on SATV.

The title of the thread is also a little misleading. It gives the impression that WeTek Core does 4K Netflix, which it does not. It doesn't have HDCP 2.2 or 10-bit HEVC support. So, there is absolutely no way it can do 4K Netflix.
Thanks for the Hulu correction, and agreed I will change the title for less confusion.

I'm going to clarify the review and say this box does perfect 23.976fps Netflix video Sync which the nVIDIA Shield will not do.

(2015-10-15, 07:46)wrxtasy Wrote: I will change the title for less confusion.
Title is no longer misleading Smile

So, does this have Android 5.1.1 or Android TV OS? From WeTeK's YouTube videos it looked like it had the leanback launcher.
Cheers.
Thanks for the help W.
Regarding HDCP 2.2 or 10-bit HEVC, do you know what 10-bit picture quality improvements (visually) an end user would actually see say when sitting on a couch ?

4K TV's for those reading are also another clever marketing con job. You really have to view a 4K TV from up close (like you do in the sales shop) to tell the difference from 1080p. 10 feet away sitting on the couch a viewer would be hard pressed to spot the 4K difference.

Regarding this Leanback launcher, how do I tell the difference from Android TV OS ?

(2015-10-15, 08:04)wrxtasy Wrote: Regarding HDCP 2.2 or 10-bit HEVC, do you know what 10-bit picture quality improvements (visually) an end user would actually see say when sitting on a couch ?

4K TV's for those reading are also another clever marketing con job. You really have to view a 4K TV from up close (like you do in the sales shop) to tell the difference from 1080p. 10 feet away sitting on the couch a viewer would be hard pressed to spot the 4K difference.

Regarding this Leanback launcher, how do I tell the difference from Android TV OS ?

10-bit applies not only to color depth, but also to the encoding. 10-bit encoding is more efficient. As for 10-bit color depth, you will notice the difference best in grayscale- smoother gradations.

Yes, the benefit of 4K is really dependent upon the display size and viewing distance. For viewing at 10 feet, you do need at least a 75" display.

You can check Google Play Store. Android TV OS Play Store is different. You will see fewer apps listed.
(2015-10-15, 08:04)wrxtasy Wrote: Regarding HDCP 2.2 or 10-bit HEVC, do you know what 10-bit picture quality improvements (visually) an end user would actually see say when sitting on a couch ?

10 bit video properly handled will significantly reduce quantisation artefacts, meaning graduated content should have far less visible banding (as there are 4 times as many greyscale levels in 10 bit as 8 bit) 10 bit video has been used in production - or has been an option - since SD digital video became common in studios and OB trucks in the 90s. (Both SD D5 uncompressed and DigiBeta 2:1 compressed were 10 bit on-tape formats) SDI is a 10 bit-friendly interconnect standard.

Similarly HD Cam SR (the standard HD tape format for mastering) and AVC Intra 100Mbs (the format that is replacing HD Cam SR for file-based master delivery in many regions) are both based on 10 bit codecs.

These days the 8-bit standard is often only imposed on transmission encoding, or Blu-ray/DVD mastering, with 10 bit content surviving all the way from acquisition to transmission (though in some cases 8 bit codecs are still used so 10 bit is not universal)

10 bit may also improve picture detail in very saturated content - particularly blues and reds, where most of the information is carried in the half-bandwidth Cr and Cb channels due to the very low contribution to the full-bandwidth Y channel.
The title claiming 23.976 seems a little forced.
Havent seen any screenshot from testing hardware showing the fractioned framerate.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2015-10-15, 11:25)couto27 Wrote: The title claiming 23.976 seems a little forced.
Havent seen any screenshot from testing hardware showing the fractioned framerate.
I think wesk05 or one of the other AMLogic guys knows about 23.976fps sync with Netflix as well on AMLogic SoC's.
The MINIX guys certainly know about this as they use the same AMLogic Frame Rate Automation Kernels (FRAK) as well. They even have the same sort of option to turn this on an off in Android as WeTek uses.

I visually see the same silky smooth 23.976fps sync with Netflix 720x480p on the AMLogic S805 in the ODROID C1+
Again using the FRAK Kernel. I was involved in the initial testing and a bit of bug busting of the ODROID C1 FRAK Kernel too.

The HDMI clocks may be "forced" to do a bit of bending, but I'm not the only one that has seen this 23.976fps sync behaviour with 23.976fps video streaming from Netflix on AMLogic SoC's
You will just have to buy a Core and test yourself !

Thanks for the detailed info on 10-bit wesk05 and Noggin.
Added to the "Noggin's Knowledge" video reference folder I'm keeping. Wink

I can't seem to find a place that sells the WeTek Core. Can you provide a link.
thanks
The one I have is a pre release bug busting test box, patches are still being put into OpenELEC at the moment.
I'm impressed with the stability of the Android Firmware for a pre release sample tho. Fast too.

I believe sometime around the end of the month is when it goes on sale.

http://wetek.com/product/wetek-core

(2015-10-15, 13:50)wrxtasy Wrote: The one I have is a pre release bug busting test box, patches are still being put into OpenELEC at the moment.
I'm impressed with the stability of the Android Firmware for a pre release sample tho. Fast too.

I believe sometime around the end of the month is when it goes on sale.

http://wetek.com/product/wetek-core

Thanks
(2015-10-15, 12:17)wrxtasy Wrote: I think wesk05 or one of the other AMLogic guys knows about 23.976fps sync with Netflix as well on AMLogic SoC's.
The MINIX guys certainly know about this as they use the same AMLogic Frame Rate Automation Kernels (FRAK) as well. They even have the same sort of option to turn this on an off in Android as WeTek uses.
I think what couto27 is saying is there is no confirmation that it is indeed 23.976Hz and he is actually right, the output is not quite 23.976, it is actually 23.9758xx (I will have to check what the last two digits are. I don't seem to remember it). I had raised this issue with Minix and was informed that Amlogic CTO said it is a limitation of the Java layers in Android. In reality, this difference is highly unlikely to cause any noticeable stutter.

WeTeK has resorted to a different approach to enable automatic switching to 24p for DRM protected services like Netflix. Amlogic's method is to use FFmpeg to probe the AV stream, read the frame rate of the content and switch the output refresh rate. This doesn't work for DRM protected HD content because it is sent to a protected layer.
We really are splitting hairs here, just watched at least 30 mins of a lot of wide Panning Shots of 1080p Interstellar on Netflix and you guessed it silky smooth 23.976fps. I don't care what the numbers say.

Yes I did read CS from WeTek put a bunch of work in to get this to work properly on DRM content. I'm glad he did too, I cannot stand 3:2 pulldown judder. It hurts my brain Sad

CS was also saying this Android App - Auto Refresh rate Switching function was going to be a list of user selectable Apps you could individually enable and disable. That would be for a future Android update sometime.

.9758xx is close enough...

dropping a frame each 80 minutes or so..
Read through the thread...

If it doesn't bitstream both DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, it's a failure. Simply, a failure, and doesn't distinguishes itself from the other 5000+ cheap android boxes out there..
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4